OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS with 10Mbps

fozl
09-12-2010, 17:30
markrandall, our techs insist that in fact you've not installed the ovh support key. :-/

you say you are sure that you have? We are talking about your rps ending 923.ovh.net...

fozl
09-12-2010, 16:34
Ok, I'll look into this.

Note that my point about the password, is that we won't use your root password to access your server, as a matter of policy it is "FORBIDN!" so don't give it to us except if the issue involves esxi, where we may ask for it as the support key doesn't work on esxi installed servers.

markrandall
09-12-2010, 16:11
This makes no difference, and they do know what the password is because I provided it to them (twice now) and also installed the OVH key.

r24923:~# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full
r24923:~# ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
Speed: 10Mb/s

fozl
09-12-2010, 14:11
Hi Mark,

Did you try using ethtool to set the speed? For instance
"ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full"

Also, ovh support will only connect to your server (if necessary) using the ovh support key, giving us your password won't lead anywhere unless we're talking esxi, in which case we'll ask in the ticket if we need it. Also no we don't know what your password is.

Here's the support key link again for anyone reading:
http://help.ovh.co.uk/InstallOvhKey

markrandall
09-12-2010, 13:04
Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeChap
atleast the owner or r22405 will be happy again now :P
Yeah, lucky bugger!!

HandsomeChap
09-12-2010, 13:01
atleast the owner or r22405 will be happy again now :P

markrandall
09-12-2010, 12:47
I thought i'd bring this one back to the top, maybe it is just me, but I still have a RPS that is hard limited to 10MBIT:

--2010-12-08 12:33:09-- ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin
=> `test.bin'
Resolving ftp.ovh.net... 213.186.33.9
Connecting to ftp.ovh.net|213.186.33.9|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD not needed.
==> SIZE test.bin ... 104857600
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR test.bin ... done.
Length: 104857600 (100M)

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600
1.05M/s in 95s

2010-12-08 12:34:44 (1.05 MB/s) - `test.bin' saved
[104857600]

It is doing nothig else...

I have to say, OVH support have been USELESS!!!

My Ticket was submitted on 27th November, eventually on December 4th I finally get a meaningful reply:

Dear Customer,

Sorry for this late reply.

One of our directors has intervened on the server and fixed
the problem.

r22405 @ root: ~ # ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
Speed: 100Mb / s

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best REgards,
Meryam J

I've just noticed, that r22405 isn't even my RPS number! lol

On my RPS ethtool wasn't even install, but upon installing it, look what the output is:

r24923:~# ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
Speed: 10Mb/s

Still not sorted now, even after installing the OVH keys which they asked for eventually, they still say they can't access the server (It does still take them 24 hours to reply!)

Bang Head Against A Brick Wall!

elvis1
20-10-2010, 21:19
Quote Originally Posted by fozl
I'm saddened to have been so profoundly misunderstood.

Your interpretation would be correct if I'd said just this:

"Were the hard disks of many of those complaining to be examined, how many files breaching our T&C might be found?"

This is precisely what I had described as an "unhelpful and irrelevant" point, going on to say that various customers doing various things on the rps were affected by the (now completed) tests.

I won't explain my post any further as that would distract from the purpose of the thread.

how do you associate that with 100 to 10mbits with no notice?

If you wan't to do tests: how about offer some beta accounts and play with those or if that is not ok, replicate a scale version of the current infra and do tests without hurting clients usage?

fozl
20-10-2010, 18:29
Quote Originally Posted by BELLonline
The tests aren't completed, some servers are still capped. Tickets opened, nothing done.
Could you give me the numbers, I'll chase them up.

BELLonline
20-10-2010, 18:24
The tests aren't completed, some servers are still capped. Tickets opened, nothing done.

fozl
20-10-2010, 12:39
Quote Originally Posted by Nik_Doof
So I come here to browse through the news (not being a current RPS customer, but a ex-customer), and I see this amazing nugget.

So, with your amazing customer services skills you did the equivalent of saying "most of our customers are scumbags, so those complaining need to shut up.". I think you need to brush up on some of those customer service skills, insulting your customers isn't going to get you anywhere.
I'm saddened to have been so profoundly misunderstood.

Your interpretation would be correct if I'd said just this:

"Were the hard disks of many of those complaining to be examined, how many files breaching our T&C might be found?"

This is precisely what I had described as an "unhelpful and irrelevant" point, going on to say that various customers doing various things on the rps were affected by the (now completed) tests.

I won't explain my post any further as that would distract from the purpose of the thread.

Andy
20-10-2010, 12:30
Amen

Nik_Doof
20-10-2010, 12:25
The point was made by one of our techs that were the hard disks of many of those complaining to be examined, how many files breaching our T&C might be found? I thought this was an interesting question but not helpful or relevant as rps customers that do and rps customers that don't breach the T&C have been affected.
So I come here to browse through the news (not being a current RPS customer, but a ex-customer), and I see this amazing nugget.

So, with your amazing customer services skills you did the equivalent of saying "most of our customers are scumbags, so those complaining need to shut up.". I think you need to brush up on some of those customer service skills, insulting your customers isn't going to get you anywhere.

yonatan
15-10-2010, 15:21
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Come again, "no support"????

Sorry but they are obliged to supply some form of support for such issues and I have never once been told otherwise.

SupportStandardEmails / Telephone
Commercial Only with ovh.co.uk offers
Technical Only with ovh.co.uk offers
Management of incident Emails
Incidents level 1
(Unavailable server, faulty hardware)Intervention 2 Hrs
Repair 4 Hrs
Incidents level 2
(Abnormal functioning of the service except level 3)Intervention 12 Hrs
Repair Incidents level 3
(Software, configuration, personalisation) Only with ovh.co.uk offers

So it's not covered by the above "Abnormal functioning of the service except level 3"? Yes it may have been a software fault, but it is an operating system fault not a plain old application partly caused by the hardware fault. They're obliged to fix it or at least give some form of KVM access. vKVM in this case should not count given it's complete buggyness.

OVH you begin to amaze and disappoint me more and more every day...

lol Andy, i was amazed after this response myself , due to the fact i also have HG servers and i know how good they are when it comes to support - they are Very Very good.

the conclusion is , if your server pings .. you are on your own.

btw, a server can ping with no working hard drives a faulty power supply and bad RAM.( for example ) lol...

lucky me i know my way around and i managed to fix this.
ah .. until today , that server cannot boot from netboot , god only knows why.

Andy
15-10-2010, 15:12
Come again, "no support"????

Sorry but they are obliged to supply some form of support for such issues and I have never once been told otherwise.

