OVH Community, your new community space.

Strange random reboots

gerhard
10-02-2011, 13:56
Thanks for chipping in Thelen. Finally, a customer with real experience. Your reputation precedes you : ).

The disks were running fairly hot when I had those random reboots, they were averaging 45C-46C. The engineer couldn't find anything wrong with the server, but since his investigation, the disks are now a cool 35C & 39C respectively, doing even more work than they used to.

Thelen
10-02-2011, 11:50
Heat is probably the cause. I've dealt with 2 pairs of servers (both in the same rack) that had this problem, very annoying.

gerhard
31-01-2011, 23:07
OK, will open a ticket with snips from the log. Has been going on for weeks now, last week it happened 3 times in 4 days.

marks
31-01-2011, 16:27
Quote Originally Posted by gerhard
I have the same problem with 2 servers from the EG AMD line. Can I request a PSU replacement?
unless there is a reason for it, no.

You can show the logs for what it seems to be a faulty power supply (several random reboots for example) and open a ticket with it.

gerhard
31-01-2011, 15:04
I have the same problem with 2 servers from the EG AMD line. Can I request a PSU replacement?

TDG
10-01-2011, 23:37
Quote Originally Posted by fozl
What's the ticket number?
Not to worry, finally got around to get the PSU replaced! Thanks anyway fozl

We'll see how we go... hopefully it stays up!

fozl
07-01-2011, 15:05
Quote Originally Posted by TDG
Losing the will to live with this one, along with the will to stay with OVH, think I'll start looking at other providers now...

My ticket went round and round and round, then my machine went down for 2 hours, so I closed that ticket and opened a new one (I set critical priority but got "normal"?!)...

My machine is back up now, but I just got a response from OVH in Polish(?!) telling me to open my firewall for their monitoring

Any recommendations whilst I look for a new provider?
What's the ticket number?

TDG
07-01-2011, 14:38
Losing the will to live with this one, along with the will to stay with OVH, think I'll start looking at other providers now...

My ticket went round and round and round, then my machine went down for 2 hours, so I closed that ticket and opened a new one (I set critical priority but got "normal"?!)...

My machine is back up now, but I just got a response from OVH in Polish(?!) telling me to open my firewall for their monitoring

Any recommendations whilst I look for a new provider?

Thelen
27-12-2010, 10:15
Old news, I've had 4-5 (half the Gbit servers at that time) crash every few days for a couple months with no reason :S

fozl
21-12-2010, 09:58
Mine is RBX-2 I'm afraid, room 22/S02 rack C13

Thanks Fozl, I raised a ticket a few days ago but it doesn't look like they even checked, they just asked me to install the SSH key so they could look at my server, which I am not willing to do as there is a lot of personal data on the server. Any advice on how best I can take the ticket forward? I know there was no software fault and no obvious hardware fault (nothing in logs at least, it's still very possible there is a hardware fault obviously, especially with a PSU, just nothing that logging in could diagnose).

Should I just tell them that the server appeared to lose power and suspect an issue with the power supply? If it needs replaced, can I schedule when they will do this (never done this before - with OVH that is, I used to work in a datacenter myself)
Yes, open a ticket describing what you think is a power failure. the techs wont go snooping through your files but if it would make you more comfortable why don't you just use encryption or move the sensitive stuff elsewhere until the problems been fixed? Might not be necessary to log in to fix but the techs like to check things before arranging an intervention.

TDG
20-12-2010, 19:30
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
yes and i just spent 8 hours getting the files i lost back and it happened again!
This is pissing me off, your server in rbx3?
Also on another note, im going to kill myself if it happens again.
Mine is RBX-2 I'm afraid, room 22/S02 rack C13

Quote Originally Posted by fozl
Yes, nothing in our logs is why you should open a ticket. If you ask us why the server was rebooted at such and such a time, we can only tell you that the server was not in fact rebooted by us as there's nothing in our logs. It's at that point that you open a ticket saying how the server lost power, wasn't you, wasn't us, suspect issue with power supply, and so on.
Thanks Fozl, I raised a ticket a few days ago but it doesn't look like they even checked, they just asked me to install the SSH key so they could look at my server, which I am not willing to do as there is a lot of personal data on the server. Any advice on how best I can take the ticket forward? I know there was no software fault and no obvious hardware fault (nothing in logs at least, it's still very possible there is a hardware fault obviously, especially with a PSU, just nothing that logging in could diagnose).

Should I just tell them that the server appeared to lose power and suspect an issue with the power supply? If it needs replaced, can I schedule when they will do this (never done this before - with OVH that is, I used to work in a datacenter myself)

fozl
20-12-2010, 18:25
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
I've had this occur as well with support being absolutely non-helpful with responses like "nothing in our logs".
Yes, nothing in our logs is why you should open a ticket. If you ask us why the server was rebooted at such and such a time, we can only tell you that the server was not in fact rebooted by us as there's nothing in our logs. It's at that point that you open a ticket saying how the server lost power, wasn't you, wasn't us, suspect issue with power supply, and so on.

fozl
20-12-2010, 18:23
Quote Originally Posted by Bryce@ens-ltd
yes and i just spent 8 hours getting the files i lost back and it happened again!
Please don't kill yourself, instead open a ticket, and then we can investigate and swap out any dodgy psu's etc.

HandsomeChap
20-12-2010, 15:53
Perhaps you should all list your physical server locations (EG rbx2 rack 10) maybe there is a correlation

glidewave
20-12-2010, 14:31
I've had this occur as well with support being absolutely non-helpful with responses like "nothing in our logs".

Bryce@ens-ltd
20-12-2010, 05:04
My server has logged several reboots recently (not normal soft reboots, but hard reboots). I can see no sign of any hardware faults, it looks like the power has just gone and come back several times (all times below are London/GMT)

reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 22:50
reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 20:47
reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 09:43
reboot ~ Sun Dec 12 05:38
reboot ~ Sat Dec 11 17:58

Anyone else experience similar random reboots? What's going on?

TDG
20-12-2010, 02:20
My server has logged several reboots recently (not normal soft reboots, but hard reboots). I can see no sign of any hardware faults, it looks like the power has just gone and come back several times (all times below are London/GMT)

reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 22:50
reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 20:47
reboot ~ Tue Dec 14 09:43
reboot ~ Sun Dec 12 05:38
reboot ~ Sat Dec 11 17:58

Anyone else experience similar random reboots? What's going on?