OVH Community, your new community space.

The case Wikileaks

marks
06-04-2011, 17:38
the best answer would be the facts: we've been hosting this site for a while already, several months now, and it's been alright:

Code:
ovh@ovh01:~$ host wikileaks.ch
wikileaks.ch has address 178.33.255.46 <= OVH IP
wikileaks.ch has address 46.59.1.2
regardless of the buzz around this site, it was a the technical challenge to secure it that matters to OVH. We're a service provider and that's a good test of the capabilities of the infrastructure.

spid3r1987
06-04-2011, 16:32
Quote Originally Posted by Busby
My main fear is that if OVH are forced to take their server offline, will that mean massive DOS attacks against OVH, and of course, us?
just wondering but is it possible that if "people" find out that the infrastructure is OVH
could alot of people DOS attack it and put all our servers down??
is it possible for such a DOS attack to shut an entire DC??

zydron
20-12-2010, 11:50
If you mean with "by force" the judge, then it is done by the right people.

Busby
19-12-2010, 22:11
My main fear is that if OVH are forced to take their server offline, will that mean massive DOS attacks against OVH, and of course, us?

Semper
14-12-2010, 11:55
I also applaud OVH's stance and decision on this matter. It is important for a hosting company to stay neutral on these sort of issues. Clearly I'm not the only client of OVH that thinks so...

http://blog.operationreality.org/?p=1120

Let's see what develops out of this though, isn't the French government still building a case to push through the French courts in order to force OVH to take Wikileaks off its servers? Anyone know if this will set a precedent for OVH / hosting companies in Fr?

hashbangbinbash
07-12-2010, 13:01
What the wikileaks thing shows regarding the governments of the Arab states is that they are eager to crony round the global super bully that helps keep them in power, and are nervous that the Iranian system, as god-crazy and unhinged as it is, still represents far more of a democracy then the monarchist dictatorships they're in charge of. Iran is very popular with the Arab street. The Arab regimes don't like that.

hashbangbinbash
07-12-2010, 12:50
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
You don't find it reassuring to know that China knows that Kim Jong Il is bat-**** insane, and that most of the Middle East realises that a nuclear Iran would be a bad idea?
Talk of a Iran pursuing nuclear weapons is completely crass. Show me any evidence... until then, I'm beleiving the IAEA. The Americans should invent a different more mysterious reason to kick of the war they want to kick off with Iran, as every gram of uranium in Iran is too easily traced as legitimate as per the terms of their membership of the IAEA.

Razakel
06-12-2010, 10:57
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
I don't think you understand what Wikileaks released.

A lot of stuff that was said doesn't even have to do with the US. The leaks are things that China, Saudi and other countries on what they have said.

Yes there are some things that the USA has done in the leaks, but that is just the tip of the iceberg....
You don't find it reassuring to know that China knows that Kim Jong Il is bat-**** insane, and that most of the Middle East realises that a nuclear Iran would be a bad idea?

Speedy059
06-12-2010, 10:31
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
Its nice to see a change in genre on this forum once in a while, we're always talking about bits, bytes and bobs.

My opinion is (maybe you'll agree). If we're illegally (overseas) to 'liberate' foreign lands and to spread democracy. Then surely should the US not lead by example and actually uphold the very same system and laws they are trying to push down peoples throat?
I don't think you understand what Wikileaks released.

A lot of stuff that was said doesn't even have to do with the US. The leaks are things that China, Saudi and other countries on what they have said.

Yes there are some things that the USA has done in the leaks, but that is just the tip of the iceberg....

Iray
06-12-2010, 01:43
Its nice to see a change in genre on this forum once in a while, we're always talking about bits, bytes and bobs.

My opinion is (maybe you'll agree). If we're illegally (overseas) to 'liberate' foreign lands and to spread democracy. Then surely should the US not lead by example and actually uphold the very same system and laws they are trying to push down peoples throat?

zydron
06-12-2010, 00:15
I don't think that OVH will be blocked to be honest.
They are connected with more networks then only french ones.

They are connected with the biggest internet exchange in the world (AMS-IX) and other exchanges, so I think it will be fine.

Myatu
05-12-2010, 17:54
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Does Assange really look like a rapist to you?
Err... Grisly bears look cuddly and cute too, but they're not so pleasant when you try to hug them

That aside, I appreciate OVH's impartial stance and the fact they're seeking assistance from the French courts when unsure about its legality within France before it's too late (and by that I mean OVH's network becoming blocked, which would include my servers).

