OVH Community, your new community space.

Your backup solutions

Andy
18-01-2011, 18:37
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
Is Self-Recommendation aloud around here?
There is no rule against it.

LawsHosting
18-01-2011, 18:17
Quote Originally Posted by BigMAC
You mean, we can't plug our services in signatures?

BigMAC
18-01-2011, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeChap
Hi guys if anyone wants some FTP/Rsync backup space I have recently setup a small backup service to compliment selling hosting/VPS, I went for the sp10r in raid5, so contact me if you want some space, I'll sell it for cost price, so long as you dont require support :P

HandsomeChap
08-01-2011, 21:29
Hi guys if anyone wants some FTP/Rsync backup space I have recently setup a small backup service to compliment selling hosting/VPS, I went for the sp10r in raid5, so contact me if you want some space, I'll sell it for cost price, so long as you dont require support :P

ictdude
08-01-2011, 01:41
I use a Kimsufi Q-1T for backups. Has no raid. But the original data is on the
original server to. So like a mirror. I always have a copy of my vm's on this machine.

I use rsync to make backups from one to the other server. If server one goes down,
the Kimsufi Q-1T then acts as a backup and backupserver. Until server one is ready again. Like today ... server one did had a power defect. And i did know this because i also use OVH SMS for monitoring . Nice pre-paid service of OVH !!!!

I just restored some vm's routed the IP adress to the Kimsufi Q-1T. Just that simple. And today i was happy i had this plan standby ...

BigMAC
08-01-2011, 00:12
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
I've been using the free 100gb ftp storages but they're nearing the full amounts.

Just thought I'd ask the other recommended (low cost) solutions were, what do you use etc.
Check this out - http://www.ftpoffsite.com/

and Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to you aswell Peter

yonatan
05-01-2011, 18:11
I agree with Andy, the fees persuade me not to get them - I can't see how OVH can actually sell these drives?
Maybe everyone was ordering too many on the old contracts and OVH couldn't keep up supplies.
i think the idea behind this is intended for users who actually use them for backups ( usualy companies spare no expences when it comes to backups ) , not for seedbox kiddos who buy a celeron and add the disk for thier stupid bandwidth hogging applications....

LawsHosting
04-01-2011, 19:28
I agree with Andy, the fees persuade me not to get them - I can't see how OVH can actually sell these drives?
Maybe everyone was ordering too many on the old contracts and OVH couldn't keep up supplies.

Andy
04-01-2011, 12:22
They do exist, but there is a setup fee, monthly fee AND you have to have professional usage option to use them. Quite frankly that's far too expensive in my eyes when the disks cost no more than £50.

freshwire
04-01-2011, 12:22
I just backup to my local server but I don't have huge data requirements (< 5GB) and can using incremental updates.

Neil
04-01-2011, 10:56
You mean from OVH? Sorry, I'm not paying p/m for a 500GB one. I remember with the very old contracts you bought them outright.
If I send a 1TB USB drive to OVH, will they accept it for my server(s)? :P

No, due to legal and liability issues we cannot accept USB Drives from outside.

Actually, do the USB drives still exist, I reread the sites and can not see them being offered?
Yes, we do offer USB drives again and are on the website.

LawsHosting
04-01-2011, 10:05
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
you can also take a USB disk that's the fastest backup you can have.
You mean from OVH? Sorry, I'm not paying p/m for a 500GB one. I remember with the very old contracts you bought them outright.
If I send a 1TB USB drive to OVH, will they accept it for my server(s)? :P

Actually, do the USB drives still exist, I reread the sites and can not see them being offered?

yonatan
03-01-2011, 19:54
SP storage is a great backup server.

you can also take a USB disk that's the fastest backup you can have.

LawsHosting
03-01-2011, 19:16
Megabytes....

I had to fix up another router in the end.... The clicks got regular, like a blooming car indicator, was driving (pun intended) me dolally.

Andy
03-01-2011, 15:42
1.3Mb/s or 1.3MB/s? 1.3MB/s should be plenty fast enough.

LawsHosting
03-01-2011, 14:27
Also backed up to my home server initially, thing is, my d/l is only 1.3Mb/s so I started to use OVH's FTP ones for faster response times, not to mention the free internal bandwidth....

Suppose I could revert back if my router holds up, its clicking like mad, not a good sign, its so old, soon to be a fossil!

Andy
03-01-2011, 14:12
I backup to home, but for most that's not feasible.

You could get one of the storage servers with 6TB of disks, or wait until the SAN's come to UK customers.

LawsHosting
03-01-2011, 10:26
I've been using the free 100gb ftp storages but they're nearing the full amounts.

Just thought I'd ask the other recommended (low cost) solutions were, what do you use etc.

TIA

and Happy New Year.