OVH Community, your new community space.

Upgrading from shared hosting to RPS, couple questions

zydron
03-10-2010, 10:50
if it is one site that needs to run on the server, you can also use PLESK, free for 1 website!

yonatan
03-10-2010, 00:06
how much traffic are you actually planning to pull off?

I would suggest either a dedicated server with a good and easy to use hosting control panel ( such as directadmin ), or a VPS server with a control panel.

the role of a hosting control panel would be to make your life easy and deal with all the " tech " side such as MX records and general configurations of your subdomains / vhosts etc...

Razakel
02-10-2010, 17:05
Quote Originally Posted by ninjao
No worries, I know my way around *nix it's just last time, there were problems OVH side with the nameserver and MX entries and it took and age to get fixed. That's why I would appreciate it if someone from OVH could do it for me.

So you suggest keeping my website on the shared server and move the downloads to an RPS or dedicated?
Don't put downloads on an RPS. If you're going to get a dedi, you might as well use it for the lot, but there's no reason you couldn't use it for just downloads.

ninjao
02-10-2010, 15:45
No worries, I know my way around *nix it's just last time, there were problems OVH side with the nameserver and MX entries and it took and age to get fixed. That's why I would appreciate it if someone from OVH could do it for me.

So you suggest keeping my website on the shared server and move the downloads to an RPS or dedicated?

Razakel
02-10-2010, 13:44
In all honesty, you're better off with a cheapy Kimmy:
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ks/

More space and it has an actual hard drive. Oh, and you can slap Windows on it.

zydron
02-10-2010, 12:44
for file storage I prefer dedicated server or shared hosting

I have a RPS server, but that is only secundairy mail and dns
which don't need high bandwidth

gregoryfenton
02-10-2010, 12:38
With the (I could say potential) upcoming hardware limited 10Mb/s on RPS you would be hardpressed to burn through your allotted bandwidth, especially considering the 1Mb/s SAN disk connection.

Unless my maths are flawed 1Mb/s works out at 316GB in 30 days:

1Mb/s = 131,072 bytes per second (128KB)
86,400 seconds in a day
so daily traffic would be 11,324,620,800 bytes (10.546875 GB)
Assume 30 days in a month
Monthly traffic from the SAN would be 316.40625 GB.

If we figure out a way to store the files to be served in memory so the SAN is not an issue then we can simply multiply the figures as they stand by 10 to give us 10Mb/s to the network interface.

This gives us a maximum bandwidth potential of 3.089904785 terabytes a month.

You're not going to hit that unless you can absolutely guarantee 100% link saturation.

Of course that is all dependent on the whole 10/100Mb/s issue being resolved as generally expected - with OVH forcing RPS to 10Mb/s globally which I pretty much personally believe is a foregone conclusion.

zydron
02-10-2010, 11:37
no, you won't be compensated, because it isn't an upgrade.

further you must know how to handle Linux IN COMMAND LINE

server load: that depends on how your site is programmed, if it is buggy or full of gaps it will be a hell, with optimized sites it will be nothing.
OVH host your site on giant clusters, so performance will allways be better

I don't recommend RPS or dedicated server for you when I see your questions, just stay with shared hosting.

ninjao
02-10-2010, 11:08
Hi guys,

I basically am planning to upgrade from shared hosting to RPS. Maybe you can help me find a work around solution that would simplify things for me.

-Would I be compensated for the remaining months if I decided to upgrade?

-I am only upgrading because I need a place to host files (games (open source)) and would exceed my monthly cap tremendously fast if I hosted them on the shared server, so my question do you know how I might host them somewhere for free but so it appears like a direct download? That would be a work around.

-If I did upgrade is there any possibility someone might help me with the process of moving the domain and setting up the emails because this was a NIGHTMARE the last time I attempted this.

-A related, but slightly off-topic question: How good is the shared hosting in regards to server load/simultaneous user on the site? 20, 50, 100 users?

Thank you so much for any response, I really appreciate it.

-Ninjao