OVH Community, your new community space.

cdn, cdn mutu and ip cdn

zydron
23-09-2010, 23:26
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
What's the point of having it only in New York and a few European cities? How about Central and West US, Latin America, Japan / Korea / Singapore and Australia / NZ? Not worth the effort if there's none there...
octave said, that it will start there, nothing more.

besides, OVH wants to start in japan... (and from there conquer asia)

Myatu
23-09-2010, 19:03
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
We'll start with Paris, London, Frankfurt and Amsterdam then New York and then other cities in Europe.
What's the point of having it only in New York and a few European cities? How about Central and West US, Latin America, Japan / Korea / Singapore and Australia / NZ? Not worth the effort if there's none there...

3.) the "IP cdn"
You can take an "IP cdn" for your dedicated server. Better than an "IP failover" and "IP loadbalancing": you do not have to change anything on your dedicated server.
What about session handling and cache-exceptions?

MicroChip123
23-09-2010, 09:32
I currently use a kimsurf for my cdn i would be very interested if it would be cheaper than what i use at the moment.

If CDN's are setup right then they use very little ram and cpu just loads of bandwidth.

zydron
23-09-2010, 08:09
Sounds interesting,

more information please.

oles@ovh.net
22-09-2010, 22:56
Hello,

OVH is preparing an offer of "Cdn", "shared hosting cdn" and its pro version "ip cdn. We need some feedback on the needs of such services.

Here are short detail of these three offers:

1.) The "cdn",
we will offer web interface/ftp access to file all of your "static" files. you can use an OVH URL or create a subdomain for you to use the service, for example, cdn. and point to the cdn. sub a bit like the mutu but static. except that the sub is positioned geographically closest to the visitor. We'll start with Paris, London, Frankfurt and Amsterdam then New York and then other cities in Europe.

why do the service?
the hosting and the dissemination of images and static content, such as sound or video may be "outsourced" to a sub who can collect 24Gbps of traffic (for starters) and several hundreds of millions of queries per second. In short, instead of calculating how many servers I need, simply drop files onto the cdn and add your site http://cdn./files.flv.

2.) the "shared hosting cdn"
if you have shared hosting in OVH, you will be able to switch your domain name to the shared hosting cdn. To change anything at your site, the change of A record of your site is automatic in the manager. As a result, your site is on the CDN infrastructure as "cdn" but with dynamic pages of your site. You switch to unlimited traffic. More precisely everything that is in the directory / shared hosting cdn your site is running out.

why do the service?
The goal here is to manage large sites with high impact without technical expertise. Finally no more than a simple shared hosting.

3.) the "IP cdn"
You can take an "IP cdn" for your dedicated server. Better than an "IP failover" and "IP loadbalancing": you do not have to change anything on your dedicated server. You configure "IP cdn" with the IP of your server. You can set the server to use it on IP1 and if IP1 is down, automatically the traffic must pass on the IP2. Or you can run 2 or 10 IP in parallel or with failover policy. You can set the load distribution along the directory such as /images/ on IP1 and the rest on IP2. You can also define /cdn/ that will type our cdn. "IP cdn" is a bit like "IP failover" + "IP loadbalancing" but also like "IP firewall" that incorporates protections against synflood attacks of any kind. If you have regular attacks, it is simple: you take "IP cdn" and you send traffic to your server. You change the DNS of your site and suddenly you're protected. Also if you have a site in IPv4, you can activate the same site in ipv6 without changing anything with "IP cdn". Finally, if you want to add https with ssl and have performance in ssl, you can activate the certificate on the https. The sub cdn manages the ssl and returns the unencrypted stream to your server. Your server does not use more cpu to encrypt pages.

interesting thing: we speak of your dedicated servers, but they can be anywhere in the world. If you have a site in Japan and want to accelerate for Europe it is the right plan. Also if you have a site in France and you want to accelerate for Germany or USA it is also a good plan. You do not have to have the site operating at OVH.

My question is twofold:

- Do we need a password?
- Does it sound interesting?

or no interest in having this kind of service?

Your feedback ... thanks in advance

All the best,
Octave