OVH Community, your new community space.

Downloading big file freezes server!

tim2718281
26-10-2010, 08:27
Quote Originally Posted by Morfi717
Hey,

thanks for your answer.

I minimized download rate to 800K, 500K, 300K ! And it still freezez after some time.... what could be the reason? that seriously drives me mad.
Try slowing the download rate to something your disk connection can handle.

I'd suggest 50,000 bytes per second.

marks
11-10-2010, 13:24
Have you read this forum post from our managing director?

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34532&postcount=3

it explains that there is a problem with the QoS iSCSI protocol, which we tried to find a work around to improve the overall performance , which unfortunately didn't work.

Of course, this is only for SAN access. If you don't use the SAN much, like in a telephony application, you shouldn't find the issue.

Morfi717
10-10-2010, 15:27
Hey,

thanks for your answer.

I minimized download rate to 800K, 500K, 300K ! And it still freezez after some time.... what could be the reason? that seriously drives me mad.

zydron
10-10-2010, 11:45
the cheapest RPS is indeed 1mbit san access

the reason the server freezes is I think because the server can't access the san anymore (1mbit is allready in use)

Morfi717
10-10-2010, 11:08
Hello, I will try to explain it as clearly as possible.

> I'm renting RPS II (with Debian)
> Server is running Voice server and couple other light programms

Traffic charts in ovh manager shows that Inbound is about 1,5Mb and Outbound 3,5Mb (5Mb in total).

When I want to download 512Mb file using wget, it downloads it with max 1MBps (8Mbps). After around ~20-30 seconds the download bar in ssh freezes and users are dropped from voice server.

I ran MTR from my PC -> OVH machine and there is only drastic ping raise but 0% packet loss.

Also, at evening inbound+outbound traffic is ~10Mb in total and wget was downloading as well with 1MB ! So no matter how much traffic users consump, wget downloads always will same speed, from different locations and it will always freeze the machine...

edit: Or maybe it's the thing that SAN disk at ovh can save max 1Mb data?!

Please help me out.

Regards