SupportStandardEmails / Telephone
Commercial Only with ovh.co.uk offers
Technical Only with ovh.co.uk offers
Management of incident Emails
Incidents level 1
(Unavailable server, faulty hardware)Intervention 2 Hrs
Repair 4 Hrs
Incidents level 2
(Abnormal functioning of the service except level 3)Intervention 12 Hrs
Repair Incidents level 3
(Software, configuration, personalisation) Only with ovh.co.uk offers

So it's not covered by the above "Abnormal functioning of the service except level 3"? Yes it may have been a software fault, but it is an operating system fault not a plain old application partly caused by the hardware fault. They're obliged to fix it or at least give some form of KVM access. vKVM in this case should not count given it's complete buggyness.

OVH you begin to amaze and disappoint me more and more every day...

yonatan
15-10-2010, 15:05
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Care to explain why... All the servers I own are Kimsufis'.
I had a server with bad CPU cooling,
once it was fixed, it pinged but no open ports,so...

Ok then i figured that cooling has nothing to do with boot sequence, so i change netboot and run a soft reboot.

here is a ticket snip:
I wrote ( after the cpu cooling fix )
Code:
Hello, 
 you fixed the cooling system, and i rebooted the server to
 rescue-pro in order to manually run fsck on my disks and
 check the mdadm  before booting back into production - all
 is good  , filesystem state is now 100% clean.

dumpe2fs /dev/md1 | grep "Filesystem state:"
 Filesystem state:	   clean

dumpe2fs /dev/md3 | grep "Filesystem state:"
 Filesystem state:	   clean

now i run a soft reboot from rescue-pro, to netboot
 kernel.

my root device is /dev/md1
 my home device is /dev/md3

i can mount both in rescue-pro and chroot, no problem...

but when i try to boot, i don't know what's stopping my
 server.

please check the monitor of the server, check my CPU
 again.
and they priceless answer was:

Code:
Dear customer,

Actually, your machine responds to ping but all ports are
closed,
You could place your server in rescue pro in order to
correct the problem.
There is no support for Kimsufi servers and I can not
transfer your message to the technical support.
right .. so it was working but got stuck due to cpu overheat,
they fix the overheat, we try to boot, we get ping but no open ports.

ask them to look at the monitor if there is any error(?) due to the fact the server was rebooting perfectly before the intervention.

.... no dice.

I had to guess what was the issue and work blindly,
of-course i was able to fix this, but still to this day i have no idea for the reason of the boot fail after the CPU unit check.

could you work blindly, and play guessing games while your clients are waiting?

by the way , the problem was fixed after I put the stock centos Kernel instead of relaying on the flaky netboot.

RapidSpeeds
14-10-2010, 13:08
blah blah blah blah blah... stick your compensation where the sun don't shine.

all I know is I will never use OVH for personal use again.

LawsHosting
13-10-2010, 23:54
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
I don't think putting any priority service on a kimsufi is a good idea.
Care to explain why... All the servers I own are Kimsufis'.

yonatan
13-10-2010, 18:50
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
When I had shoutcast (long gone now), I used the cheap Kimsufi pre-3TB-days, doubt 3TB would be enough these days.
I don't think putting any priority service on a kimsufi is a good idea.
that's the reason i took the RPS from the ovh.co.uk website,
btw i had this server since the days of the "un-metered" era.

Myatu
13-10-2010, 17:42
Quote Originally Posted by marks
The bandwidth is not guaranteed for RPSes, and if a change needs to be tested, it could be done this way with RPS, but it couldn't with our professional range, as the bandwidth is guaranteed for them.
Hmm. Keeping in line with the stories and analogies... I don't suppose you'd like to hear from Ford: "Nope, we can't do this to customers who own a Mondeo. But you own a Fiesta, so we can take bits and bobs out at any time we please".

Edit: And, wasn't "OVH" the "Professional" side and "Kimsufi" the "Home & Game user" side?

LawsHosting
13-10-2010, 17:14
I had to give back my RPS , the shoutcast client suffered great loss
When I had shoutcast (long gone now), I used the cheap Kimsufi pre-3TB-days, doubt 3TB would be enough these days.

yonatan
13-10-2010, 14:41
I had to give back my RPS , the shoutcast client suffered great loss due to this "test"
he moved along to another DC.

normally it was under 10mbit , but at peak times... it crashed.

jonlewi5
13-10-2010, 13:23
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
That's quite convenient, isn't it? You can use existing customers as guinea pigs at will, without giving them any kind of compensation, notice or opt-out option. Since when has this become acceptable in any business?

It makes for quite a macabre movie script though:

- "On Vous Hopsital" scene -

Doctor: "Nurse, please turn down oxygen levels to 10% on this patient"

Nurse: "But doctor? Won't he die?"

Doctor: "Well, that's what we're trying to figure out. Don't worry, it'll only be for 10 days"

Nurse: "I don't know if that's ethical, doc."

Doctor: "Well, if he dies, we'll give his family a nice compensation package."

Nurse: "And what if he does not die?"

Doctor: "Well, then we would have proven the world that people can live on only 10%. That means we can help 10x more patients, nurse! We'll be heroes!"

Nurse: "I don't know. He might be left brain damaged if he survives, wouldn't he?"

Doctor: "Well, he's not using it that much anyway, so who'd notice the difference?"

Nurse: "Hmm. Don't you suppose we should ask him for permission though?"

Doctor: "C'mon, think nurse! If you ask, of course he wouldn't consent to it. Would you?"
I love it!

Andy
13-10-2010, 13:14
Quote Originally Posted by marks
Hey, guys

these examples are all very good (and some very imaginative ) but I think that the most important point is missing:
OVH decided to do such change for some days to try to improve the infrastructure and, most importantly, because we're talking about RPSes.

The bandwidth is not guaranteed for RPSes, and if a change needs to be tested, it could be done this way with RPS, but it couldn't with our professional range, as the bandwidth is guaranteed for them.
... but you're missing the point. You sell it as 100Mbps, the customer should at least be able to get 100Mbps. In this instance the customer could not because the port was physically restricted to 10Mbps. You also did not give the customer a chance to opt in, nor did you get them any notification outside of the forums, thus it is a breech of contract on your part, and the customer is entitled to compensation as far as I can see.

marks
13-10-2010, 11:26
Hey, guys

these examples are all very good (and some very imaginative ) but I think that the most important point is missing:
OVH decided to do such change for some days to try to improve the infrastructure and, most importantly, because we're talking about RPSes.

Myatu
12-10-2010, 20:57
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Compensation was possible IF the servers were to stay at 10Mbps. See Oles original post:
That's quite convenient, isn't it? You can use existing customers as guinea pigs at will, without giving them any kind of compensation, notice or opt-out option. Since when has this become acceptable in any business?

It makes for quite a macabre movie script though:

- "On Vous Hopsital" scene -

Doctor: "Nurse, please turn down oxygen levels to 10% on this patient"

Nurse: "But doctor? Won't he die?"

Doctor: "Well, that's what we're trying to figure out. Don't worry, it'll only be for 10 days"

Nurse: "I don't know if that's ethical, doc."

Doctor: "Well, if he dies, we'll give his family a nice compensation package."

Nurse: "And what if he does not die?"

