OVH Community, your new community space.

Backup Software.


BigMAC
12-10-2010, 22:05
@ OP are you still using RAID 0 ?

Reason i ask is because i see on another thread you say your using RAID 0

You actually get better performance from RAID 1

Can your backup software do bare metal restores, I know R1Soft does

Cheers,

Myatu
12-10-2010, 18:50
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
Hello I have alot of small files (about 250k) that are about 4.5kilobytes in size. I was wondering what the fastest program to backup files of this size was, and what the fastest zip software to unzip these with?
7-zip is multi-threaded and very fast when it comes to uncompressing ZIP files (I use it over Windows' built in ZIP support, but also for its tarball support).

BigMAC
12-10-2010, 12:57
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
I do a full backup every time because we are not so much backing up for drive failure as much as backing up for corruption of the files. We host a minecraft server on it.

In that case why not take alook at R1Soft...

Or stick to your current 5+ Hour FTP Backup's

If a file gets corrupted on your server it will be corrupted on the backup side using your current method.

To help fight against corruption it's best to run Daily, Weekly and Monthly Backup's.

But In your case this will hammer the CPU using FTP with ZIP.

Maybe R1Soft would be best for you...

Bryce@ens-ltd
12-10-2010, 12:48
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
It all depend's, So i asumme on that note their running windows server as backup4all doesnt run on linux...

Secondly backup4all is FTP which is nasty...

Rsync or DeltaCopy is much better...

Depending on how much the data changes, Daily or Weekly, backups might not be necessary...

So without any more input from the OP, I cannot really recommend a decent solution.



FTP is nasty, You should be using Rsync...

How regular do them files change ?

Cheers,
I do a full backup every time because we are not so much backing up for drive failure as much as backing up for corruption of the files. We host a minecraft server on it.

BigMAC
12-10-2010, 12:36
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I'm guessing it's the other way around BigMAC... 250,000 files will take forever to backup because of the number of files and the slow speed it will run at.

It all depend's, So i asumme on that note their running windows server as backup4all doesnt run on linux...

Secondly backup4all is FTP which is nasty...

Rsync or DeltaCopy is much better...

Depending on how much the data changes, Daily or Weekly, backups might not be necessary...

So without any more input from the OP, I cannot really recommend a decent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
No from my server to the ftp that ovh provides, the ftp is just fine (20MB/s on gbit port) The part that takes the most time is zipping the 230k files (no compression)
FTP is nasty, You should be using Rsync...

How regular do them files change ?

Cheers,

Bryce@ens-ltd
12-10-2010, 12:34
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
Am kinda confused what your trying to complish...

Are you trying to backup the files from your home PC to a Dedicated server ?

And its taking 5 Hours from start to finsh...
No from my server to the ftp that ovh provides, the ftp is just fine (20MB/s on gbit port) The part that takes the most time is zipping the 230k files (no compression)

Andy
12-10-2010, 12:32
I'm guessing it's the other way around BigMAC... 250,000 files will take forever to backup because of the number of files and the slow speed it will run at. You need a backup program that is multi-threaded. The best way to do it would be FTP with 10 threads, or to use software that will image it into a file. You could use WinRAR or similar with command line options to make a single file (uncompressed, just use the store option). It's always quicker to do this on the host machine then download 1 file.

BigMAC
12-10-2010, 12:20
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
It takes 5 hours to back it up...
Am kinda confused what your trying to complish...

Are you trying to backup the files from your home PC to a Dedicated server ?

And its taking 5 Hours from start to finsh...

Bryce@ens-ltd
12-10-2010, 11:42
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
Ok, So why ask about software if your already using some software?
It takes 5 hours to back it up...

BigMAC
12-10-2010, 11:19
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
No control panel, I am using backup4all at the moment, I do have a dedicated server MG SSD 09
They change by the minute.
Ok, So why ask about software if your already using some software?

Bryce@ens-ltd
12-10-2010, 11:17
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
Before myself can assist you, I will need little more information.


You have a dedicated server correct ?

Do you have an control panel, Such as but not limited to cPanel, Direct Admin ?

How regularly do these files change ?

Regards,
No control panel, I am using backup4all at the moment, I do have a dedicated server MG SSD 09
They change by the minute.

BigMAC
12-10-2010, 10:59
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
Hello I have alot of small files (about 250k) that are about 4.5kilobytes in size. I was wondering what the fastest program to backup files of this size was, and what the fastest zip software to unzip these with?
Before myself can assist you, I will need little more information.


You have a dedicated server correct ?

Do you have an control panel, Such as but not limited to cPanel, Direct Admin ?

How regularly do these files change ?

Regards,

Bryce@ens-ltd
12-10-2010, 01:22
Hello I have alot of small files (about 250k) that are about 4.5kilobytes in size. I was wondering what the fastest program to backup files of this size was, and what the fastest zip software to unzip these with?