OVH Community, your new community space.

Would you recommend

marks
21-09-2010, 11:16
I would say that, if the website is not critical and you could afford some downtime in case that there was an intervention, then yes, go for it. Also, if the website requires lots of disk access, I wouldn't recommend it either.

Apart from these cases, yes, an RPS should be fine.

yonatan
20-09-2010, 22:40
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Can you get usb sticks for the rps servers like you can with the dedis? If so then putting the os on that would be much faster.
there is a 2GB usb drive connected to your RPS ... just format it and use it

Andy
18-09-2010, 09:59
Can you get usb sticks for the rps servers like you can with the dedis? If so then putting the os on that would be much faster.

unclebob
18-09-2010, 02:11
Yes, the RPS range is pretty good for small websites. You can run Linux/Windows but the OS choices available are much more limited than a regular OVH dedicated server; take a look at the order page to see what can be installed.

Bear in mind that they take a while to reboot (30 minutes is the longest I've experienced) and even longer if you are loading a custom kernel from disk. Also note that I/O to the network storage is only guaranteed up to 1MB/s, unless you pay a lot more, so forget about serving files at any huge speeds.

LawsHosting
18-09-2010, 00:19
a small basic RPS for 1 small site........ I gather they're like the dedi's?, i.e raw distro compatible... The last VPS I used (years ago elsewhere) had a 300MB memory limit lol!