Doctor: "Well, then we would have proven the world that people can live on only 10%. That means we can help 10x more patients, nurse! We'll be heroes!"

Nurse: "I don't know. He might be left brain damaged if he survives, wouldn't he?"

Doctor: "Well, he's not using it that much anyway, so who'd notice the difference?"

Nurse: "Hmm. Don't you suppose we should ask him for permission though?"

Doctor: "C'mon, think nurse! If you ask, of course he wouldn't consent to it. Would you?"

Andy
12-10-2010, 18:57
+1

unclebob
12-10-2010, 18:33
In ten days I'm going to reduce my payment by 90% for a test. If it works out better for me, I'll leave my payment like this, otherwise I'll switch back to the full amount next month.

Seem fair OVH?

Andy
12-10-2010, 17:08
OVH is still breaking their contract though Neil/Fozl, your site advertises 100Mbps, yet the customer was only able to get 10Mbps, thus it was false advertising and a breech of the contract the customer signed on OVH's part.

Neil
12-10-2010, 17:02
Of course, it was never mentioned.

I give up.
Compensation was possible IF the servers were to stay at 10Mbps. See Oles original post:

- If yes, we will leave the at RPS 10Mbps. otherwise we
are going to return to 100Mbps

If this change is affecting the uses
of the RPS, because you may need more than 10Mbps of
bandwidth, Please contact support to
find a commercial solution that for your RPS.
We will find a solution.

BELLonline
12-10-2010, 14:03
I'm not aware of the c word being mentioned anywhere by ovh about the rps issue. Note that the rps's have no sla, and connectivity to those machines involved in the test was never lost.
Of course, it was never mentioned.

customersupport@ovh.co.uk wrote:
> Hello
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying, please can you provide the RPS Servers you cannot SSH into so I can check to make sure they are fine.
>
> The compensation/solution for customers has not been finalised yet, however once the test has completed, next Monday, see http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=578 we will then announce it.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> XXXXXXXX
>
> OVH.co.uk
>
>> Quoting customersupport@ovh.co.uk:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We need time to asses how this test works first, once the test has
>>> been completed we can then decide on compensation and reactivating
>>> servers back up 100Mbps.

>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> XXXXXXXX
>>>
>>> OVH.co.uk
I give up.

fozl
12-10-2010, 11:48
And how about this famous compensation that was promised? As far as I can see, the service was reduced to 10% of what I was paying for so I expect at least a 90% refund for the affected period for each server that was capped.
I'm not aware of the c word being mentioned anywhere by ovh about the rps issue. Note that the rps's have no sla, and connectivity to those machines involved in the test was never lost.

fozl
12-10-2010, 10:14
+1
But Andy... you don't have an rps.

yonatan
12-10-2010, 03:17
I think this test was made to get rid of some clients, not harm anyone else.

that's why everybody is happy now.

or was it some kind of raid rebuild on the main system?
:-)

Speedy059
12-10-2010, 00:23
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
+ ∞
lol....

unclebob
11-10-2010, 23:34
+ ∞

RapidSpeeds
11-10-2010, 22:44
Quote Originally Posted by bellonline
and how about this famous compensation that was promised? As far as i can see, the service was reduced to 10% of what i was paying for so i expect at least a 90% refund for the affected period for each server that was capped.
+1

Quote Originally Posted by busby
i'm just glad to have it back, but worried how long it will be before there are more tests..
+1

Busby
11-10-2010, 21:34
I'm just glad to have it back, but worried how long it will be before there are more tests..

Andy
11-10-2010, 21:26
+1

BELLonline
11-10-2010, 21:22
And how about this famous compensation that was promised? As far as I can see, the service was reduced to 10% of what I was paying for so I expect at least a 90% refund for the affected period for each server that was capped.

RapidSpeeds
06-10-2010, 16:14
If your RPS is still capped, open a ticket.

We're now focusing on the dynamic and static vps offers.
lol...

fozl
06-10-2010, 16:00
Quote Originally Posted by Busby
So where do we go from here?

When will I get my 100Mbs connection back?

Will it stay?

Are there going to be any more 'tests'?
If your RPS is still capped, open a ticket.

We're now focusing on the dynamic and static vps offers.

Andy
06-10-2010, 14:05
Or OVH could shut up shop so there are no such issues anymore. Too extreme? Maybe.

Marks, Neil, Oles, someone, tell us what we want to know please, before more customers decide it's time to cancel.

markrandall
06-10-2010, 13:54

Will it stay?

I don't think OVH UK are able to answer any of those questions!

We could start a poll of "What would be the next test OVH (Or we should just say Ocatve) could do to P**S off their customers"??

Busby
06-10-2010, 11:13
As Octave posted yesterday...

Will it stay?

fozl
06-10-2010, 10:23
Still waiting..
As Octave posted yesterday...

We've done the RPS test at 10Mbps. It's inconclusive.

Busby
06-10-2010, 00:02
Well, $50,000 question is - how did the tests go and what is the outcome?

We are all waiting
Still waiting..

RapidSpeeds
05-10-2010, 22:29
rs0792:/# ethtool eth0|grep -i speed
Speed: 100Mb/s

about time.

Quote Originally Posted by markrandall
I agree that I am unlikely to make any new purchases with OVH after these problems...
I concur, i'll be cancelling this server after this week incase they decide to do anymore 'tests'.

markrandall
05-10-2010, 21:43
I only have 1 active RPS left that is capped and 1 that never got capped, but the capp hasn't been removed yet... Good Old OVH!

I agree that I am unlikely to make any new purchases with OVH after these problems...

BELLonline
05-10-2010, 21:35
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
OVH prepare the offers for VPS static and dynamic ...
Pff, as if anyone affected by this escapade are going to be buying new services.

I don't think any servers have actually been put back yet.

unclebob
05-10-2010, 21:12
It's tuesday now and my server is still limited to 10mbit:
server:~# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 10baseT-FD, link ok
server:~# mii-tool eth0 -F 100baseTx-FD
server:~# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 10baseT-FD, link ok
Sort this **** out.

RapidSpeeds
05-10-2010, 20:59
That's all we get? tests completed.... hundreds, possibily thousands of users affected and not even an apology?

Myatu
05-10-2010, 20:24
Last edited by marks; Today at 02:53 PM. Reason: translated into English
You mean Frenglish? So it's going to be reset to 100 Mbps... But what's that other bit?

oles@ovh.net
05-10-2010, 15:40
Good afternon,

We've done the RPS test at 10Mbps. It's inconclusive.
We're then re-setting the RPSes to 100Mbps

OVH prepare the offers for VPS static and dynamic ...

Regards,
Octave

unclebob
04-10-2010, 18:04
Yes, hurry up please OVH.

BELLonline
04-10-2010, 15:58
Not looking good so far lol

Busby
04-10-2010, 14:16
Well, $50,000 question is - how did the tests go and what is the outcome?