Loic
05-12-2010, 15:50
OVH will shutdown the hosting of Wikileaks in France only when a judge says so. It means that some people will have to officially complain, that is, write down the grounds why Wikileaks in infringing the law in France with exact pages on the website etc. Then there will be a trial with lawyers of both sides arguing, then, then, then... which means, it will take some time. I doubt that the "en référé" action will go through, this is not the normal way to go (but a wise move from OVH).

I am really really happy to have my servers with OVH, I ***** about the 99.95% uptime of the network when they can really do better, but here, I must say, I give Octave a high five.

The real problem is that the DNS providers are shutting down the wikileaks.* domains one after another without judgments, just based on political pressure. This is really a problem, because it means that practically, for most of the unternet users, content is not available anymore. We need the *.ovh top level domain with the same stance with respect to the law.

Razakel
05-12-2010, 15:44
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
I read somewhere he is here in the UK and scotland yard know his where abouts.

I am neither for nor against what he has done, I just think that he/they should be redacting things like peoples names etc in the documents though.
They are doing.

This is soooo one sided. How about we have Mr Assange leak some personal details about himself? How about he leaks who has donated to his website? How about he tells us which staff he has working for him?
Because those people aren't public servants being paid out of the public purse.

Why doesn't he disclose who gave him each and every source he has on the website?
Because that would put people in danger.

Why doesn't he tell us where he is hidding?
Because that would put him in danger.

Why doesn't he tell us the 100% truth on what happened in Sweden with those ladies?
Considering the charges have already gone from "rape" to "saying you'll use a condom and then not doing", I think this'll blow over fairly quickly. Does Assange really look like a rapist to you?

SOOOO Many questions that this guy wont reveal...his transparency is so one sided and wont give out any information unless its about other people.
He won't give out information unless there's a public interest to do so. Do you not think that the US government pressuring the German government not to press charges against CIA agents that kidnapped and held a completely innocent German citizen for several months should be public knowledge? I bloody well do.

That guy is full of crap if you ask me, he's so worried about his own life now and doesn't want people to know where he lives...but he'll reveal everything and anything about someone even if it puts their lives in danger.
If Wikileaks has put someone's life in danger, you should be able to name them. Considering the Pentagon can't name even one, forgive me for doubting that.

Also, if Wikileaks can get this stuff, what do you think foreign governments can get hold of?

derchris
05-12-2010, 15:31
Éric Besson, the Minister of Industry, Energy and Digital Economy in France, has declared war on WikiLeaks (article in French here).

Besson has asked CGIET (The General Council of Industry, Energy and Technology) to stop the site being hosted in France, as this violates secret diplomatic relations and endangers the people protected by those secrets.

wikileaks.ch is hosted in Sweden, but requests to this site are immediately redirected to http://213.251.145.96/. This IP address serves all of the WikiLeaks content, which is hosted by OVH in France. WikiLeaks has been allocated a range of 16 IP addresses at OVH, but may have to switch to an alternative hosting location if government action is instigated against OVH.

If the French hosting location is taken down, WikiLeaks can make wikileaks.ch redirect to a different IP address at the drop of a hat. Even if the Swedish hosting location (where the redirection takes place) is taken down, the DNS for wikileaks.ch has a TTL of only 10 minutes, allowing the domain to be pointed elsewhere promptly, should WikiLeaks have alternative hosting prepared.

I'm totally on the Wikileaks side, and if this is going forward, OVH removing content, then I see the "Freedom of Speech" in real danger.
Everyone has to understand they are only hosting the data. The data itself is coming from internals within the Governments.

YouWhat
05-12-2010, 11:17
I read somewhere he is here in the UK and scotland yard know his where abouts.

I am neither for nor against what he has done, I just think that he/they should be redacting things like peoples names etc in the documents though.

LawsHosting
05-12-2010, 10:44
All this 'Julian this, Julian that' everywhere is p***ing me off....... Its on TV, radio, etc.....
We all know governments are corrupt - just look at the war, 9/11, 7/7..... We don't need someone telling us.......

Speedy059
05-12-2010, 07:13
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
Wow. Not to attack you Speedy but your attitude reminds me of those voted and kept Bush in office.

These guys are only praticising the so called "Freedoms" you have with a democracy, such as Freedom of Information and Freedom of Speech.. And while they exercise them we see how they are treated!

Not only are they exposing the govnment of its dirty work (Cover up, lies).

