OVH Community, your new community space.

A warning to those transferring servers

Thelen
29-10-2010, 08:57
We were recently notified that a payment you received was reversed by the buyer's bank.

As a result, we have reversed the following transaction:
Transaction date: 25 Oct. 2010
Transaction amount: 100.00 GBP
2nd (1st to arrive) email said
PayPal has made a transfer between the balances in your account for the following reason:

Our policy of converting positive to negative balances.

The following transfers were made:

Negative balance :
-100.00 GBP
He replied and said he'll sort it ASAP, he didn't seem like a cheat (he asked me to setup the box, and even talked on msn later about misc stuff), but lol, the last week I've exposed 3 scammer/cheaters >_>

Razakel
29-10-2010, 01:05
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Ahh the irony. I sold a server but the client paypal reversed, so now I might be in the position of reclaiming the server (i changed nic contacts).

Anyone know how to do it?
Email customer service. Also, did they reverse, or file a dispute?

DigitalDaz
29-10-2010, 00:13
According to OVH just prove you are the rightful owner, think it may be a just a case of sending photocopy of driving license or passport, one of the staff will probably clarify it.

Thelen
29-10-2010, 00:09
Ahh the irony. I sold a server but the client paypal reversed, so now I might be in the position of reclaiming the server (i changed nic contacts).

Anyone know how to do it?

Neil
25-10-2010, 10:07
Hi

When a customer orders a server, the admin nic gets copied and a owner nic gets generated (a copy of the admin nic). If you want to change this when moving a server you would need to do the procedure https://www.ovh.co.uk/cgi-bin/en/pro...hangeOwner.cgi

Although normally only for domain names it is just as important to change it if you want the new owner to be completely responsible. Since once the administrator does change then the responsibility of the server is passed to them, but you may want to change this as well for piece of mind.

We would recommend it

Razakel
23-10-2010, 14:58
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
It all does make sense. I think the fact that someone has a NIC handle is totally irrelevant.

When we sign up for a server it is our NIC handle that makes the agreement for that particular server.

I do find it a bit over the top, though I can understand it is to protect us, that the security measures to transfer a server are greater than that of ordering one.

I'm all for the smooth electronic transfer, lock, stock and barrel.
Add a page to manager that asks for destination NIC handle and the card details last used to renew the server?

DigitalDaz
23-10-2010, 14:44
It all does make sense. I think the fact that someone has a NIC handle is totally irrelevant.

When we sign up for a server it is our NIC handle that makes the agreement for that particular server.

I do find it a bit over the top, though I can understand it is to protect us, that the security measures to transfer a server are greater than that of ordering one.

I'm all for the smooth electronic transfer, lock, stock and barrel.

Razakel
23-10-2010, 14:35
In theory, at a later date, the original owner could claim back the server by proving ownership to OVH. It would be a pretty scabby person that did this and I doubt they could show their faces on here again but from what OVH said, it is a possibility.
This is something you'd entirely expect, for security reasons. It's a means to recover servers that've been "stolen" from a compromised NIC handle.

But you would think that the forum posts would serve as evidence that some agreement had been made.

Possible it could be to do with the contract? The contract is between say me and OVH. When I transfer the billing, admin and tech contacts, though I effectively lose control of the server the person I tranfer it to enters no contract with OVH.
Doesn't the fact that a person has a NIC handle imply they have a contract with OVH?

Regardless, this policy should be looked at. If OVH is serious about reducing server churn (which they're not, since for low-end servers the setup fee is obviously just an opportunity to grab more money) then this is the sort of thing they need to be encouraging.

Myatu
23-10-2010, 14:06
Ah! If the contract is considered to be agreed by the original user vs. the new user, then yes indeed, you'd want to change that as well That makes more sense...

DigitalDaz
23-10-2010, 13:34
Maybe I am wrong with the wording and maybe one of the staff maybe able to clear this up for us but it was definitely raised by OVH staff in a conversation.

Possible it could be to do with the contract? The contract is between say me and OVH. When I transfer the billing, admin and tech contacts, though I effectively lose control of the server the person I tranfer it to enters no contract with OVH.

I suppose, thinking about that, the implications could actually be worse for the person doing the transferring.

For example, the server say I transferred to microchip123, I may well still be in a contract with OVH for and responsible for whatever is done with it.

I suppose, legally, as long as the server continues to be paid for, I am just as responsible as would any other reseller.

Maybe a better description in my first post, rather than OWNERSHIP should have been LIABILITY

Thelen
23-10-2010, 13:29
From what I heard, yea you needed to use paperwork and such. BUT, that may have changed, now you might be able to just change admin contact. Either way, it doesn't show in billing or manager so as you say you'd have to prove to OVH that is the case.

TBH I don't see why they'd do that, nor why it would even in the ToS etc.

Myatu
23-10-2010, 13:24
Simply transferring the tech, billing and administrative contacts does just what it says on the tin. OWNERSHIP remains with the original owner.
I thought OVH itself retained ownership (as per the T&C's / contract you agree to)? Is this signed form something to throw a wrench into this newfound practice?

But, thanks for the heads-up though, certainly something to keep in mind!

DigitalDaz
23-10-2010, 09:51
I notice more of us are now transferring our servers between ourselves to save the setup fee. I still think this is a brilliant idea but I just want to point out something OVH made me aware of when I transferred one of mine to microchip123.

Are you actually transferring OWNERSHIP? This involves both parties physically filling in a paper form and returning it to OVH along with proof of identity of the original owner.

Simply transferring the tech, billing and administrative contacts does just what it says on the tin. OWNERSHIP remains with the original owner.

In theory, at a later date, the original owner could claim back the server by proving ownership to OVH. It would be a pretty scabby person that did this and I doubt they could show their faces on here again but from what OVH said, it is a possibility.