We are all waiting

markrandall
01-10-2010, 12:52
Trouble is, that support claim they are only really "Test Machines" but they are sold as:

Discover the leading edge technologies of an RPS (Real Private Server):

* Its a real processor
* It has real RAM
* Uses iSCSI hard disk
* Unlimited 100Mbps connection

Now to me, that doesn't really sound like a "Test Machine"

These machines work well enough for shoutcast and for other non intensive disk access purposes, but I guess the bottom line is that they cannot be profitable being 100MBPS unmetered for £9.99/£14.99 although there are other companies who can do 100MBPS for around double that...

Busby
30-09-2010, 22:06
OVH have broken the contract, therefore you're entitled to a refund for the remaining time on the services you have left. Failure on OVH's part on refunding is fraud and theft.
Its not a refund I'm looking for, just the service I expected when I signed up

If it turns out that the RPS isn't stable at any more than 10Mbs connection, bearing in mind mine has been fine for 18 months, OVH should offer a similar product, at the same price - let's see

BELLonline
30-09-2010, 21:25
We should get a full refund or at least 90% for the 10 days as well, as they have purposely reduced the service. If it was a genuine error or some problem beyond their control like an equipment failure then it wouldn't be so bad, but they've inconvenienced their customers completely unapologetically and on purpose.

Andy
30-09-2010, 20:53
OVH have broken the contract, therefore you're entitled to a refund for the remaining time on the services you have left. Failure on OVH's part on refunding is fraud and theft.

Busby
30-09-2010, 20:47
Yes I do remember that statement, and I stand by it. People have been quite vocal about their thoughts on this and we've relayed the strength and tone of opinion in presenting feedback.

The point was made by one of our techs that were the hard disks of many of those complaining to be examined, how many files breaching our T&C might be found? I thought this was an interesting question but not helpful or relevant as rps customers that do and rps customers that don't breach the T&C have been affected. So we soldier on to monday when this whole fun exercise should have run it's course and produced a result, and we can all talk more constructively regarding where to go from there.
Your welcome to inspect my files any time. I for one, am doing nothing wrong, and feel slightly uncomfortable at the suggestion that I might..

I looked at the spec, and decided it fitted the bill for what I wanted to do. So far, it has performed flawlessly for around 18 months, until the start of this 'test'..

It was on the strength of 12 months performance that I subscribed for another 12 months. I wasn't expecting to have only 10% of my server for 10 days, or possibly longer..

Lets hope that I get back what I signed up for on Monday and that it doesn't happen again..

BELLonline
30-09-2010, 18:00
No it doesn't. If you suspected that people were hosting illegal files then couldn't you have contacted them and given them the option to either have their files examined or they would be cut back to 10Meg?

Razakel
30-09-2010, 16:24
Yes I do remember that statement, and I stand by it. People have been quite vocal about their thoughts on this and we've relayed the strength and tone of opinion in presenting feedback.

The point was made by one of our techs that were the hard disks of many of those complaining to be examined, how many files breaching our T&C might be found? I thought this was an interesting question but not helpful or relevant as rps customers that do and rps customers that don't breach the T&C have been affected. So we soldier on to monday when this whole fun exercise should have run it's course and produced a result, and we can all talk more constructively regarding where to go from there.
High bandwidth use doesn't mean the server's being used as a seedbox or whatever...

fozl
30-09-2010, 14:45
I'm sorely disappointed in that statement

Remember http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?...3&postcount=72 ?

LawsHosting
30-09-2010, 13:25
I would like to know what OVH's visions of their business model for RPS's are. My initial thoughts from staff feedback to my thread, is that I imagine is the thinking they'd be only used for testbeds and not full "servers"?

BELLonline
30-09-2010, 12:49
Yeah, more servers are being capped every day - it seems to be ones that peak above around 15Mbps are the ones likely to go. I haven't checked the servers that I have that peak lower than 10Mbps

markrandall
30-09-2010, 12:45
I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but I had a RPS that wasn't limited (I had 3 that were but these were being cancelled anyway) but it got limited at 2pm French Time yesterday so capping is still taking place just to let everyone know as I had been told that all the capping had taken place on the "300" servers last Friday...

Myatu
29-09-2010, 18:10
oles@ovh.net's post of "09-23-2010, 02:02 PM" was intended as notification, in fact this thread was started by him but somehow ended up as post 3 due to merging with another thread.

The limitation is applied for a 10 day period.
I'm sorely disappointed in that statement

Remember http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?...3&postcount=72 ?

Busby
29-09-2010, 16:02
When will this "trial" end and what sort of compensation will those affected be getting?
Andy informed me that the 'trial' will end this Monday, then they will decide, depending on the outcome, if they will revert back to 100Mbs or OVH will offer an alternative solution.

I have resigned myself to just wait and see before taking any knee-jerk reaction. I know this a bad situation, and another bad PR for OVH, but I don't see that we have any other option, quite honestly..

I, alongside many others on here, have been put to a lot of inconvenience, and some notice would have been a big help, but we don't live in a perfect world..

I would like to think [naively?], that OVH have learnt something from this, about how you treat your customers.

gregoryfenton
29-09-2010, 15:17
I just read this mangled post by Oles:
Hello,
----------snip
And so instead of a communication "hub" is desired
communication switch "switch". Avoid
noise, and deliver important information for everyone.
Only inform those involved. But it's already complex ...

If we manage this transition internally, we can move towards
500 and 1000 people (if you continue to order our
services ...), but also improve the communication tools
with you. Instead of "broadcasting" information
work or on the mailing list, better to
send it only if you are concerned. And not
disturb you if you are not affected.
----------/snip
Regards
Octave
Take note that it states that anyone directly involved in an issue will be contacted directly, not via the status page or other means.

Instead of "broadcasting" information work or on the mailing list, better to send it only if you are concerned

Mmmm for some reason I fancy mushrooms for tea. Can't think why.

unclebob
29-09-2010, 14:42
I have a story I told my kid this morning:

I have a milk man, I pay him to deliver 10 pints of milk per day, one day he leaves me a note with a single pint of milk telling me for the next 10 days he will only be delivering 1 pint of milk as a test to see if his milk float will be lighter and thus go faster (which is obviously will) I have paid for 10 pints but I will only be receiving one for this period he tells me. So I and my family must go thirsty for 10 days, no milk on the cornflakes, etc, to prove something for the milk man.

The question is, why does the milk man want a faster milk float, my guess is so he has the space to cater for 10 times more clients and so make 10 times more profit.

My milk mans name is Oles.
+1 Perfect!

RapidSpeeds
29-09-2010, 14:18

I have a milk man, I pay him to deliver 10 pints of milk per day, one day he leaves me a note with a single pint of milk telling me for the next 10 days he will only be delivering 1 pint of milk as a test to see if his milk float will be lighter and thus go faster (which is obviously will) I have paid for 10 pints but I will only be receiving one for this period he tells me. So I and my family must go thirsty for 10 days, no milk on the cornflakes, etc, to prove something for the milk man.

