OVH Community, your new community space.

NAS-HA storage: evolution

bago
19-01-2011, 18:41
OK, french website has been updated. So the offers are real :-)
The 300GB is on 2 disks and not 4 like this post said (as expected).

Performance are good, expecially random read/write (much better than local raid1 on kimsufi, EG and MG).

I have some fear about the "shared" personality of this service, maybe what I benchmark today is 10 times higher than what I will have tomorrow... who knows.

BTW I think I will try it!

bago
17-01-2011, 10:53
BTW, still no updates here or on the french website.

I can confirm that the performance are not predictable on 300GB-HA, e.g: on a 4GB file (in a 2GB VM) I obtain between 31 and 61 MB/s for sequential writes. So this make me thinks either this is due to network congestion or the hdd are not "private" but partitions of a shared array so benchmark depends on who else uses them too.

It would be cool to have some more detail, but I guess OVH is having issues with the new offers, expecially wrt the fact that oles table has errors and they have not been fixed/updated yet. e.g:

- the number of disks for 300GB is 2 and not 4
- the hourly price for the 1.2TB is wrong.
- the number of disks or the disk sizes for the 7.2 and the 43.2 TB offers are clearly wrong.

Just do the math.

So, given the number of errors in the post I guess this is just a post to see how customers would react to a change in the offer and not something ready to go in production: I can't believe something ready to be marked "tomorrow" is so badly defined.

I won't be surprised if there won't be any change or if it will be substantially different from what's written in the first post. Hope I'm wrong.

bago
14-01-2011, 17:06
They are the old offers. Look at the prices for the new offers. Don't know if the non-HA versions will remain or not.

In that case the ReadyToUse and Performance reasons are there compared to the Kimsufi solution. Also the non-HA have anyway 99.9% availability. Kimsufi do not have availability sla (99% on the network side).

olliegooch
14-01-2011, 16:55
Quote Originally Posted by bago
HA: NAS-HA has HA (high availability). You need at least 2 kimsufi to obtain similar reliability.

Performance: from my measurement the NAS-HA is much faster than the kimsufi disks (i7-2T).

ReadyToUse: You can create your own NAS with a couple of Kimsufi and some cluster setup, but there is no "out of the box" solution. The NAS-HA is much easier.
The £49.99 option isnt "HA" it is simply a NAS solution. I agree that HA would be harder to acheiver for a similar price, but this isnt the case at the £49.99 price point.

bago
14-01-2011, 15:55
HA: NAS-HA has HA (high availability). You need at least 2 kimsufi to obtain similar reliability.

Performance: from my measurement the NAS-HA is much faster than the kimsufi disks (i7-2T).

ReadyToUse: You can create your own NAS with a couple of Kimsufi and some cluster setup, but there is no "out of the box" solution. The NAS-HA is much easier.

olliegooch
14-01-2011, 14:55
Anyone else confused by the fact that for the same price as 1tb of "NAS" you can rent a kimsufi backup server that has 2tb of space and is dedicated?

marks
14-01-2011, 11:28
keep an eye on the french website for the updates:

http://www.ovh.com/fr/nas/

it hasn't been launched yet outisde France, but it should be coming soon

bago
14-01-2011, 09:08
the "tomorrow" from 3 days ago should be here, but no website updates.

It would be cool if we get updates and not just lonely oles announcements :-)

bago
12-01-2011, 18:36
It seems the hourly cost for the 1.2TB version is not correct.

please explain: the 300GB is RAID1 over RAID1 ? So each byte have 4 copies (in 4 different phisical disks?)

oles@ovh.net
11-01-2011, 17:56
Hello,

Following the work on HA storage for the pCC, we have not questioned the technological choices we made initially. In practice the system works better than expected and we can go further

Consequently:

- the price of NAS-HA decreases ... almost 3x !
- we have offered the evolutionary storage evolution if up to 43TB !

This therefore gives the NAS-HA

- 300GB (composed of 4 disks)
- RAID-1 by RAID-1 (2x300GB) SAS 10000tr/min is £0.19 ex. VAT/hour or £69 ex. VAT/month

- 1.2TB (composed of 8 disks)
- RAID-10 by 4xRAID-1 (2x300GB) SAS 10000tr/min is £0.25 ex. VAT/hour or £299 ex. VAT/month

- 7.2TB (composed of 32 disks)
- RAID-10 by 16xRAID-1 (2x600GB) SAS 10000tr/min £2.43 ex. VAT/hour or £999 ex. VAT/month

- 43.2TB (composed of 96 disks)
- RAID-10 by 48xRAID-1 (2x600GB) SAS 10000tr/min £7.29 ex. VAT/hour or £2999 ex. VAT/month

The NAS-HA is connected to the network through 10G. It is totally redundant and OVH guarantees 100% availability. The SAS bandwidth is 1.5Gbps for 24 discs. Thus the system of 43.2TB has an SAS capacity of 9Gbps with a 10Gbps network connection.

No changes on miniNAS or NAS.

The site will be updated tomorrow. Existing customers will benefit from the price adjustment for the subsequent months.

All the best,
Octave