It goes to show what our society really is! A bunch of hollow laws and a dictatorship.
This is soooo one sided. How about we have Mr Assange leak some personal details about himself? How about he leaks who has donated to his website? How about he tells us which staff he has working for him? Why doesn't he disclose who gave him each and every source he has on the website? Why doesn't he tell us where he is hidding? Why doesn't he tell us the 100% truth on what happened in Sweden with those ladies? SOOOO Many questions that this guy wont reveal...his transparency is so one sided and wont give out any information unless its about other people.

That guy is full of crap if you ask me, he's so worried about his own life now and doesn't want people to know where he lives...but he'll reveal everything and anything about someone even if it puts their lives in danger.

Razakel
05-12-2010, 03:52
They're now asking for mirrors:
http://85.88.21.139/mass-mirror.html

Looks like there's hundreds already:
http://savewikileaks.net/another-wikileaks-address/

zydron
04-12-2010, 18:58
Only my post survived it seems (speedy' thread)

Neil
04-12-2010, 14:19
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Hmmm, I see that OVH is censoring the Wikileaks posts as my thread was deleted.
That was a mistake, when you merge two threads and delete the first post it deletes the whole thread

Sorry

Winit
04-12-2010, 13:26
Hmmm, I see that OVH is censoring the Wikileaks posts as my thread was deleted.

zydron
04-12-2010, 10:58
@speedy,

OVH isn't a political group, and doesn't have a corporate opinion about WikiLeaks, and doesn't have a relation ship with WikiLeaks in the first place!

A client of OVH is renting the server for WikiLeaks, which means that OVH isn't the hoster (what Octave said).
Only providing infrastructure.

From what I see from their IP, they are placed in Paris.

and, don't believe the media, they mostly blow things up just for more viewers!
(and pre-judging things, like fox did)

zydron
04-12-2010, 10:43
I hope the judge says that the site is LEGAL.
With that, WikiLeaks can defend herself and OVH too, when they get presurised from the governemend.

WikiLeaks isn't imho a terrorist group, but a website who publish things which doesn't need to be private (governemend secrets).

WikiLeaks has published something about the Netherlands, it was a public secret but never confirmed or denied by the governemend, that we have some american nucliar weapons (which are overdue).
Now the second chamber is asking the minister, because it is confirmed via WikiLeaks from the american governemend.

Loic
04-12-2010, 10:28
I am very happy to read that OVH is simply following the law. Just the law. In fact, following the French rules they did not had to ask for a judge to directly take care of the issue. It is a very wise move, but not a necessity. Officially, in France, as a technical provider, OVH must shut down a website only after a trial. As for Indefero I am also a technical provider, I am very very happy that OVH applies the law and do not follow a "we *think* it is not good, we stop" policy. Because we all have different ideas and as long as we follow the law, we must be able to express them.

olliegooch
04-12-2010, 02:08
"In a free society, we are supposed to know the truth. In a society where truth becomes treason, we are in big trouble"

https://twitter.com/repronpaul/status/10716266021003264

Iray
04-12-2010, 02:03
It does not get better then this does it. I thought these types of smear tactics / campaigns only existed in the Hollywood world.

Razakel
04-12-2010, 01:08
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
What the hell is sex-by-surprise!?
It's apparantly an obscure Swedish law that has something to do with not wearing a condom.

http://gizmodo.com/5705430/wikileaks...s-not-a-rapist

From AOL News:

True, one of Assange's accusers sounds tailor-made for those who think Assange is being set up in Sweden by dark CIA-backed operatives who want him smeared or silenced for his document dumping with WikiLeaks. She's a 31-year-old blond academic and member of the Social Democratic Party who's known for her radical feminist views, once wrote a treatise on how to take revenge against men and was once thrown out of Cuba for subversive activities.

In fact, the current prosecutor, Marianne Ny, who re-opened the case against Assange, has been active in the proposed reforms of Swedish rape laws that would, if passed, involve an investigation of whether an imbalance in power between two people could void one person's insistence that the sex was consensual.

jonlewi5
04-12-2010, 00:59
What the hell is sex-by-surprise!?

Razakel
04-12-2010, 00:45
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
I would like to know what makes OVH better than their (wikileaks) previous hosts. I see "the server is protected" in Oles's News thread - so does this mean the other host server's weren't?

NB. The owner might be arrested in England now - just gets better and better.
Assange isn't actually under investigation for rape, he's under investigation for "sex by surprise".

Yes, you read that right. Sex by surprise. I'm not sure what that actually is, either.