The question is, why does the milk man want a faster milk float, my guess is so he has the space to cater for 10 times more clients and so make 10 times more profit.

Fantastic! +1

Andy
29-09-2010, 14:10

+1 Spot on.

HandsomeChap
29-09-2010, 13:54

BELLonline
29-09-2010, 13:52
Yeah, too right - a forum and status page can't possibly be considered as proper ways to contact customers. By their very nature, forums and status pages are only going to be checked AFTER problems start.

Plus, the thread may have been started by Oles, but the fact that it's now number 3 after being merged with a related thread shows that someone experienced the problem before that post. In fact, it was 12 hours before he posted that kingders opened the tread on 09-23-2010, 02:15 AM.

I don't think posting 12 hours after the change can really be considered as "notice".

gregoryfenton
29-09-2010, 13:50
UK Sale of Goods act:
Consumer rights and where to get help

The law protects you if you have a problem with many of the products and services you buy. Find out what your rights are when you go shopping, hire a service like a builder or have an unsafe product.

Shopping rights
When you go shopping anything you buy is covered by a law called the Sale of Goods Act 1979. This means that when you buy a product it should be:
as described
fit for purpose
of satisfactory quality

As described
This means that the item you buy should be the same as any description of it. A description could be what the seller has said to you about the item or something written in a brochure.

Fit for purpose
What you buy should be able to do the job that it was made for. Also, goods should be fit for any specific purpose you agreed with the seller at the time of sale. For example, if you were looking to buy a printer and asked the seller if it would work with your computer then that advice has to be correct.

Satisfactory quality
Goods that are of satisfactory quality are:
free from minor defects (problems)
of a good appearance and finish
strong and safe
Sale of Goods Act 1979

Failure on "As described", possibly on "fit for purpose" depending on your viewpoint.

Breach of contract:
Breach of contract basically means that one or more of the terms and conditions laid out in a contract has been broken. Breaching a contract may lead to the contract breaking down completely and can easily lead to legal action and claims for damages in a law court.

Common Breaches of Contract
When any contract is made an agreement is formed between parties to carry out a service and payment for that service. If one of the parties fails to carry out their side of the agreement then the party can be said to be in breach of contract. Breach of contract can also occur if work carried out is defective or if one party makes the other aware that they will not be carrying out the agreed work.
Breaches of contract can also include non payment for a service or not paying on time, failure to deliver services or goods, and being late with services without a reasonable excuse. Terms and conditions are a fundamental part of a legally binding contract and any broken terms can lead to breach of contract.

Types of Breach of Contract
The main types of breach of contract will be minor, material, fundamental, and anticipatory. Minor breaches can be, for example, a builder who substitutes his own type of materials for specified materials. The substituted materials may work just as well as the specified but it can still be seen as a minor breach of contract.
A material breach can be a breach that has serious consequences on the outcome of the contract. A fundamental breach would be one so serious that the contract has to be terminated. An anticipatory breach is one where one of the parties makes it known that they will not be carrying out agreed work, and the consequences can be termination of the contract and damages being sought in court.

Damages for Breach of Contract
Damages can be awarded to an innocent party if a law court upholds that a contract has been breached. Damages will be used to compensate the innocent party for their loss due to the breach. These damages are usually a remuneration that will reflect the loss. For example, if an employer dismissed an employee unfairly then the employee could claim damages for loss of earnings under breach of contract. Damages can be awarded even if there has been no actual loss, the innocent party will then usually be awarded nominal damages.
Proof of Breach
If a dispute does occur due to breach of contract then the judge will need to decide that a legally binding contract does exist and that it has been breached. In some cases the contract may only be a verbal contract and there may be no actual written evidence that a contract was formed. In such cases a judge will need to go over the terms and conditions of the contract and clarify what actually took place in practice.
Entitlement to damages may be awarded if the innocent party can prove that a breach of contract took place. The innocent party must prove that there was a loss due to the breach and that the nature of the loss would lead to compensation. Remoteness of loss will also be taken into consideration by the courts and may include future loss that could reasonably occur from the contract being broken.

Other Damages due to Breach of Contract
Other losses can include loss of profits, the cost of rectifying the breach and wasted expenditure. If disputes do end up in the law courts then the amount awarded may come down to how much documented proof the claimant has regarding financial loss. This can include actual records and document proof of financial loss due to the breach. However, if there is little proof, damages can still be awarded, this will be down to the judge ascertaining all of the facts of the case and not relying solely on documented proof.
Breaching a contract can be a serious offence and is a very common reason for lawsuits. Anyone considering court action due to breach of contract should seek expert legal advice before proceeding. Court disputes are a lengthy and costly procedure and the legal costs should be weighed up against the likely damages awarded.

Andy
29-09-2010, 13:43
And how many of those people look on either the forum or the status page? It's your duty to inform the customer via suitable methods. A forum, which you claim is not a support area, and the status page are not suitable methods.

And what if those customers use more than 10Mbps, e.g for streaming radio purposes? You have restricted their throughput by 10 times.

OVH is in clear breech of contract, so admit it please, don't keep trying to bulls**t us with excuses. You're a good guy Fozl, all of the OVH UK team is, so don't let yourselves down by replying with scripted answers.

fozl
29-09-2010, 13:40
Why did you not tell the customer they were going to be limited to 10Mbps, OR allow the customer to opt-in to your testing?

When will this "trial" end and what sort of compensation will those affected be getting?
oles@ovh.net's post of "09-23-2010, 02:02 PM" was intended as notification, in fact this thread was started by him but somehow ended up as post 3 due to merging with another thread.

The limitation is applied for a 10 day period.

BELLonline
29-09-2010, 13:33
If I was incorrect then sorry, OVH obviously has permission to use their trading address instead of registered office address on invoices.

But I think Andy is right, it must be fraudulent to artificially reduce the level of service without notice during a pre-paid contract period. If a builder quoted someone to build an extension and they paid upfront then he's be obliged to carry out the work in full. If he left without putting the roof on then it would be a clear breach of the contract. There is very little difference between that and what OVH have done.

Andy
29-09-2010, 13:21
Frankly incorrect.
Fozl, I like the way you have replied, but you're not giving us the information we require.

What you're doing, by limiting the speed, is illegal. You're breaking your own contract. Your advertisement states RPS comes with 100Mbps, yet you're artificially limiting it to 10Mbps. That's fraud, and unless you have some very nice people on here who won't sue your ass, you're going to have the law knocking at the door very soon.

Now the questions we want answering are these:

Why did you not tell the customer they were going to be limited to 10Mbps, OR allow the customer to opt-in to your testing?

fozl
29-09-2010, 10:24
And interestingly, they use a different address on their invoices to their registered address, they could get fined for that if caught.

EDIT: removed link to companies house that stopped working.
Frankly incorrect.

