OVH Community, your new community space.

adding fail over ip windows

Andy
19-06-2008, 00:09
Quote Originally Posted by OVH.Customer
Can somebody explain to me what IP fail over is.
In as few words as possible:

Its a second IP.

As a better explanation:

Its different in the way that it can be transferred between servers in seconds. If your server fails and you have a second server, instead of moving all the domains over to the server, you move the IP. It requires no dns updates and you can be back online in seconds (providing you have a copy of the data on the second server of course).

OVH.Customer
19-06-2008, 00:07
Can somebody explain to me what IP fail over is.

Andy
18-06-2008, 17:26
Quote Originally Posted by iand
thanks andy worked a treat now to try find out how i can get it workin with windows firewall got 30 day trial of 8signs so i suppose that gives me a month to find out
I'm using the windows firewall now but I can't remember how I made it work with the fail over IP with it turned on, I just know it does, lol.

iand
18-06-2008, 17:25
thanks andy worked a treat now to try find out how i can get it workin with windows firewall got 30 day trial of 8signs so i suppose that gives me a month to find out

Andy
18-06-2008, 11:01
Quote Originally Posted by iand
hi been trying to add my failover ip to my server i folloewed the guide on ovh help page and still not working unpingable is they anything else i need do apart from whats included in the guide
The firewall on the main IP, disable it and try pinging again. I had the same issue but can't remember how I fixed it, but it was the firewall causing the issue.

iand
18-06-2008, 08:32
hi been trying to add my failover ip to my server i folloewed the guide on ovh help page and still not working unpingable is they anything else i need do apart from whats included in the guide