OVH Community, your new community space.

IP Geolocation

Razakel
18-11-2010, 15:31
You have to keep in mind that the routing happens through the French DataCentre Routers, so even if you are using a GeoIP, websites and traceroutes will always show the server being in France and not in the location of the registered IP address such as UK.
No site works out your location by tracerouting you. The overhead would be horrendous. Geolocalisation is done by querying a database of all assigned IP ranges, which includes the country.

vbjr
17-11-2010, 12:54
You have to keep in mind that the routing happens through the French DataCentre Routers, so even if you are using a GeoIP, websites and traceroutes will always show the server being in France and not in the location of the registered IP address such as UK.

If you wanna hide the IP a bit further (although still traceable to France) then make sure you assign the reverse-DNS for the IP.

The only way to really hide the location of the server is by tunneling the connection (e.g. VPN), but then that means that you need another server in another location like UK (make sure it has unlimited traffic, because it will surely use a lot of bandwidth, for every request made, the server would have to download the data and then forward to the French server, thats 2x transfers per every request) - probably not worth it, unless you are really trying to hide the IP, but then again if you are renting another server in another location and using it for tunelling then why need the OVH server? :P

Razakel
01-10-2010, 17:00
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Hello gents,

My server's IP (91.121.113.*) seems to be "located" in France even though I purchased it from OVH UK.

How can I make my server appear to be in the UK??

Thanks
The fixed IP is always French. When you add a failover you can select what country it should be from.

Bear in mind not everywhere keeps up-to-date IP geolocation info, so it might still appear as a foreign server if you're trying to access iPlayer or whatever.

everwicked
01-10-2010, 14:16
Quote Originally Posted by gregoryfenton
http://www.itsyourip.com/networking/...ws-2000xp2003/

This has a guide.

Much easier in linux
Yay, done

This was easy enough - just three clicks or so :P
http://help.ovh.co.uk/IpAlias

gregoryfenton
01-10-2010, 14:14
http://www.itsyourip.com/networking/...ws-2000xp2003/

This has a guide.

Much easier in linux

everwicked
01-10-2010, 14:12
Quote Originally Posted by gregoryfenton
You need to set the network card up to accept the failover ip.

What OS are you using on the server?
Windows 2008

NickW
01-10-2010, 14:12
I don't have a clue how you do it on Windows, but yes you'll need to do something to your Windows server to make it listen on that IP address.

gregoryfenton
01-10-2010, 14:11
You need to set the network card up to accept the failover ip.

What OS are you using on the server?

everwicked
01-10-2010, 14:10
Hm - thanks.

Does it take some time for the routing to take effect? I just added one UK failover but ping fails - though pinging my server works OK.

Do I need to add an IP Alias on Windows?

NickW
01-10-2010, 14:05
The servers are in France...

You can get UK failover IPs, which usually geolocate to the UK.

everwicked
01-10-2010, 14:00
Hello gents,

My server's IP (91.121.113.*) seems to be "located" in France even though I purchased it from OVH UK.

How can I make my server appear to be in the UK??

Thanks