OVH Community, your new community space.

SP-10R Range - HDD Brands etc

glidewave
14-10-2010, 05:35
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
On average all drives from the big manufacturers have similar failure rates.

And every drive will fail at some point, so keep good backups (RAID is not a backup!).
Common sense to the rescue

Thelen
14-10-2010, 04:48
The 1.5TB from the SP storage Hitachi absolutely suck ass (half the performance of the others), but thankfully the new 1.5TB are not them..

NickW
13-10-2010, 23:42
On average all drives from the big manufacturers have similar failure rates.

And every drive will fail at some point, so keep good backups (RAID is not a backup!).

layman
13-10-2010, 22:01
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
I prefer the Seagate drives,
they run so cool

2:~# hddtemp /dev/sdf
/dev/sdf: ST31000528AS: 24�°C

Well, I did have 250GB WD fail on an old kimsufi AMD , that was a bad experience.

And due to the fact that I got here around me about 40 Hard drives from all brands.
one of them is an old samsung WU32543A (http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...s/wu32543a.pdf)

Still works like a charm on my elderly "RAS" system at home.

It's not about the brand, its about how you utilize it and what environment you keep it in.
you come to learn that if a drive did not fail in it's first year, it's good to go for many many years .....
I agree and think of the drives that way too, but I find from reviews on newegg that some drive models and some manufacturers have a worse failure rate than others. Granted all fail here and there, but when people report 50% failure rate, whether it's newegg responsible for 20% of it by shipping in a bad packaging or not, I still would never buy the drive.

yonatan
13-10-2010, 21:42
I prefer the Seagate drives,
they run so cool

2:~# hddtemp /dev/sdf
/dev/sdf: ST31000528AS: 24�°C

Well, I did have 250GB WD fail on an old kimsufi AMD , that was a bad experience.

And due to the fact that I got here around me about 40 Hard drives from all brands.
one of them is an old samsung WU32543A (http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...s/wu32543a.pdf)

Still works like a charm on my elderly "RAS" system at home.

It's not about the brand, its about how you utilize it and what environment you keep it in.
you come to learn that if a drive did not fail in it's first year, it's good to go for many many years .....

glidewave
13-10-2010, 21:28
Ahh the beauty of "heard", "trusted" and perceived value Experience trumps all 3. No matter what brand there are always issues with any drive manuf at some point, regardless if you've "heard" it. On another note, over the years I've never had a Samsung in any of our servers.

I lost 10TB array on a LW box that had 2 drive failures in 1 week in July- and they were HP OEM Seagate Server grade drives.

Tz-OVH
13-10-2010, 21:27
It's a balance of price vs quality. I lost a drive once @ OVH, all that I got was a replacement. I didn't expect anything else.

layman
13-10-2010, 21:22
Problem is... I've heard their samsung drives are a PIECE OF S..T and do NOT provide desired speeds...

And I'd bet if you were to go ask for another server with different hdd manuf. they'd tell you to FK off, or say we don't do that, or say go buy another server and pay the setup fee and drop this server contract, and it's still not guaranteed you'd get a diff manuf..

More so, it does not appear that they are using Enterprise/Server edition drives, basically they are using consumer products which do not have the reliability server drives are supposed to have, and while I know they'll replace the HDD, I have to ask, what about the data, and what about the lower speeds as a result of using consumer vs server drive models. (Yes I know the prices are what they are probably because they are using consumer models, but if they aren't using trusted brands "WD", then I question the quality of their drives to stay alive and deliver good speeds)

glidewave
13-10-2010, 21:11
While it would be admirable for a company to do that, I would say it would be insane for them to even offer such a thing at the size OVH is at, unless they charged an extra 100 for it. As long as it works, provides the storage advertised at the nominal speeds required - done.

Winit
13-10-2010, 20:30
Doubt it layman.

layman
13-10-2010, 14:52
Is it possible to ask for a preference when ordering a new server?
For example if the staff were going to build a new server and had different manuf. hdd available, could I perhaps ask them for a WD drive?

If so where and when should I request this?

Neil
13-10-2010, 14:24
Hi

The reason we do not list the manufacturer as it varies from Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi and Samsung. So although helpful forum members are posting here, it may not be what you get.

yonatan
13-10-2010, 13:37
Quote Originally Posted by layman
What about SP-10R BestOf drives from the new reloaded servers?
this is what i got :
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00f5ee0a0aRCRD

NickW
13-10-2010, 13:36
I don't think it's a set drive. Just whatever they have available at the time or can get at a good price when buying more.

layman
13-10-2010, 13:00
What about SP-10R BestOf drives from the new reloaded servers?

slacker
13-10-2010, 08:13
For the SP Minis they are just recycling old SP BestOF's HDDs, I think.

Two of them so far both have 2x Seagate ST3750528AS

Thelen
13-10-2010, 05:11
WD EARS from what I was told.

layman
13-10-2010, 04:45
I'd like to know which brand of HDD is provided with the reloaded version of SP-10R Mini and other offers.
Is it WD, Samsung, Seagate? Which model?