OVH Community, your new community space.

Server Suspended Without Notice

Neil
17-11-2010, 13:30
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
This is what meant to happen now, according to this thread, but most say it doesn't come into affect - as you can see for yourself.
This case was unique and was resolved, we do send emails about abuse issues, but some require action very quickly.

LawsHosting
17-11-2010, 12:51
Quote Originally Posted by vbjr
Usually other DC's would contact you by email and inform you about the problem, if you dont resolve it within 24 hours, if no reply then they proceed to shut down.
This is what meant to happen now, according to this thread, but most say it doesn't come into affect - as you can see for yourself.

vbjr
17-11-2010, 12:09
Usually other DC's would contact you by email and inform you about the problem, if you dont resolve it within 24 hours, then they would call you, if no reply then they proceed to shut down.

I hope OVH would follow this path

impstimp
27-09-2010, 12:33
This has been resolved with OVH now and they have explained to me that this was a pretty irregular circumstance that caused this which I'm happy with.

I still think OVH should have something in place though to resolve disputes over a 24/7 period though, so I hope they implement something shortly so others don't get this sort of problem.

Thanks, this thread can be closed now

impstimp
25-09-2010, 22:16
I'd just like to add, OVH are generally a good host, I have run into a similar problem before on another server and OVH contacted me to remove the content, the content was removed and everything was fine... However on this occassion it seems someone was either having a bad day or decided just not to contact us to remove the content.

It would be good though if OVH did provide some level of support which allowed customers to reinstate the server over a weekend though, so I hope they read this

impstimp
25-09-2010, 21:51
I presume someone must have deliberately reported the content to OVH. The site is a site where users can post content, so it's not something that was posted by us, but we are responsible to keep the site clean of bad content and remove it swiftly.

What I have a problem with is that we weren't notified and we weren't given a chance even when the server was suspended to get it removed and the server bought back online, instead we're told "wait until Monday"... which isn't good enough, especially when you're relying on the income generated from the sites on the server...

LawsHosting
25-09-2010, 21:17
I know its their server, but I would like to know the "reasons" for the suspension? Because, like you, many host hundreds of domains, and if we would be faced with the same situation..... Another note, if it was actual (dubious) material (files), how did OVH discover this, as numerous times I hear "the content you are sharing must be legal, if you are share anything illegal your server maybe suspended." but I can't see anywhere that states how they find out if any illegal stuff resides on servers.

impstimp
25-09-2010, 19:32
I'm getting more of a response now from Support so hopefully this is getting resolved now.

I hope OVH do something about this though and others don't have to go through what I've been through today... It's been a total pain and completely unnecessary.

impstimp
25-09-2010, 19:31
Madame, Monsieur,

Par la présente, nous vous informons que vous avez enfreint
une ou
plusieurs clauses des contrats vous liant à OVH, à savoir :
- les Conditions Générales de Service
- les Conditions Particulières d'Hébergement et Location
de Serveurs Dédiés

Conformément aux conditions sus-citées, nous avons été
contraint de
suspendre votre serveur xxx.kimsufi.com

BigMAC
25-09-2010, 18:32
Quote Originally Posted by impstimp
Yes, this is what I said previously, this is how I found out that they suspended the server, not from being notified, but by finding the sites weren't working, going in to the manager and reading some French that they had suspended the server.

I don't know why they couldn't take the extra 5 minutes to send me an email to say to rectify the problem rather than just suspend the server, now this has caused more work for them, made me angry and disappointed with OVH even more and lost me money / users...
Care to share what they said in french?

impstimp
25-09-2010, 18:04
Yes, this is what I said previously, this is how I found out that they suspended the server, not from being notified, but by finding the sites weren't working, going in to the manager and reading some French that they had suspended the server.

I don't know why they couldn't take the extra 5 minutes to send me an email to say to rectify the problem rather than just suspend the server, now this has caused more work for them, made me angry and disappointed with OVH even more and lost me money / users...

slacker
25-09-2010, 17:18
Login to manager.
Go to "Contact our support".
click "See my incidents". Is there any open ticket about this server?

impstimp
25-09-2010, 15:58
It had adult content on it, but also just normal sites on it...

Like I said though, I can understand why OVH would suspend a server, I have no problem with that, but to give no notice and to not give me a way to rectify this server and get it back up is crazy. I have many other servers with OVH and all are fine...

Now their support ticket that was open which was discussing to resolve this has been removed... rather than dealing with the problem with me, they're trying to just delete it and not respond. What kind of service is this??

Getting pretty annoyed at how OVH are dealing with this and offering no solutions to get service up and running for MANY users...

BigMAC
25-09-2010, 15:50
Yes, I've checked, they never gave me any warning, they literally posted in the incident area in the manager that the server had been suspended (in French) and not contacted me in any way about it!

I really don't mind the server being disabled if they have good reason or if I fail to comply with what they have requested, but I was given no notice to remove the bad content and they still haven't given me access to remove the content... which to me seems absurd! Let alone the fact that having done all this that they have no one who can follow up until Monday!!
I know sometimes providers do suspend things without warning for serious issues, Like network scanning or sending mass spam...

What you using the server for?

impstimp
25-09-2010, 15:23
Yes, I've checked, they never gave me any warning, they literally posted in the incident area in the manager that the server had been suspended (in French) and not contacted me in any way about it!

I really don't mind the server being disabled if they have good reason or if I fail to comply with what they have requested, but I was given no notice to remove the bad content and they still haven't given me access to remove the content... which to me seems absurd! Let alone the fact that having done all this that they have no one who can follow up until Monday!!

BigMAC
25-09-2010, 14:30

Why were we not notified correctly there was even a problem?
Why do I need to translate from French to English to even understand the problem?
And why do I have to wait until Monday now to try and fix this problem??!
Have you checked your SPAM Email Folders?

OVH is a french based company, So when dealing direct with the datacenter your going to get french staff.

Plenty of online translators and programmes out their to help with this.

I believe OVH Support is only 24/7 for sales and not support.

Ive heard countless times about them shutting off servers on the weekend and not bringing them back on untill following mid week.

However when your the size of OVH you can probley afford to loose afew clients here and their, However this doesnt help you nor their reputation.

But when push comes to shove, You get what you pay for in life

Cheers,

HandsomeChap
25-09-2010, 13:16
Maybe you should double check you've not received an email, log into your account and click on your 'nic handle' top right then email summary and see if you've missed one

impstimp
25-09-2010, 11:17
OVH have just suspended one of my servers with over 100 sites on it without notice. The only way I found out was when I was unable to access one of the sites on the server and then went into the manager to find a small note written in French that the server had been suspended.

I completely understand that a server can be suspended and understand that OVH suspended the server for the right reasons... However what I don't understand is that they are unable to turn it back on so that we can remove the offending content and report the situation to the correct authorities...

How are we meant to fix this problem?
Why were we not notified correctly there was even a problem?
Why do I need to translate from French to English to even understand the problem?
And why do I have to wait until Monday now to try and fix this problem??!

Surely if OVH can suspend a server on a Saturday morning that they can reinstate the server on a Saturday??

I find this unbelievable for a company of this size in this industry which is a 24/7 industry that they seem to completely shutdown over a weekend and provide no way for their customers to contact / rectify a problem!

OVH have now lost me money over the next 2 days, traffic and loss of returning users... OVH seem to be getting worse and worse recently.

Thank you,
A not very happy customer.