Assange's London attorney, Mark Stephens, told AOL News today that Swedish prosecutors told him that Assange is wanted not for allegations of rape, as previously reported, but for something called "sex by surprise," which he said involves a fine of 5,000 kronor or about $715.
http://www.aolnews.com/world/article...probe/19741444

Razakel
04-12-2010, 00:42
Great, so even though that dumb website puts people's lives on the line...it's ok for you guys to provide services? Do you guys plan on allowing Al-Qaeda websites any time soon?
Name one person who's died as a result of Wikileaks. Just one single person.

Considering the Pentagon hasn't been able to, forgive me for doubting that argument.

Iray
03-12-2010, 23:46
Great, so even though that dumb website puts people's lives on the line...it's ok for you guys to provide services? Do you guys plan on allowing Al-Qaeda websites any time soon?
???... I don't see them promoting terrorism on their website

LawsHosting
03-12-2010, 23:39
I would like to know what makes OVH better than their (wikileaks) previous hosts. I see "the server is protected" in Oles's News thread - so does this mean the other host server's weren't?

NB. The owner might be arrested in England now - just gets better and better.

Iray
03-12-2010, 23:34
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
I think Wikileaks is great. This quote from reddit sums up the situation:
Wow. Not to attack you Speedy but your attitude reminds me of those voted and kept Bush in office.

These guys are only praticising the so called "Freedoms" you have with a democracy, such as Freedom of Information and Freedom of Speech.. And while they exercise them we see how they are treated!

Not only are they exposing the govnment of its dirty work (Cover up, lies).

It goes to show what our society really is! A bunch of hollow laws and a dictatorship.

DigitalDaz
03-12-2010, 23:32
I'm sure a lot of us have quite a different take on Wikileaks and thats probably why OVH are not acting as judge and jury unlike you and thats why they are taking the stance that they are.

Having said that, I hope its not in the same rack as any of my PBXs

Speedy059
03-12-2010, 23:31
There are some things that should be kept secret. Governments can't be 100% transparent with other government simply because they don't agree on everything and don't have such nice things to say. Everyone has talked/thought badly of their friends at one point, and isn't right to make everything public...especially when people's lives are at stake.

That quote is completely irrelevant to what is going on and what Wikileaks is doing. They are like a silent party of Al-Qaeda, trying to accomplish the same thing. North Korea is already crazy as-is, last thing they need to know is that China doesn't give a rats @## about them.

unclebob
03-12-2010, 23:25
I think Wikileaks is great. This quote from reddit sums up the situation:

Please hand over your ID, walk through this scanner, let us put your private detail in all kinds of databases, track your movements, track your payments, and let us treat you like a terrorist.

Because if you did nothing wrong, what's to fear?

Unless you are the government, of course. Then transparency is evil.

unclebob
03-12-2010, 23:22
Too much Fox News, my friend...

Speedy059
03-12-2010, 23:15

Speedy059
03-12-2010, 23:13
Why is OVH hosting Wikileaks

Wikileaks is just an organization that likes to expose people's mistakes and put their lives in jeopardy. Those wikileaks are going to cause a lot of contention among countries since it has a lot of information of what countries have said about each other...

Andy.
03-12-2010, 22:22
hum, what happened to the original thread and users replies?
Is OVH haxed?

Neil
03-12-2010, 20:57
Hello,

As you know, the wikileaks site is hosted on our infrastructure since early yesterday morning. This is a customer who has ordered a dedicated server, with RIPE blocks and protections against attacks. His bill paid by credit card is less than €150. And so it hosts the Wikileaks website. Legally speaking OVH is not the host of this site. OVH is just the provider of the technical solution that the customer has ordered

In short, the story is banal and everyday. The system is fully automatic and works 24/7. Like you, we discovered yesterday that this site is hosted ... in the press.

OVH is neither for nor against this site. The question is off topic for us. OVH is a company that provides infrastructure, the famous cloud available in a few hours ... and our role is to ensure that technical service. That's it. We were not asked to host this site and do not host it. Now he's with us we provide the contract. It's our job. It is functional.

Given recent political statements, and pressures that are starting to feel, even here in Roubaix Valley, we have decided to go to court for a ruling on the legality of this site in French territory. This is not world politics or OVH request or decide to close or not a site, but justice. The way it should work in a country of law.

We hope the judge will give his decision before tonight or tomorrow. And OVH will implement the decision immediately.

All the best,
Octave