LawsHosting
29-09-2010, 10:01
I get more than 10Mbps on my home connection, ok, only my download speed but still!

Thelen
29-09-2010, 09:43
Hahaha, so much fail. Obviously they've cottoned onto the fact that even though disk access for these limits their use, people are still using for proxys and VPN and such and using more around 30-40Mbit

zydron
29-09-2010, 02:20
isn't that the same as breaking a contract, is it?

RapidSpeeds
28-09-2010, 22:52
Would be nice if we could be given an explination by a staff member... and not the standard pre-made reply they have been given by .FR

Do you think it's legal that a company can do this to other companies and clients when we are all in contracts?

BELLonline
28-09-2010, 19:07
OVH are a UK registered company, so whether or not it's legal under French law is of no importance.

And interestingly, they use a different address on their invoices to their registered address, they could get fined for that if caught.

EDIT: removed link to companies house that stopped working.

yonatan
27-09-2010, 21:39
I have had an e-mail from support this morning to say that the 'test' finishes next Monday, and then a decision will be made regarding 10/100Mbs..

Can't wait..
I think its quite clear...
a 10Mbit RPS will harm the iscsi server disks less than an 100Mbit RPS...
which means the service will be more stable .. which means .. its not going to be 10days ...

makno
27-09-2010, 21:27
btw things have flared up on other subsidiaries too, i read the italian forum daily and i can say my fellow nationals are not happy at all about this "tests" afterall it wuld be like if they one day said: sorry we noticed that the network was unstable so we decided to run a test for 10 days and limit all dedicated servers to 10Mbits, have fun....

Busby
27-09-2010, 21:21
I have had an e-mail from support this morning to say that the 'test' finishes next Monday, and then a decision will be made regarding 10/100Mbs..

Can't wait..

Andy
27-09-2010, 19:58
It doesn't matter if it is in France or not, this is UK customers we're dealing and OVH are bound by UK laws.

Speedy059
27-09-2010, 19:56
In the USA they call this "bait-and-switch" which is illegal. However in France this may not be illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Andy
27-09-2010, 19:18
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/
http://asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA...-complain.aspx

Go there, post your complaint and then do a debit/credit card charge back

OK maybe that's OTT but either that or don't complain on a forum nobody from OVH reads when it comes to a complaint

BELLonline
27-09-2010, 18:31
Oh look, another server that averages about 25Mbps and peaked at an unusually high 55Mpbs yesterday just got capped at 10Mbps about an hour ago. I wonder what the real reason for the change is??? Of course, it's related to the iSCSI disk (this server uses next to no disk space apart from the OS) and certainly nothing to do with the massive overselling of bandwidth lol

Let's admit, we all knew it would happen one day - I didn't think they'd do it in a way that throws their own terms and consumer protection laws out of the window though!

Busby
26-09-2010, 22:13
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
I can imagine how that'd go:

"Hello, BBC Watchdog, how can I help you?"
"I'd like to complain about my ISP. They offer a dedicated server that uses an iSCSI connection as opposed to a physical hard disk blah blah blah"
"Yeah... we only deal with little old ladies who've been ripped off by builders..."
LoL, err no..

You just tell them its like a broadband deal, you paid for 100Mbs and got 10..

Simple as..

gregoryfenton
26-09-2010, 22:04
I contacted "Don't get done get Dom" for a problem I was having a while back.

I never heard anything until this week when they emailed me to see if there was anything they could do.

I guess there is a new series coming up and they need stories.

You never know - maybe he wants to go on a trip to France

Razakel
26-09-2010, 21:53
Yes, maybe a call to 'Watchdog' on the BBC might stir things up
I can imagine how that'd go:

"Hello, BBC Watchdog, how can I help you?"
"I'd like to complain about my ISP. They offer a dedicated server that uses an iSCSI connection as opposed to a physical hard disk blah blah blah"
"Yeah... we only deal with little old ladies who've been ripped off by builders..."

Busby
26-09-2010, 21:19
Yes, maybe a call to 'Watchdog' on the BBC might stir things up

BELLonline
26-09-2010, 20:56
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Oi, Oles!

You better not limit my RPS without letting me know - I am in a contract according to the terms and conditions as we are a UK company, you need to honour that.

Always something bad when I come read these forums these days.
Yep, they are quite clearly in breach of laws relating to supply of goods and services and trade descriptions.

RapidSpeeds
26-09-2010, 18:49
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
The right way to do something like this is to email all RPS customers and ask them to put themselves forward for the test, in exchange for a free month of service or something.
I agree, but in my mind the right way to sort it is to keep my RPS 100Mbps which I paid for.

They have obviously discovered the RPS servers have better single thread speeds than any other server (kimi/sp/eg/mg).

elvis1
26-09-2010, 17:54
The right way to do something like this is to email all RPS customers and ask them to put themselves forward for the test, in exchange for a free month of service or something.

This is like a water company reducing the pressure to 10% without warning, then charging you the same. If you're supplying a service, you keep providing the service as it was when the customer subscribed.
thumbs up mate

Razakel
26-09-2010, 15:16

This is like a water company reducing the pressure to 10% without warning, then charging you the same. If you're supplying a service, you keep providing the service as it was when the customer subscribed.

Busby
26-09-2010, 02:37
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Oi, Oles!

You better not limit my RPS without letting me know - I am in a contract according to the terms and conditions as we are a UK company, you need to honour that.

We all are

RapidSpeeds
26-09-2010, 00:01
Oi, Oles!

unclebob
24-09-2010, 23:26
Maximum quality for little cost? Forget the network storage and plug in a £30 120GB 2.5" SATA hard drive. I'll pay for the drive, installation of said drive and the 2W of power it needs.

Busby
24-09-2010, 23:00

"Details In order to increase the stability of the stocking infrastructure,
we are making a test on 300 RPS at the level of
the synchronisation of the RPS port to 10Mbps. Thanks to
forcing the speed of the port to 10Mbps, the switch and the RPS
will generate the messages "flow" towards the stocking infra
in order to manage the QoS. We are also thinking of avoiding certain clients
which take much resources from the stocking infra and at
the end cause the crash of the stocking.

It is a great reappraisal of the RPS offer. The objective
is to provide maximum quality in comparison with the price
which customers are ready to pay."

It is a great reappraisal of the RPS offer
Really? for who!!

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 22:58
Yeah, to be fair I'd have been ok with that, the majority of my servers could be capped with no problems. But that would have required having to write an email to send out and then process the requests from people that didn't want a cap. Much easier to skip any planning and just go ahead and deal with the complaints with copy/paste replies

Busby
24-09-2010, 22:34
Presumably, there will be a lot more feathers flying when the rest of RPS's get capped at 10Mbs

It would have been the easiest thing in the world, for OVH to have e-mailed all their RPS customers in advance, stating they needed to do this test, and asking for a response if it was going to be an issue for the customer. Those who replied, saying it was, [probably a minority] could opt out, keeping everybody happy..

