OVH Community, your new community space.

10Mbit shaping randomly, any ideas?

Thelen
29-09-2010, 13:25
Hi,

I provide you an little explanation how we work.
This can help you to have direct an answer instead of
questions.
Without the necessary informations straight up from the
first message: we can not help and so we ask informations.
The answer from Celine is in regard to this message:
---

The server got shaped on last billing cycle. The network
speed has not been restored to 1Gbps for this server.

Server is only transferring 1.1M/s outbound and 1.1M/s
inbound maximum, despite link should be 1Gbps. Last billing

cycle this server was shaped.

---
The answer is right.

She ask the standard questions that we always ask all
customers because before contacting an admin as me, Celine
must provide some informations like this.

Your problem can be created from: switch problem, hardware
problem, routing problem.

So next time provide :
ethtool eth0 | grep Speed.
if the speed is ok, we need all other informations who I
have give in my first answer if you have bandwith problems
or routing problems.

Best regards,
Angie
IE, "we know you know what the problem is but we are OVH and have to follow stupid internal procedures and waste time instead of just doing what needs to be done".

Such fail, I know Celine has to ask, but clearly they are re-inventing the wheel every single time. As well, the response differs every time as well (for example, this is the first time they've said "ethtool eth0 | grep Speed").

Oh well, next time I will just hack into the switch and fix it myself, will be quicker...

Thelen
29-09-2010, 08:40
Engineer fixed speed, so we just restart the NIC and it is Gbit.

As usual, it always gets fixed albeit takes 2 days or so...

raxxeh
29-09-2010, 06:30
Quote Originally Posted by marks
Is it an RPS server or else?

They may ask you to do the test to show the limitation. As you may understand, if a server doesn't get to 10Mbps doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem. Lots of people don't use the server over 10Mbps.
Perhaps you should spend a little bit of time understanding commandline linux.

Mii-tool is a cli tool used to detect what the port speed is running at, not what throughput the port is currently using.

In other words, Thelen's server is currently HARD LIMITED to 10mbit going by the results of mii-tool.

As a person who is supposed to be helping these customers, it helps to know simple things like that.

BELLonline
28-09-2010, 18:55
Basically they're using your server to run "tests" to see if it would be better (for them) to limit everyone to 10Mbit.

http://forums.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4636

Join the club

marks
28-09-2010, 15:28
Is it an RPS server or else?

They may ask you to do the test to show the limitation. As you may understand, if a server doesn't get to 10Mbps doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem. Lots of people don't use the server over 10Mbps.

Thelen
28-09-2010, 14:45
x:~# mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIREG on eth0 failed: Input/output error
SIOCGMIIREG on eth0 failed: Input/output error
eth0: negotiated 10baseT-FD, link ok

raxxeh
28-09-2010, 11:48
mii-tool eth0.

Thelen
28-09-2010, 11:01
I had been wondering which server would randomly be limited to 10Mbit this month, now I know

Raised a ticket, and Celine S being her usual useless un-helper asks us to put it into rescue mode and run the bandwidth test. Of course, it takes 5 seconds for her to check our MRTG graph to see it is stuck @ 10Mbit, but does she? Noooo.

eth0: 1188.12 KB/s 1200.31 KB/s

Looks dang like 10Mbit to me, what about you?

This happens about once a month, with a different server, and takes a few days to get fixed. I don't know why, Celine is the first contact every time, and always ends up escalating to engineers somewhere (presumably france) and then they do something and its instantly fixed. Nothing we do on the server fixes it (obviously, since it is switch-side limited), yet they/she always insists we run useless tests....