OVH Community, your new community space.

500gb USB HDD'S

LawsHosting
02-09-2010, 22:04
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Cheap server = expensive extras. It does make sense.
Kimsufi's are cheap, but the OVH range is a different story (well, to some people).

Winit
02-09-2010, 20:35
Cheap server = expensive extras. It does make sense.

LawsHosting
02-09-2010, 19:05
Once upon a time you could just buy these for an one-off fee....... Making you the owner!

Andy
02-09-2010, 18:01
OVH don't care which is why they won't sell any except to those who have insane amounts of money and couldn't care less.

Simple fact is I think they don't want you to have them more than anything.

Myatu
02-09-2010, 17:32
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
Yep you are right there that its that page that tells you about setup etc but that is only on the main ovh site we have kimsufi's.
Ah, I see. This is the OVH forum after all But, I couldn't find it on the Kimsufi site though, so IMO this should be added there. I didn't even know you could add USB disks to Kimsufi's though...

mvegetto
02-09-2010, 16:16
There will be someday that OVH will have to admit that this is the wrong way.

RikT
02-09-2010, 12:26
Lmao it seems its as it always is a difficult issue that the ovh staff know that they are in the wrong about they seem to ignore the thread answer all other threads except the ones where they seem to know they are in the wrong

mvegetto
02-09-2010, 12:01
OVH doesn't seem to care. OVH has always been like this, it's not friendly at all.

RikT
02-09-2010, 11:44
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
BTW: http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/usb_disk.xml - that mentions the setup fee and "Professional" option. Nevertheless, if this isn't explained (again) at time of order, I do find that misleading - as in "rogue used-car dealer" misleading...
Yep you are right there that its that page that tells you about setup etc but that is only on the main ovh site we have kimsufi's. So shouldnt this be on the kimsufi site as well if it applies to those as well as that is where you order from not the main ovh website so misleading isnt the word in my mind at the moment fraudelnet and damn right criminal spring to mind but hey this is ovh they can make the rules up as they go along and not worry about advertisement laws and stuff

Myatu
01-09-2010, 21:51
BTW: http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/usb_disk.xml - that mentions the setup fee and "Professional" option. Nevertheless, if this isn't explained (again) at time of order, I do find that misleading - as in "rogue used-car dealer" misleading...

Anyhow, depending on the disk usage - or better said, utilization - you could look into the Kimsufi FS range (low end) or HG X...L range (top end) to use as an external storage solution. Then use something like NFS to access the storage from your existing servers - they can remain largely unaltered then, whilst existing customers can be moved onto the storage server(s).

Another alternative is GlusterFS, but when working with existing servers this will become a very cumbersome and demanding task. It would involve converting existing servers' storage space into "storage bricks", shared across all servers. So if one server had 10 GB free space, but another 100 GB, you'd have 110 GB to share between the two.

But both these alternative options would also "eat" at your bandwidth. So 100Mbps connections aren't recommended and if you were to guarantee a certain speed, this would be reduced then (due to the storage server traffic). Just throwing in some options though

yonatan
01-09-2010, 17:12
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
And what if you have ~150 clients on a server, a new server isn't really feasible. Some may want extra disk space etc.......
just move the "heavy" clients to the new server and everybody will be happy.

LawsHosting
01-09-2010, 16:35
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
get another server ... that's the best solution.
And what if you have ~150 clients on a server, a new server isn't really feasible. Some may want extra disk space etc.......

yonatan
01-09-2010, 16:20
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
I have Kimsufi servers, when my space runs out, what happens then and I don't want to pay for the USB drive (due to price, as this thread stresses). So my only option will be get another server - which is all very well for new clients, but what about my existing ones? What do others do in this situation? I'd be interested to know.
get another server ... that's the best solution.

LawsHosting
01-09-2010, 15:57
I have Kimsufi servers, when my space runs out, what happens then and I don't want to pay for the USB drive (due to price, as this thread stresses). So my only option will be get another server - which is all very well for new clients, but what about my existing ones? What do others do in this situation? I'd be interested to know.

RikT
01-09-2010, 14:22
Hmm this is really misleading as it shows that info about setup etc but nothing on the kimsufi site at all which this machine is so if not on the site then cannot make that stupid charge as there is no mention on kimsufi.co.uk of 29.99 setup fees and the like so as far as I am concerned this only applies to the OVH pro series

Rilly
01-09-2010, 14:16
There was a discussion on this a while ago... there weren't too many people thinking it was a great idea !

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...light=external

RikT
01-09-2010, 14:12
Quote Originally Posted by Rilly
you also need to pay the 15.00 a month professional fee to have a USB drive attached.. so, within 2 months, the drive is paid for in full, and the rest is 'revenue'
It does not say that either

Rilly
01-09-2010, 14:11
you also need to pay the 15.00 a month professional fee to have a USB drive attached.. so, within 2 months, the drive is paid for in full, and the rest is 'revenue'

RikT
01-09-2010, 14:00
I created an order for a usb hdd order number is 8216333.
I was totally shocked to find a 29.99 installation fee for this on the order when as ordering through the manager it says nowhere that this fee is applicable anywhere as far as i can see and I am certainly not going to pay the fee for that so either cancel the order or drop that ridiculus fee please as all it says is 8.99 and yes of course i undersatnd vat will be added to that but thats just stupid that fee