Naa.. Too simple

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 19:30
I understand why you'd draw that analogy. But consider this, say that in your analogy the car wheel pulls to the right a lot so the salesperson turns up and says "there's a problem with the wheel we must fix immediately to ensure you get the quality you paid for, we'll return it in 10 days"..
No no - it's different, it's not like saying "we'll return in 10 days", you're saying "we might return in 10 days".

There's a big difference because we all know you won't.

unclebob
24-09-2010, 18:52
2 - I disagree, it's precisely because of the long term implications that this issue has occured. Some people are upset due to the short term effects.
If long term implications were truly thought of, these kinds of issues would not arise in the first place.

yonatan
24-09-2010, 18:40
On the bright side, this will make my VPS offers more attractive :-)

bahh ... on the other site .... this killed my shoutcast radio station :-(

fozl
24-09-2010, 18:37
We won't be (and haven't been) shy in relating all of your opinions on this.

Myatu
24-09-2010, 18:14
I understand why you'd draw that analogy. But consider this, say that in your analogy the car wheel pulls to the right a lot so the salesperson turns up and says "there's a problem with the wheel we must fix immediately to ensure you get the quality you paid for, we'll return it in 10 days".
No-no, what OVH has essentially done is recall those sold cars, but didn't send out a letter to the owners about the recall and in the middle of the night there's a recovery vehicle taking away the customer's car...

Now, I don't own an RPS, so I'm complaining a bit from the side-lines here. But, it's not the first time OVH has done things without notifying people prior to doing something significant to servers. This time you're merely "testing" something, and it does not appear to be security related, so why the suddenness?

What I'm trying to get across - and have been for quite some time -, is that you simply can't do these kind of things on production servers / hosting products, without giving due notice. Simply put: it's ignorant. Oles needs to get that into his mind; we're not France where this might be acceptable, though the French seem to be complaining as well:

"Octave, quand apprendra tu a ne pas faire des tests en prod ? A ne pas modifier les clauses d'un contrat en cours d’exécution ? A te comporter comme un pro et pas comme un bricoleur du dimanche ?"

fozl
24-09-2010, 18:10
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
Just outta interest, could you not have put a shout out for volunteers?

It just seems the whole way you guys went about this is just plain wrong.
There are certainly things we could do/could have done better, that's for sure. Thus this situation really.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
It's the classic OVH problem:

1. unsustainable business practices
2. decisions that are made without thinking of the long term implications
3. a complete disregard for customers
1 - How so?

2 - I disagree, it's precisely because of the long term implications that this issue has occured. Some people are upset due to the short term effects.

3 - see 2.

unclebob
24-09-2010, 18:05
It's the classic OVH problem:

1. unsustainable business practices
2. decisions that are made without thinking of the long term implications
3. a complete disregard for customers

jonlewi5
24-09-2010, 17:55
I understand why you'd draw that analogy. But consider this, say that in your analogy the car wheel pulls to the right a lot so the salesperson turns up and says "there's a problem with the wheel we must fix immediately to ensure you get the quality you paid for, we'll return it in 10 days".

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, but if a service we provide develops problems, we are obliged to resolve them, this obligation on our part is in the contract.
Just outta interest, could you not have put a shout out for volunteers?

It just seems the whole way you guys went about this is just plain wrong.

fozl
24-09-2010, 17:51
If I bought a car and a few days later the salesman came and took a wheel off saying "I'm just testing to see if your car will run on 3 wheels, you will get the wheel back in 10 days" then I'd be extremely annoyed. This is effectively what OVH have done by reducing a service that has already been paid for.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused, but if a service we provide develops problems, we are obliged to resolve them, this obligation on our part is in the contract.

unclebob
24-09-2010, 17:44
If I bought a car and a few days later the salesman came and took a wheel off saying "I'm just testing to see if your car will run on 3 wheels, you will get the wheel back in 10 days" then I'd be extremely annoyed. This is effectively what OVH have done by reducing a service that has already been paid for.

And quite frankly, I don't care about your tests. If you want to do tests then set up servers to test at your own expense and not ours. No service provider should ever do tests on customer servers that are paid for in advance.
I completely agree.

Whoever thought running "tests" on customers' production servers is an i.diot.

I'd hate to be an OVH customer that doesn't regularly check the forums. If you're going to be messing around with our servers, the least you could do is email us in advance.

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 17:37

And quite frankly, I don't care about your tests. If you want to do tests then set up servers to test at your own expense and not ours. No service provider should ever do tests on customer servers that are paid for in advance.

Neil
24-09-2010, 17:28
In what way will affected customers be compensated? You downgraded services that have been paid for in advance so customers are entitled to either have the purchased service resumed or a refund or account credit.
Regarding current customers:
- We are currently passing the RPS to 10Mbps,
and tests will take approximately 10 days
- As a result, we will soon have the true results of this
test and we will decide if this change
will improve quality or not

We will find a solution.
We need to wait for the test to finish, once this has been done we will then find a solution.

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 16:26
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Untrue all RPS have been limited to 10Mbps, just check the French Forum, after the 10 Days you can contact us and we will propose solutions to customers who have been affected by this issue.

Edit: When I mean 'all', I mean from all countries, it is 300 Servers see https://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=578 - these 300 are a mixture and not all UK.
In what way will affected customers be compensated? You downgraded services that have been paid for in advance so customers are entitled to either have the purchased service resumed or a refund or account credit.

Neil
24-09-2010, 15:54
I have just spoken to a friend in France and he tells me he still has 100Mbs on his. He is thinking of changing to a basic Kimsufi, which has unmetered 100Mbs. No 3Tb caps there..

Seems like UK customers are getting a raw deal..
Untrue all RPS have been limited to 10Mbps, just check the French Forum, after the 10 Days you can contact us and we will propose solutions to customers who have been affected by this issue.

Edit: When I mean 'all', I mean from all countries, it is 300 Servers see https://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=578 - these 300 are a mixture and not all UK.

Busby
24-09-2010, 15:03
Yes, I was in my manager earlier, and it went offline for maintenance..

unclebob
24-09-2010, 15:03
It's a shame the UK doesn't have class action lawsuits...

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 15:00
Not even answering the phones, what a surprise!

jonlewi5
24-09-2010, 14:53
Wow, just wow, that really is disgusting tbh ovh.

Busby
24-09-2010, 14:48
Hmm - I see our French cousins don't have any of the restrictions that we have:

http://www.kimsufi.com/ks/

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/superplan_mini.xml

As OVH use a lot of their own network, I can't understand the reasoning..

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 14:40
Things like this really F*** me off. I put a lot of effort into running a legitimate business and keeping everything above board and then you see other companies operating with total disregard to the law and their customers.

They are still advertising RPS as 100Mbps.

Many customers are at the start or middle of a 12 month contract.

