OVH Community, your new community space.

Help - They say I broke TOS?

fozl
26-08-2010, 09:59
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
fozl - This is because we host VPS's and the 1st, 2nd, month there can be a lot of abuse reports and we have to terminate a lot of clients the first time. Our server was never hacked, it was just malicious clientele that sign up (since it's EU VPS I guess...) and think they can do whatever they want. We worked hard to terminate all these users, and have done it. Now that our server is full, we aren't putting anymore clients on it and we have already pruned the bad clients.

And some of your hack attempt warnings were false-positives. Some clients were actually runing legitimate applications that were marked as fraud.
Well apparently you were told this...

> Dear "Speedy059",
>
> On 2010-08-11 @ 12:35:40 - We put the server into semi hack to due complaints about spamming
>
> On 2010-08-15 @ 09:40:42 - We put the server into semi hack to due complaints about spamming
>
> On 2010-08-18 @ 18:39:11 - We put the server into FULL hack to due complaints about spamming
>
> On 2010-08-22 @ 05:34:20 - We put the server into semi hack to due complaints about spamming
>
> And finally
>
> On 2010-08-24 @ 10:05:48 - We put the server into semi hack to due complaints about spamming
>
> You were acknowledging that spam was originating from your dedicated server through the exchanges on:
>
> 17/08/2010 16:21:06 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 17/08/2010 12:33:56 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 17/08/2010 10:36:47 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 17/08/2010 10:30:34 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 16/08/2010 17:52:49 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 15/08/2010 09:40:42 Re: Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
> 11/08/2010 12:35:40 Ticket 514301 - Hack Detection
>
> Essentially, what you should consider is that after the first time of OVH putting the server into semi hack, in order to give you a chance to cease the spamming, you did not do so adequately and we continued to receive complaints.
>
> You will have ftp access to remove whatever you need that is still on the server however you will not be able to use the server again as you have broken our terms of service.
>
> We do not tolerate the use of OVH servers for spam.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan.
> OVH.ie Support
I think that's fair enough, but if you're still not satisfied then please do feel free to address the correct forum for customers of ovh.ie:

I'm now closing this thread as it's the wrong forum for you, and the precise reason that your server was closed has now been explained with detail.

Thelen
26-08-2010, 02:47
Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre
hes a secret "LW" employee!! omg :P
Wish I was And yea I do, because LW is OVH biggest competitor who is rapidly approaching OVH cost especially for people that want more reliability.

That's what baffles me though, they have to be suitable for businesses otherwise they wouldn't have over 80,000 servers in their datacenters? Obviously I need to figure out what went wrong here, and need to communicate with them.....which is extremely hard to do.
Well there is a huge number of servers used for budget services (VPS, seedbox, media hosting etc) where the assumption is that it won't be 100% reliable.

For the rest, even a local French fish and chip shop can afford the 20GBP a month for a c250g and generally won't have any problems and if they do don't care too much.

It is just the demanding clients, which actually make up very small amount of the servers, who have problems like this.

But then, it is always the case. Most of your VPS customers probably know that $15 a month is dirt cheap so a day or two outage is still good value. It is only the cheapass people that expect a world class service with 110% uptime.

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 23:34
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Ditch OVH and move on. They're not suitable for business.
That's what baffles me though, they have to be suitable for businesses otherwise they wouldn't have over 80,000 servers in their datacenters? Obviously I need to figure out what went wrong here, and need to communicate with them.....which is extremely hard to do.

Winit
25-08-2010, 22:15
Ditch OVH and move on. They're not suitable for business.

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 19:42
They told us to backup our content, and I was. Problem was is that I had 300GB worth of data and wasn't long enough. I need to back it up.

This is so completely wrong. There is very limited access to the staff in IE to talk with them, and there is no way of getting our IP's and Data. This is insane... can someone from co.uk help me get access to the data and the IP addresses?

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 19:39
fozl - This is because we host VPS's and the 1st, 2nd, month there can be a lot of abuse reports and we have to terminate a lot of clients the first time. Our server was never hacked, it was just malicious clientele that sign up (since it's EU VPS I guess...) and think they can do whatever they want. We worked hard to terminate all these users, and have done it. Now that our server is full, we aren't putting anymore clients on it and we have already pruned the bad clients.

And some of your hack attempt warnings were false-positives. Some clients were actually runing legitimate applications that were marked as fraud.

darkfyre
25-08-2010, 19:25
hes a secret "LW" employee!! omg :P

fozl
25-08-2010, 17:45
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
That there is your first mistake

2nd mistake is expecting any sort of 'business' service from OVH

Aside from that, unfortunately you are up **** creek without a paddle. You are totally at the mercy of OVH in this matter, even if they are 'technically' 'breaking' their TOS (which they are).

Move to LW or SL
You mention "LW" quite a lot.

Thelen
25-08-2010, 17:20
We paid $500 for those IP's and server and are being treated like a bunch of low-life hackers!????
That there is your first mistake

2nd mistake is expecting any sort of 'business' service from OVH

Aside from that, unfortunately you are up **** creek without a paddle. You are totally at the mercy of OVH in this matter, even if they are 'technically' 'breaking' their TOS (which they are).

Move to LW or SL

fozl
25-08-2010, 17:16
NOt Dan says our server is going to be terminated? What in the world has happened, we resolved all abuse issues immediately as they came...and now we are getting side swiped. What about the /24 block we purchased? Can we at least move that to another server? We paid $500 for those IP's and server and are being treated like a bunch of low-life hackers!????
I think there's a misunderstanding here, you think that reacting to all hack alerts promptly is what we want (and don't get me wrong, it is) but there's also the question of volume.

There've been so many hack alerts on your server, that it was decided to take further action. FYI, usually there's a 3-Strikes rule for hacked servers. If a server is hacked a couple of times ok, it can happen. But repeatedly being hacked indicates (usually) that the admin is not sufficiently taking measures to protect the server. Or at least that is a conclusion that can be drawn.

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 11:02
NOt Dan says our server is going to be terminated? What in the world has happened, we resolved all abuse issues immediately as they came...and now we are getting side swiped. What about the /24 block we purchased? Can we at least move that to another server? We paid $500 for those IP's and server and are being treated like a bunch of low-life hackers!????

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 10:45
Quote Originally Posted by fozl
Best to email us with the details so we can see what the matter is.
I have, but since i'm from the USA I have to contact the guys from IE, and they seemed to be stretched thin and don't reply that often. Dan is the one who seems to reply, and is normally once per day.

fozl
25-08-2010, 09:38
Best to email us with the details so we can see what the matter is.

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 08:00
Not really looking to complain or claim they are in the wrong, I would just like to know how I can be in their "good graces" and not get suspended/terminated?

Normally on new servers all abuse reports are within the first 1-2 months while new clients are provisioned. During that time we are heavily monitoring the servers for violators and terminate them immediately. Sometimes they slip through and we don't know until the DC notifies us, in which case we terminate them immediately.

Since we resolve abuse complaints within 24 hours (usualy 12) we have never had any suspended servers with other datacenters before. This is the first time we have ever getting a server suspended after we resolve abuse complaints within 12 hours.

Speedy059
25-08-2010, 07:28
I'm kind of confused with OVH at the time. As they have disabled our server for breaking their TOS. We resolve all abuse issues (even the false-positives they give us) promptly and usually within 12 hours. We host VPS's and sometimes these clients sign up with us with the wrong intentions and we don't know about it until an abuse report comes in, which we resolve immediately.

How can I let OVH know that we have been resolving all issues quickly and that some of their "abuse reports" are false? I feel like I'm being victimized over things we didn't do. We have received