OVH Community, your new community space.

reinstall not sure which OS

Myatu
03-02-2011, 18:39
Quote Originally Posted by tbobker
Unfortunately, the php that was installed with this has not come with some basic extentions such as cURL, HMAC and some others?
Do keep in mind that these can be added as packages (curl and mcrypt respectively). This is the same for most other Linux flavors, including my favorite Debian (and its sibling, Ubuntu).

Also, is anyone using Ubuntu 10 and have they had any issues?
I'm using 10.04 in production without any issues.

yonatan
03-02-2011, 00:14
Quote Originally Posted by tbobker
What are the issues with OVH kernal on Ubuntu? I can see that changing it after install is a long process?

I have reinstalled basic install and with the default file system. It has OVH kernal.

Any comments appreciated.
Ovh kernels are booted from the network in general. ( netboot )
to which version are you looking to switch over?

tbobker
02-02-2011, 23:05
What are the issues with OVH kernal on Ubuntu? I can see that changing it after install is a long process?

I have reinstalled basic install and with the default file system. It has OVH kernal.

Any comments appreciated.

zydron
16-10-2010, 12:21
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
I recommend installing from rescue-pro. You'll be able to tweak it to perfect and avoid OVH kernel etc.
H'm will look to it next time I use Linux

Currently I only use Windows, maybe for my third server

BTW, my partition table, is the default one for ubuntu (but not for the OVH version)

tbobker
16-10-2010, 12:01
Is the ready to use installs any good and what kind of changes are made in the OVH kernel?

Winit
16-10-2010, 11:49
I recommend installing from rescue-pro. You'll be able to tweak it to perfect and avoid OVH kernel etc.

zydron
16-10-2010, 11:21
nope I wont, since I dump everything in /var/www

tbobker
16-10-2010, 11:14
Hi Mate, thanks for replying.

Just to reiterate, you put everything in root partition "/" with a size of max available minus double the size of RAM?

Then your swap partition = double the size of RAM?

Are you not creating a /home partition for all your sites?

zydron
16-10-2010, 10:57
I allways use Ubuntu

It works fine, I allways install with this partition table:
/ = everything except 2 times RAM
SWAP = 2 times RAM

(Persenal partition, third choice)

tbobker
16-10-2010, 10:50
Hi All,

Currently I am running Gentoo on the dedicated server. Unfortunately, the php that was installed with this has not come with some basic extentions such as cURL, HMAC and some others? Also my root dir "/" has only 3GB and it keeps getting full and crashing MySQL.

Anyway, was thinking of reinstalling the server with another OS increasing the root partition and making sure I install the latest PHP version.

But can someone explain the difference between the basic install and the ready to go install? Also, is anyone using Ubuntu 10 and have they had any issues?