OVH Community, your new community space.

canceling server

Murph
20-06-2008, 15:57
Quote Originally Posted by iand
its got to be ovh network or port blockin as i have a server in another dc exact same setup that installs it fine i can setup and installl on local pc fine

the software i was trying to use was chatspace basic whats weird its it will download the chatspace setup from there site but not the msde but that could be diffrent location its either one ovh network or two portblocking im layin my bets on
Well, I still say there are too many variables in what you describe to reliably point the finger at the OVH network.

Assuming that MSDE is the MS "desktop"/"express" SQL server, it could easily be that the Akamai DNS behind download.microsoft.com is dodgy again - I have seen that a few times over the years, sometimes caused by security-concious DNS forwarders rejecting invalid configuration by MS/Akamai (never did pin it down to which one created the error - never really cared, TBH). Due to the way Akamai works, you can never normally be 100% sure which of many servers you are hitting, so it's quite possible for a URL to work from one location, and not from another, but not really be the fault of the location where it fails. You could try downloading and installing MSDE manually:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/edition...s/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf.../prodinfo.mspx

Also, a quick Google suggests that there might be an IRC element to Chatspace - you will need to enable the default IRC port, 6667, in the OVH manager, if you need that, although you should read the OVH terms and conditions, as I seem to remember that there are some additional restrictions on IRC usage.

iand
20-06-2008, 15:02
Quote Originally Posted by Murph
From your description, I'd say it's about 33/33/33 whether the problem is on your server, on the OVH network, or somewhere else (eg faulty application or problem on or reaching the application download site). If you can provide some details, such as the OS you are running on your server, the name of the application, where it's failing in the installation, and any error messages, someone on here might be able to help you.

I'm with Andy on the network filtering / port blocking - I don't believe that OVH are blocking anything other than 6667 and specific hosts which have been clearly targetting abuse at the network.

its got to be ovh network or port blockin as i have a server in another dc exact same setup that installs it fine i can setup and installl on local pc fine

the software i was trying to use was chatspace basic whats weird its it will download the chatspace setup from there site but not the msde but that could be diffrent location its either one ovh network or two portblocking im layin my bets on

Murph
20-06-2008, 14:32
im not sure of the actual port thats been blocked but its a piece of software im trying to install when it tries to download the msde installer that it relys on it cannot for network issue if downloaded same software on my home test server and its fine i downloaded it from within other dcs and its fine tried without any firewall still same so it is something on ovhs network thats blocking it
From your description, I'd say it's about 33/33/33 whether the problem is on your server, on the OVH network, or somewhere else (eg faulty application or problem on or reaching the application download site). If you can provide some details, such as the OS you are running on your server, the name of the application, where it's failing in the installation, and any error messages, someone on here might be able to help you.

I'm with Andy on the network filtering / port blocking - I don't believe that OVH are blocking anything other than 6667 and specific hosts which have been clearly targetting abuse at the network.

Andy
20-06-2008, 13:53
im not sure of the actual port thats been blocked but its a piece of software im trying to install when it tries to download the msde installer that it relys on it cannot for network issue if downloaded same software on my home test server and its fine i downloaded it from within other dcs and its fine tried without any firewall still same so it is something on ovhs network thats blocking it
The only port OVH block is 6667, for IRC, which can be unblocked in the manager. No other ports are blocked.

iand
20-06-2008, 13:48

Murph
20-06-2008, 11:56
hi i was wondering is they any other way to cancel server other then printing off the pdf form as i currently have no printer i no longer in need of the server as im unable to use the software this server was purchased for due to the network port blocking addopted by ovh i did try contact support to get this rectified but they seemed a little clueless
What ports are you seeing as being blocked? I've not seen any statement from OVH saying that anything other than clear attacks are being blocked, and I'm sure I'm not the only customer that would like to know if any additional ports are being blocked, and would have significant concerns about such a change.

Andy
20-06-2008, 11:39
Just do not renew it and let it expire. There is no need to go through the cancel process. After your renewal period is up, it will be removed from service.

iand
20-06-2008, 11:17
hi i was wondering is they any other way to cancel server other then printing off the pdf form as i currently have no printer i no longer in need of the server as im unable to use the software this server was purchased for due to the network port blocking addopted by ovh i did try contact support to get this rectified but they seemed a little clueless