OVH Community, your new community space.

SP servers and vrack

marks
29-10-2010, 09:47
yes, vrack provides for a more secure and robust infrastructure, and it's also scalable.
Provided that you've got at least 2 EG servers (more recommendable than Kimsufis or SP servers), you can get a vrack for up to 3 servers for 26.99/month.

When you decide that you need more servers within the vrack, you can upgrade it for up to 6 servers for 59.99/month, and so on.

Let me know if you need more information.

Loic
28-10-2010, 12:53
Thanks a lot marks, so it seems that for my server usage pattern, I either need KS i7-4T servers (with 1Gbps option + prof option) (web+file servers) or EG SSD/Hybrids with prof option (DB servers).

Maybe time to go ahead with vrack + RIPE block to have a more robust infrastructure on the long run.

marks
22-10-2010, 17:44
Thank you marks. So basically, if a SP server is in a vrack, you get only internal (vrack) traffic? Can you confirm this?
well, no. I mean exactly what I said: the external fixed IP is not usable anymore, but you certainly can do NAT in one of the other servers, and you may be able to use an IP failover too.

You can't use KS servers in a vrack.
Not exactly. More precisely: you only can use 1 Gbps servers, including Kimsufi with the 1 Gbps option, and SP with 100Mbps.

Razakel
22-10-2010, 17:31
Quote Originally Posted by Loic
This is not necessarily bad, in the sense that the SP servers are already powerful systems which can be in a backend/filer configuration with the front end being EG/MG servers (or I dare to say, even KS servers).
You can't use KS servers in a vrack.

Loic
22-10-2010, 13:57
Thank you marks. So basically, if a SP server is in a vrack, you get only internal (vrack) traffic? Can you confirm this? If so, maybe you can edit the information with:

Only internal traffic will be available. Monitoring systems, re-installation and netboot are inaccessible as your server is active within your virtual rack.

This is not necessarily bad, in the sense that the SP servers are already powerful systems which can be in a backend/filer configuration with the front end being EG/MG servers (or I dare to say, even KS servers).

Thanks for the technical explanation!

marks
22-10-2010, 13:12
here:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/virtual_rack.xml

Additional information

Activating a 100 Mbps server within your virtual rack has resulted in the temporary disabling of your public network server. Monitoring systems, re-installation and netboot are inaccessible as your server is active within your virtual rack. You can restore these services temporarily leaving the virtual server in the rack.
so, it's not very ideal to use 100Mbps server on vRacks, though possible if necessary. That's because the 100Mbps switches don't have all the functionality for the vlans required.

Razakel
22-10-2010, 11:49
Quote Originally Posted by Loic
But I can also read that the 100Mbps servers, when connected into a vrack are losing their public access. That is, you can access them from the vrack, but you cannot access them from outside.
I haven't heard that... where did you read it?

Loic
22-10-2010, 07:55
Hello,

from the information I get, it looks like it is now possible to have a SP (Super Plan) server in a vrack. But I can also read that the 100Mbps servers, when connected into a vrack are losing their public access. That is, you can access them from the vrack, but you cannot access them from outside.

Is it still the case? That is, if I order a SP server today (they have a Gbps card), can I connect it into a vrack and have both internal (vrack) ips and external (failover or RIPE ips?

Thanks in advance,
loc

Note: This is because the hybrid SP servers are really a good deal, I have no use of the extra CPU power of the new EG/MG.