OVH Community, your new community space.

Use my own legit Windows 2008 key?

theatheist
23-01-2011, 23:22
If you want to install and use your own windows you can do so by using winstaller.org

You can even get it installed as a trial and then later activate if you wish or re-arm etc.

Razakel
12-09-2010, 00:39
Quote Originally Posted by zydron
Dreamspark don't work
I've tried it
Weird, it worked for me.

Make sure you don't try and use a 2008 R2 key for a 2008 install, or vice versa.

everwicked
10-09-2010, 10:18
edit 2:
I have readed your FAQ, and what I saw is that you break the license!
besides, since you install it, the actual user isn't allowed to use it, because he don't know the EULA, and can't agree with it!
Then read what YouWhat said.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
10-09-2010, 09:59
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
This is a bit of a grey area, as long as you use the server for personal use only, then you should be able to use your own key whether if from msdn technet etc, if you are hosting a site for people to use, then your key is then breaking the EULA and terms of it and the T&C of here also.

This has been discussed many times before, see this post

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3798

As i stated in there yes many of the keys do work, its just down to what and how you use them for.

So gueriLLaPunkMoB you enterprise key will work, just remember to re-activate the server with your key, and also changed the Registered Owner and Company in the registry (I put instructions in that other post as to where in the registry they are located)
You're the man! Thank you so much! I'll go ahead and do that. To reactive, you mean just go to microsoft.com/genuine to reactivate? Shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, it's for personal use; not hosting a website or anything like that.

YouWhat
10-09-2010, 09:55
This is a bit of a grey area, as long as you use the server for personal use only, then you should be able to use your own key whether if from msdn technet etc, if you are hosting a site for people to use, then your key is then breaking the EULA and terms of it and the T&C of here also.

This has been discussed many times before, see this post

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3798

As i stated in there yes many of the keys do work, its just down to what and how you use them for.

So gueriLLaPunkMoB you enterprise key will work, just remember to re-activate the server with your key, and also changed the Registered Owner and Company in the registry (I put instructions in that other post as to where in the registry they are located)

zydron
10-09-2010, 01:17
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Or check my signature
I have tested it, and also a previous colleage of me
he used MSDNAA and I used dreamspark, both didn't work.
lucky for me I have a SPLA license key.

edit 1:
The reason why you can't use MSDN/Retail/Technet/OEM/Dreamspark is easy, they aren't SPLA licenses

Only websitespark and normal SPLA (don't know about bizspark though) are SPLA license key's

and only SPLA license keys are allowed to be used on rented hardware.
If you buy your own hardware, you are allowed to use OEM/Retail/etc.

edit 2:
I have readed your FAQ, and what I saw is that you break the license!
besides, since you install it, the actual user isn't allowed to use it, because he don't know the EULA, and can't agree with it!

everwicked
10-09-2010, 00:23
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
The only way I can imagine this to work is by installing Windows in a virtual environment.
If you are enquiring as to my methodology, no, it doesn't use any virtualization - you can read my FAQ also.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
10-09-2010, 00:16
The only way I can imagine this to work is by installing Windows in a virtual environment.

everwicked
10-09-2010, 00:13
Next best thing!

gueriLLaPunkMoB
10-09-2010, 00:10
D'oh! I thought it was a tutorial

everwicked
10-09-2010, 00:06
What happens when you use a non-SPLA key?
install won't be a success
Or check my signature

zydron
09-09-2010, 23:28
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
SPLA licences include WebsiteSpark and DreamSpark licences, by the way.
Dreamspark don't work
I've tried it

What happens when you use a non-SPLA key?
install won't be a success

gueriLLaPunkMoB
09-09-2010, 19:06
I have an Enterprise key (MAK)

gueriLLaPunkMoB
09-09-2010, 19:02
What happens if you use a RETAIL or OEM key?

Razakel
09-09-2010, 16:10
warning: USE ONLY SPLA LICENSES NO RETAIL OR OEM
SPLA licences include WebsiteSpark and DreamSpark licences, by the way.

zydron
09-09-2010, 10:31
warning: USE ONLY SPLA LICENSES NO RETAIL OR OEM

YouWhat
09-09-2010, 10:18
yes, enter it in the windows licenses in your manager and when you reinstall it will give you the option to install using that key, if you already have an install then reactivate the product with your key.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
09-09-2010, 08:02
Is there a way to not pay the extra 25 euros a month? I have my own legit key that I want to use.

Is there a way?

Thanks.