OVH Community, your new community space.

ftpback-rbx2-103.ovh.net Failling ?

Neil
18-02-2011, 16:41
Hi

The robot scans for filename, extensions and file sizes. We do not want our FTP Servers overloaded with copyright material and restricted bandwidth (as seen in the past http://forum.ovh.co.uk/search.php?searchid=85444') when there are legitimate customers that want to use them for real backups.

So hopefully it now makes sense, they are there to backup your personal data.

Winit
17-02-2011, 19:53
OVH decision thus it does not make sense.

Andy
17-02-2011, 19:32
Thing is the FTP's can only be accessed by an OVH server, so unless they tunnelled it through an OVH server nobody else can access it anyway.

Myatu
17-02-2011, 19:25
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Exactly, and what if I own the copyright to said restricted file. What gives you the right to slow my speeds down? You might be the host but it's not up to OVH to decide what is legal or not.
That I agree on as well, however its a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation though. OVH is taking the "cover our a$$es" approach, before they receive a solicitor's notice or are listed on some "top 10 illegal file sharing providers" list. With 90k servers humming away, false positives are bound to happen in that case.

Andy
17-02-2011, 18:18
Exactly, and what if I own the copyright to said restricted file. What gives you the right to slow my speeds down? You might be the host but it's not up to OVH to decide what is legal or not.

PhonicUK
17-02-2011, 18:17
How is it decided what is and isn't copyrighted content? Seems like just looking at the file extension would be too prone to false-positives and too easy to circumvent.

Neil
17-02-2011, 16:14
Quote Originally Posted by sircolin
Yes i have to agree with andy it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.
There was a notice on the ftp server however if a backup is automated we are not aware until it's too late.
Hi

Yes there should be a message when you login on the FTP Server, I will see if it posssible for us to send an email as well when it is limited.

sircolin
17-02-2011, 13:02
Yes i have to agree with andy it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.
There was a notice on the ftp server however if a backup is automated we are not aware until it's too late.

Andy
17-02-2011, 12:00
It would be nice if you e-mailed said customer to tell them that their FTP account has been limited...

Neil
17-02-2011, 09:38
Quote Originally Posted by sircolin
Thanks for your reply

I uploaded a openvz machine in tar format which had a copy of a dvd in.

I won't make that mistake again hopefully

Col
Our robots do scan for file names that look like copyrighted material being hosted on FTP Backup , if they are then we do limit the FTP Connection until you remove them.

sircolin
17-02-2011, 03:33
Thanks for your reply

I uploaded a openvz machine in tar format which had a copy of a dvd in.

I won't make that mistake again hopefully

Col

raxxeh
15-02-2011, 09:04
did you upload any files with the extensions of .mp3, .avi, .mkv?

if you did, they've capped the speed to make FTP useless for you, when it happened to me, it was capped to 1kB/s.

sircolin
13-02-2011, 21:54
I doubt it!
it will take me 48 hrs to submit a ticket, il send an email in the morning thanks for you reply :-)

Andy
13-02-2011, 21:17
Sounds like a general failure. Submit a ticket/e-mail customer support. Someone should reply tomorrow.

sircolin
13-02-2011, 20:00
anyone else getting problems with ftpback-rbx2-103.ovh.net

Im getting 16.5Kb down got over 90gb to pull off !