OVH Community, your new community space.

Problem during hard reboot of ns213472.ovh.net

fozl
19-10-2010, 10:25
Unless and therefore until we have a major reorganization of the forums as suggested by many posters, I'll have to continue to apply the current organization.
Therefore please address the correct forum and support for your region:

http://forum.ovh.ie/forumdisplay.php?f=16

http://www.ovh.ie/support/

Thread must be closed.

yonatan
19-10-2010, 07:08
What's showing on rescue pro?

it could be a simple cooling issue , which you need to identify or, any other part such as memory cpu motherboard power supply etc..

I had all of these with ovh , and once you identify and provide them the proper log for your issue, they will act Quickly.

use sensors, you can also boot your own rescue disk on rescue pro...

DigitalDaz
19-10-2010, 00:13
I agree with Andy, when its good its really good, when its bad, its really, really bad.

You shouldn't need to but experience here will show you that the best thing to do is get another box. The time and stress you spend trying to get it fixed may well outweigh the £50 setup fee in the end.

If you're showing errors on two physical disks as well, that may well point to some more serious fault that a simple HD replacement wouldn't fix.

Bin it before you end up bald like me

Andy
18-10-2010, 22:51
I agree, but this is OVH and they will not fix your server quickly. It will take you weeks of persuasion to get them to do anything. I wish I could be more positive but the trends are clear after following the forum for the amount of time I have.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 22:49
Unacceptable.

OVH needs to fix the server, credit time it's been down or give me a new server and restart the clock.

Whatever happened to customer service?

Andy
18-10-2010, 22:46
You won't unfortunately. And sadly OVH won't give you another server on the same deal either.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 22:45
Order a new server? Oh man... how am I going to get the same EG AMD deal?

Andy
18-10-2010, 22:43
Told you it would be hard

Your best bet is simply to order a new server... Honestly that is the quickest way.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 22:42
I've received 3 "interventions" and all they've done is a hard reboot. I don't know what else I can say to them to make them look into the server more.

Having to reboot the server 16 times in the past 3 days is not acceptable and I'm getting quite frustrated.

Is there anything you can do, Neil? Talk to someone who is at rbx3?

Neil
18-10-2010, 11:43
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
Ok, so I got login details to rescue mode (weird)

Did the HDD tests and I got erros on sda3 and sdb3 (dunno what partitions those are) and I can't get any more information out of it.
You should put the log in the ticket of the errors you get on sda3 and sdb3 then we can investigate.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 10:17
Ok, so I got login details to rescue mode (weird)

Did the HDD tests and I got erros on sda3 and sdb3 (dunno what partitions those are) and I can't get any more information out of it.

Did the network test and it looked fine.

Doing the CPU and Memory now.

I still think it has to be a NIC or something because the server works fine for a little bit and then it goes to poop and I have to keep hard rebooting it to get it back online.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 10:09
Guess that's what I'm going to have to do now. Lame.

I'll give them a ring now.

Andy
18-10-2010, 10:07
Ah right, something more is wrong then. I suspect some form of hardware failure. You should be able to get through to support any time now as they open at 9am.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 10:06
Yeah, I did that. Sent another reboot to load up the rescue mode because it said it will load on the next reboot and I got this email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

We've received your request concerning hard reboot of
ns213472.ovh.net. The server has been rebooted but it isn't
responding to ping command.

It may be cause by a malfunction of reboot system or a
problem with your machine.
We'd like to inform you that our technician will conduct
an intervention to solve the problem.

For your information:
- request date: 2010-10-18 09:46:12
- reboot date: 2010-10-18 09:47:19

Andy
18-10-2010, 09:57
You set it to rescue mode in the OVH manager as a Netboot. It loads a virtual CD into it that fires up a Linux distro. It has diagnostic tools on it. This bypasses your HD's booting up and allows you to run hardware tests.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 09:55
Can't even get into rescue mode since the server is unpingable. I've sent off another reboot request and haven't gotten an email saying the server is up or not. I've been pinging it and pinging it and nothing.

Andy
18-10-2010, 09:52
Could be some form of hardware issue, or a driver issue. I had driver issues and kept getting the same, however OVH told me nothing was wrong. As it's an intermittent issue, you have to PROVE to them it's broken (and that is VERY difficult).

Reboot your server in Rescue mode and run the diagnostic tools. Send the results to OVH. They may ask you to do it again anyway to they can monitor it while it performs the tasks, so just do so if they do ask. I hope this isn't a production server because you're going to be waiting a while to get it fixed.

To start the process off you're best ringing OVH's support line. Ask to speak to Neil if you get anyone with a French accent as he's one of the best guys there, and speaks clear English.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 05:44
Damnit! What's the fix? Install fans?

Thelen
18-10-2010, 05:37
HDD are overheating, have this problem myself.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
18-10-2010, 02:20
I've been having problems since day one with my server. It won't respond to ping every x amount of hours per day and I have to keep doing a hard reboot. I opened a ticket, but nothing has been resolved. Now when I do a hard reboot I get an email saying

Problem during hard reboot of ns213472.ovh.net

We've received your request concerning hard reboot of
ns213472.ovh.net. The server has been rebooted but it isn't
responding to ping command.

There's no way this can be a software problem; has to be hardware and OVH has not done anything about it. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? This has been the 12th time I've hard rebooted the server.

They did an "intervention" and the result of the intervention was another hard reboot. I told them that doesn't solve the underlying problem, but OVH thinks it's good for the filesystem to be hard rebooted every 3-5 hours a day.