OVH Community, your new community space.

Strange findings

freshwire
06-11-2010, 17:22
You have a lot of javascript files that are loading one after another. With a bit of latency this can really add up.

You should try to combine the javascript files into fewer, larger files or allow some of them to background load.

There are a few additional tips that would help you here:
http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

There are also tools to help you identify what causes the slowness.

In this case I have a feeling that the front end code is 90%+ of the issue. If you want me to analyze your site further I can do but you should start off with the advice above and at the link.

Andy
06-11-2010, 15:05
No company can guarantee position 1, ever. It's a lot of work to do the entire campaign yourself especially if you've never done it before. Going with an SEO company is often easier if you really want the results.

Google update their algorithm about once or twice a year, you probably only came back onto the SERPs because of competition changing.

As I say, I can talk privately about what changes you can make, but not publicly.

LawsHosting
06-11-2010, 15:01
Problem with me is I like eye-candy with my web design - but as they say, less is more, eh....... I did link it to one of my other sites, site-wide (23k pages), so I guess G saw that as link spam!

The site reappeared today in the SERPS but on the 2nd page of 100 per page results, could've be an update of algorithm maybe.

I'm no SEO expert, but being quoted 3,500 a month for #1, you know, it makes you do your own research, well, for me it did

Andy
06-11-2010, 13:30
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Anyway, I admit the site uses a lot of:

1. jQuery stuff;
Yep, jQuery is bandwidth intensive. If you don't use certain functions you should remove them. The jQuery site allows you to only select the functions you need. You should remove any others. You should also host the scripts on your own website. This prevents any slow down from external URL's like Google.

2. Mostly external mysql calls (same network mind)
I doubt the latency will be that high but you should enable SQL caching and optimise any code you have. Also check your my.ini file is setup correctly for best performance.

3. and links (images) from other sites (some from same network).
Any images should be hosted on your own servers really. On my forum we have an image uploader that users are obliged to use for 2 reasons, the first being speed and the second being preservation. If the site is up, so is the image they posted and there is no risk of losing it.

So I understand this will no doubt affect speed in general.....
Yes and no, it all depends how you have it set up and how well optimised it is.

The site was ranked at 84, but today it vanished from Google search altogether for my keywords - still indexed but its no-where for my main keywords (busted a gut just to be in top 100!). If its not speed that has affected my keyword ranking, must be something else....... Was doing so well too.... Bummer.

Anyway, Off-Topic.
Getting rankings isn't easy (I'm an SEO programmer by the way). There is quite a lot involved both on the site itself and off the site. Speed isn't really that much of a factor of rankings, but it is a factor for sales. A slow site will not produce many sales as the visitor will get bored waiting.

I can help you with some SEO stuff via e-mail or MSN if you want, but as I am in the trade, I can't help you with some things because of my non-disclosure at work (trade secrets and all). But I will do what I can.

Thelen
06-11-2010, 05:59
We also have noticed a large number of complaints by our customers of slow speeds lately (mainly to US).

LawsHosting
06-11-2010, 00:21
Wow, I think OVH had a time-out.... everything was unresponsive for 10mins, and by looking at the status (when it came back), theres a lot of planned and in progress stuff......

Anyway, I admit the site uses a lot of:

1. jQuery stuff;
2. Mostly external mysql calls (same network mind)
3. and links (images) from other sites (some from same network).

So I understand this will no doubt affect speed in general.....

The site was ranked at 84, but today it vanished from Google search altogether for my keywords - still indexed but its no-where for my main keywords (busted a gut just to be in top 100!). If its not speed that has affected my keyword ranking, must be something else....... Was doing so well too.... Bummer.

Anyway, Off-Topic.

Andy
05-11-2010, 20:33
Remember that the graph is not done by Google's servers, but by people who visit your site and who have the Google toolbar. If those peoples connections on average are slow, it will reflect in the graph. It's not an accurate way of determining site speed, but it does make it more fair than Google using their multi-gigabit links rather than a standard speed connection real people would view your site on.

Don't worry about the speed too much, but if you really want to fix it, try looking into tools like Firefox addons YSlow and the Google Page Speed addon. They will help you determine some speed issues. Also try enabling gzip if it's not already enabled.

If you want I can help you over MSN or e-mail with the finer details of optimising the speed. I do this at work a lot so I should be able to provide you with plenty of help.

Heres mine:

LawsHosting
05-11-2010, 19:35
Sorry if this is off-topic.

I would like to ask if this could be a server (apache) or routing/network issue. I host my personal sites on the same servers as my clients, which are registered in Google's Webmaster Tools.

Heres my Google's Webmaster Tools' Site Performance for a site (one in my sig actually):

They display fast when you browse them via browser (personally anyway), there is no doubt about that. Yet, site performance tool says my site is slower than 59% of the sites. I tested the sites with a Site Speed site a few times, and it gave between 0.87 seconds to 12 seconds to fully load. This is why I suspect a routing/network issue.

Any ideas?

TIA.