I'd never dream of doing this to my customers and I'm sure that most people here wouldn't.

Busby
24-09-2010, 14:37
I have just spoken to a friend in France and he tells me he still has 100Mbs on his. He is thinking of changing to a basic Kimsufi, which has unmetered 100Mbs. No 3Tb caps there..

Seems like UK customers are getting a raw deal..

Busby
24-09-2010, 14:32
Quote Originally Posted by NickW

What about people who paid for 12 months under the impression it was 100Mbps?

Isn't this illegal?
That's me, and I would guess a number of people wanting to avoid paying half the annual fees, in setup charges

Andy
24-09-2010, 13:27
Suggest you contact them for a full refund. They shouldn't be doing that as the website clearly states 100Mbps. This is false advertising and can be classed as fraud. I suggest you take action ASAP by way of refund. Any legal boffins out there might go further

NickW
24-09-2010, 13:06
I see this just as a method of curbing what I imagine is a loss on RPS from a load of users just using them for cheap bandwidth.

Not sure how this effects the access to the storage as that's already limited at a speed lower than the switchport anyway.

What about people who've paid extra for fast access?

What about people who paid for 12 months under the impression it was 100Mbps?

Isn't this illegal?

fozl
24-09-2010, 10:23
So as to keep your feelings about this issue in one place I'm merging this thread...

elvis1
24-09-2010, 03:51
We will now begin the tests on the RPS
in production by changing the speed of the switch port
to move from the 100Mbps to 10Mbps.
absurd. well not that much ( absurd) as according to Neil (IIRC),this boxes were just to play with

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 02:51
How about, rather than running the tests for 10 days to decide whether changing port speeds from 100Mbps to 10Mbps would improve the quality of service, I'll tell you now - completely free of charge

Get ready for this, because you are going to be utterly stunned at this profound insight and you may even kick yourself for not thinking of it yourself.

No it won't, it will considerably reduce the quality of service.

BELLonline
24-09-2010, 02:02
They can't legally do this, if someone had paid for the service then the service that was advertised must be provided until the date that it expires.

If you have paid for a year then the service must be provided up until your next renewal date.

OVH have done this without considering the repercussions and I think it's going to be a big shock for them if they continue with it for long.

Busby
24-09-2010, 00:40
Not legal, and defiantly not ethical..

unclebob
24-09-2010, 00:36
Its really not on when OVH offer something, you agree to the offer, pay the asking price, then they change the terms without even telling you in advance, so you can prepare for it
Yes, I don't see how what OVH are doing can be legal.

Busby
24-09-2010, 00:22
You're barking mad!

How'd you feel if EDF unannounced cuts the voltage to OVH's datacenters to 1/10th of what it is now, and when you complain that you can't run your servers like this, they answer "Oh, we're just testing to see if we can provide electricity more efficient this way. Don't worry, it's only for a few days, but we may decide to keep it that way."

Besides, nothing in the TOS says you can do this for "experimental" purposes (upgrade, yes, but a "test" could hardly be considered an upgrade).
Yea, nice comparison!

So unprofessional..

Busby
24-09-2010, 00:05
Same here, how can they do this to us, my RPS has worked fine for around 2 years and I have paid another years subscription.

Its really not on when OVH offer something, you agree to the offer, pay the asking price, then they change the terms without even telling you in advance, so you can prepare for it

I believe that France & Belgium RPS are not affected..

unclebob
23-09-2010, 23:57
They've done it to everyone now... http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4636

I'm really not happy about this.

Busby
23-09-2010, 22:13
Yes, at 20:00hrs tonight UK, my bandwidth was limited to 10Mbs. No warning or hint this was going to happen..

Only at OVH

Busby
23-09-2010, 21:57
Looks like I'm having the same issue, I'm going to open a ticket

Myatu
23-09-2010, 19:55
You're barking mad!

How'd you feel if EDF unannounced cuts the voltage to OVH's datacenters to 1/10th of what it is now, and when you complain that you can't run your servers like this, they answer "Oh, we're just testing to see if we can provide electricity more efficient this way. Don't worry, it's only for a few days, but we may decide to keep it that way."

Besides, nothing in the TOS says you can do this for "experimental" purposes (upgrade, yes, but a "test" could hardly be considered an upgrade).

unclebob
23-09-2010, 17:15
will you remove the setup fee after this step?
Hahahaha! Good one

yonatan
23-09-2010, 16:43
will you remove the setup fee after this step?

unclebob
23-09-2010, 16:38
Merde

Disk access is already limited for basic RPS customers to 1MB/s, why port limit as well?

oles@ovh.net
23-09-2010, 15:02
Hello
We have completed work on the update
the storage infrastructure. Most notably on the network.

http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=567

We will now begin the tests on the RPS
in production by changing the speed of the switch port
to move from the 100Mbps to 10Mbps. According to some
tests we have conducted, it can increase
the stability of the storage infrastructure. Of course, the
iSCSI for the management of QoS is to send
messages which "flow" on the network (not dropping packages).
These messages can tell the filer or the RPS to
"Stop sending data" or "you can send
data ". If we drop the QoS packets,
since it is storage, it will cause corruption of
data (which is automatically corrected but which
will freeze the RPS for a few seconds). For the time being
we have not found a switch that can manage
the QoS in this way. Storage on the network
is a very recent activity. So we want to try
a trick by forcing the port speed of the switch
to 10Mbps and leaving the switch under the RPS' care
to manage the QoS.

If tests are successful at 10Mbps, we will change
the commercial offer.

We will find a solution.

This will improve the quality of an offer well
liked by a lot of customers, not only in relation to
price, but especially by its aspect-oriented sections
in terms of CPU and RAM. Despite the fact
we planned to stop offering this and it was announced
are receiving more orders every day
that puts us in doubt: maybe the offer should be kept.
Anyway, on our side, we will
find a technical solution (whatever
the solution) to make the offer "not debatable"
In terms of reliability, or we will stop altogether. We will
explore the idea of 10Mbps and the findings in
10 days.

Regards
Octave

Winit
23-09-2010, 13:12
Are you paying for the service? It looks like they're using you as a test dummy!

kingders
23-09-2010, 03:15
my rps change bandwidth 10 days.
i had ticket 541684.
but still limit to 10Mbps.its no any reason.
that operator (Celine S.) said that:
For: rf19691-ovh
Date: 2010-09-19 16:53:35

Dear customer,

I inform you that the bandwidth of RPS's
is limited to 10mbs.
In fact, it is an experimentation which is ongoing
in order to ameliorate the reliability of RPS's.
The connection is therefore placed at 10M.

We tank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Celine S.

Date: 2010-09-20 13:10:41

Dear Customer,

in fact , the bandwidth is 10Mb only, in order
to do tests to improve the functionning of the rps servers.

Kind Regards
Celine S.

Date: 2010-09-22 12:28:49

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, we can not make exceptions.
You can check with the technical support.

Best Regards,
Celine S