OVH Community, your new community space.

Over 60 hours for support to respond to a critial ticket?

marks
28-09-2010, 10:50
It seems to go down every 2-3 days for 12 hours or so and mysteriously comes back online. The fact that this server comes back online automatically likely points to a hardware issue. If it was a software issue, it would not come back up automatically.
weak.
And definitely it's not a proof that there is a hardware problem.

If you can't find the logs for what may be causing the problem, at least, show that you've reinstalled the server and, without installing anything, you can show that the server is rebooting by itself.

fozl
27-09-2010, 14:54
mks, I've chased this up with our IE colleagues, Dan emailed you thismorning I believe.

Closing this thread now, you know why.

Andy
27-09-2010, 12:28
Cancel the server and order a new one, easiest way around it if support won't sort it out.

mks
27-09-2010, 11:33
Emailing to support actually gets a faster response than opening a critical ticket. Like last time, they checked the server when the services are already back up automatically after the routine downtime. Once again, if this keeps happening, we will never find out what's wrong with the server.

Very frustrating.

mks
27-09-2010, 09:07
I have over 20 servers from other datacenters including OVH, I manage all of them myself and have been doing so for over 2 years. While I don't consider myself an expert, I do know how to solve most problems. But I have tried everything and I am not able to find what the problem is, there is nothing in the logs on why this server is acting like this.

The server is now online without any intervention from OVH again. First time occurred several days ago. It seems to go down every 2-3 days for 12 hours or so and mysteriously comes back online. The fact that this server comes back online automatically likely points to a hardware issue. If it was a software issue, it would not come back up automatically.

I know the server is unmanaged but they at least have to be responsible for the server being online. The server does not even boot, how am I suppose to manage it if it isn't booting? I suspect this is probably a hardware issue with the server that comes and goes, could be the RAM, motherboard, NIC, etc.

I don't think this is that difficult to find where the problem is. Any competent tech would know what's wrong by hooking up a monitor when the server isn't booting and be able to find the problem from the error messages. At this rate whenever they finally look at the server, the server is back online from it's routine 12 hours downtime, how are they ever going to find the problem this way?

They need to check this server when it isn't booting but this is impossible if they are taking 60 hours to respond.

yonatan
27-09-2010, 06:33
Ok that's great, now have a look at the file

/var/log/messages

look for errors ( any line which has the word error in it ... ).

while you at it ,check your rig temp with the sensors command and hddtemp /dev/sda ...

I think you did not get the idea of an un-managed server.
once you feel there is a problem ( or actually do have a problem ), you will have to provide LOG files that shows the exact issue you are facing.

when they tell you go into rescue , this means .. go look at your logs and tell them what the problem is with the server.

that's the nature of an un-managed service.

if the machines starts up in rescue-pro, and you can mount your hard drive - they don't do anything for you, as that's all you need in order to find the problem in Most cases.

heh , not what you expected? , maybe you need a managed server... or a skilled server admin to help you out.

mks
27-09-2010, 05:46
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
The problem with the ovh.ie, is that there is like 1 guy that does the sales/billing/support, and that is Dan. I think he is overloaded, and they should hire more people to help him out so there isn't 60-100+ hour replies for tickets or any other misc inquiry.
Remember they have 3 levels of support tickets that are for response times of 12 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hours. Even 12 hours for an emergency is too long and they took over 60 hours to respond. How many hours for them to respond to the 48 hours tickets? Multiply that by 5 again for 240 hours / 10 days?

What I hated the most is how they responded to the ticket, I feel they didn't take my ticket seriously and just sort of pushed it aside. That is unacceptable when I have been waiting over 60 hours for a resolution.

Now I have the SAME problem again that should have been taken care of already. If any OVH staff is reading, please escalate my ticket's status so that it will get a serious response.

Speedy059
27-09-2010, 04:48
The problem with the ovh.ie, is that there is like 1 guy that does the sales/billing/support, and that is Dan. I think he is overloaded, and they should hire more people to help him out so there isn't 60-100+ hour replies for tickets or any other misc inquiry.

mks
27-09-2010, 01:40
Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeChap
you can attach your hdd from rescue mode and then paste the details from any file such as fstab :-] So long as the drives arent fried anyways
That's what I did, this is the output:
Code:
/dev/sda1       /       ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/sda2       swap    swap    defaults        0       0
/dev/sdb1       /home2  ext3    defaults                1       2
proc            /proc   proc    defaults                0       0
sysfs           /sys    sysfs   defaults                0       0
tmpfs           /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
devpts          /dev/pts        devpts  defaults        0       0
Grub.conf output
Code:
default=0
timeout=5

title linux centos5_64
        kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.33.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-64 root=/dev/sda1  ro
        root (hd0,0)

yonatan
27-09-2010, 01:35
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
How can he show you that when he can't even get an OS to load? Keep up!
umm rescue-pro?

HandsomeChap
26-09-2010, 23:51
you can attach your hdd from rescue mode and then paste the details from any file such as fstab :-] So long as the drives arent fried anyways

Andy
26-09-2010, 22:20
How can he show you that when he can't even get an OS to load? Keep up!

yonatan
26-09-2010, 21:16
Quote Originally Posted by mks
This is just a regular server, there is no NFS setup on the server. This error comes up because it can't find the boot drive so it looks for NFS and then floppy drive.

I doubt this is a very hard problem to fix if they would only login to the server.
show us your /etc/fstab

mks
26-09-2010, 20:20
This is just a regular server, there is no NFS setup on the server. This error comes up because it can't find the boot drive so it looks for NFS and then floppy drive.

I doubt this is a very hard problem to fix if they would only login to the server.

yonatan
26-09-2010, 19:15
NFS?

is that an RPS server?

mks
26-09-2010, 19:05
Yes, the tech only told me to use rescue mode and check the logs, a useless response since I already posted that I tried that already in the ticket.

I know these forums are for .uk clients but I've seen these staff are a lot more responsive and can actually get the right tech to look at your issue faster at least.

This is the problem when I use vKVM:
Code:
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

yonatan
26-09-2010, 19:01
Quote Originally Posted by mks
It took support 60 hours to respond to my critical ticket and they only told me to go into rescue mode and check the logs myself to find the problem.

Since they didn't even take a sincere look at the problem, I am having the same problem with the server again. It seems they didn't even completely read the ticket at all because I clearly write that I booted into rescue mode before and can't fix the problem.

I am very disappointed with how my ticket was handled.

Please don't tell me to go to OVH IE, the forums there is empty and you can see how horrible tech support is from this ticket.

Ticket #549084

I need a support staff to really look into why my server is not working, not just tell me to fix it myself.
have you got a tech from your behalf to take a look at the issue?

you know... these forums are for .uk clients, but if you post some technical details of the issue , they friends on the forum might have an idea for a fix...

mks
26-09-2010, 18:59
It took support 60 hours to respond to my critical ticket and they only told me to go into rescue mode and check the logs myself to find the problem.

Since they didn't even take a sincere look at the problem, I am having the same problem with the server again. It seems they didn't even completely read the ticket at all because I clearly write that I booted into rescue mode before and can't fix the problem.

I am very disappointed with how my ticket was handled.

Please don't tell me to go to OVH IE, the forums there is empty and you can see how horrible tech support is from this ticket.

Ticket #549084

I need a support staff to really look into why my server is not working, not just tell me to fix it myself.