OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS - fiddling with the OSes

zydron
04-01-2011, 23:15
You are late with realizing that :P

OVH Netherlands exists more then 2 years now (allmost 2 years in business)

andmed
04-01-2011, 15:41
... And yes. I have got cell number in the Netherlads, but there is no Netherlands in the OVH list. They let Belgium, Luxemburg and Switzerland, but no Netherlands.... What a !
Are they racists or smth ? ))

update - I have made a call and even found someone who speaks English. The answer was easy - I should go www.ovh.nl )))

Still interested in fstab entries though...

andmed
04-01-2011, 15:28
One more thing. Storage as a network device -- how it is shown exactly in /dev ?
(Can you post your /etc/fstab here, please ?)

Thanks!

andmed
04-01-2011, 15:06
Thanks, pals, for the answers!!

Andy
04-01-2011, 13:21
1) Nope, you can install any OS you like
2) It's free and done through the control panel with an automated system
3) As far as I know you can only purchase from an accepted country that you have a phone number in. The easiest way would be to find someone you know in an accepted country, or get a P&G mobile number from that country.

freshwire
04-01-2011, 13:20
If you can install it (and it's legal to do so) then you are fine to install your own OS. The RPS has slow (network) disk compared to a normal server so installing (and even booting) any new OS will be slow. You can also install your own OS on dedicated servers if you have the knowledge to do so.

Re-install of the original OS is available in the control panel. It is automated.

Do note that support staff will not be able to help you install the OS of your choice.

If you do not live in a country that OVH provides services to then you will need to contact an unofficial reseller. They will effectively order the server/rps for you for some small fee.

andmed
04-01-2011, 12:12
1) RPS is a "bare metal" system, as different frov various virtualization systems, right? So, there would be no techical problems with remote ssh-installation of the other OSes (if one knows how to do it). But would not it be against OVH's policy or smth? I wonder why, for example, OVH do not provide other OSes themselves, for example, BSD-based, if RPS is really a "bare metall" system???

2) Is clean reinstall of initial OS costs additional money? Can I do it myself through my control panel?

3) I want RPS for legitimate perposes, but I do not leave in the EU. On the website I am asked for localcell phone number. What should I enter?