OVH Community, your new community space.

physical server monitoring tools

IainK
09-07-2008, 18:29
Firstly, MRTG is not 'for Windows'. If you are looking for something simple do not consider MRTG for Windows. It not only requires installing Perl, but manually configuring it.
PRTG, as Andy says, is a really top program for Windows servers - and it's very easy to use. Anything open source will not be half as easy to use and will require configuration by file most of the time.

dotwaffle
09-07-2008, 14:48
I do like the OVH VMS, any chance this is open source?

Would be quite nice to monitor servers at home/the office... =)

Murph
24-06-2008, 13:18
Quote Originally Posted by raidensnake
I only see 3 results here. i did try looking for a windows based one but nothing come up.
That's very weird - I get 2.57 million results Googling "MRTG". There is only 1 MRTG, and it runs on Unix, Linux, MacOS, Windows, VMS, OS/2, NetWare, and DOS. It's, unsurprisingly, the 1st hit when I search for it on Google - http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/.

raidensnake
24-06-2008, 13:11
I only see 3 results here. i did try looking for a windows based one but nothing come up.

Murph
24-06-2008, 13:07
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MRTG&btnG=Search

raidensnake
24-06-2008, 12:56
sorry for the double post but I've tried looking for this MRTG but nothing is coming up at all. I've tried several search engines.

raidensnake
23-06-2008, 23:33
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
But then there is some sort of monitoring running on the server itself, and they are using like a client to see whats going on.
The best bet would be Nagios, as this is free and can be customized to your needs.
I looked into it but most of it is linux based and everything has to be configured manually. I'm not good at understanding that stuff.

derchris
23-06-2008, 23:14
But then there is some sort of monitoring running on the server itself, and they are using like a client to see whats going on.
The best bet would be Nagios, as this is free and can be customized to your needs.

raidensnake
23-06-2008, 15:00
most people I know have a remote prog of some sort that tells you exactly what's going on like every second or so. unfortunatly I don't know what software they use. I've ran into the laft 3 days with high traffic and I can't even find out what's going on since my remote desktop says it's busy.

Andy
23-06-2008, 14:00
I doubt that would help if the plesk or something else goes down. also the response time isn't live either.
Every other script you see these days is based on php or perl anyway. If whats been suggested isn't what you're looking for unfortunately I don't know what else to suggest. If your server is set up correctly it shouldn't need live monitoring anyway. My server has been up 100 days now without me touching it and nothing has gone wrong.

raidensnake
23-06-2008, 13:18
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
The only other thing you could do for that is create a custom made php/perl script that will show the information you want.
I doubt that would help if the plesk or something else goes down. also the response time isn't live either.

Andy
23-06-2008, 10:53
i really hate to say this but I have 2 problems... 1 I can't pay for those licences cause they are too expensive and I can't afford them. and 2 I'd rather have something that's real time monitoring using a prog on my pc here.
The only other thing you could do for that is create a custom made php/perl script that will show the information you want. I have one myself which is designed for windows if you would like to try it.

The demo is at http://m3ezw.no-ip.com/system it is auto updated every 10 minutes via cron but can be updated manually using the probe link (user and pass needed).

raidensnake
23-06-2008, 10:49
i really hate to say this but I have 2 problems... 1 I can't pay for those licences cause they are too expensive and I can't afford them. and 2 I'd rather have something that's real time monitoring using a prog on my pc here. I did also notice that hobbit is linux only.

edwards
23-06-2008, 00:44
30 days trial, after that you need to pay. That`s Andy suggestion.

Mine is to use something totally FREE! I love open source. One more time, use hobbit --> http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

Andy
22-06-2008, 17:34
I'm running windows 2003 server and want a software monitoring program to tell me pretty much what I mentioned. I don't understand this mrtg or other stuff. I'm just looking for something simple to use.
http://www.paessler.com/prtg you can download a 30 day free trial. You could 'acquire' a license from many places.

You need to install SNMP (very easy, see my site in my sig and go onto the live bandwidth graphs tutorial) and then you can configure the software to log live graphs of your cpu usage, memory, bandwidth, etc.

edwards
22-06-2008, 15:39
any machine with any OS can be monitored by hobbit. hobbit can send you emails or sms for any service down, any big fluctuation of CPU, RAM or a usage of more then 90% from your HDDs, is a real tool. hobbit is a open source. you can get the windows client from here: http://www.bb4.org/download.html

good luck.

raidensnake
22-06-2008, 14:39
I'm running windows 2003 server and want a software monitoring program to tell me pretty much what I mentioned. I don't understand this mrtg or other stuff. I'm just looking for something simple to use.

Dave
22-06-2008, 13:37
It depends what OS your running really.

I have no idea about tools for monitoring windows but on linux you can monitor + graph system load etc with snmp+mrtg/rrdtool and you can monitor temp's with lm_sensors+mrtg/rrdtool.

If you want to be really lazy there are some modules for webmin (if you use it) that will monitor most things and don't require much setup but these don't usually offer as much flexibility as setting up mrtg/rrdtool scripts your self.

Palad1n
22-06-2008, 12:57
I use NAGIOS from my Home PC to monitor my servers.

Had trouble with the MRTG module (see other post) but now that is resolved I get BW graphs too.

It e-mails my Blackberry with any issues.

And it is Free/Open Sauce

Andy
22-06-2008, 12:39
If you use Windows then a basic monitoring tool like PRTG Traffic Grapher is useful. You can monitor all sorts of information with that since it uses SNMP. You can monitor bandwidth, cpu usage, memory usage, tcp connections etc.

Murph
22-06-2008, 08:01
What operating system are you running? Server monitoring tools vary significantly between different platforms. The OVH dedicated servers are essentially unmanaged (other than initial installation) - you are expected to support the software (OS and applications) yourself. If you are expecting otherwise, you are really on the wrong product.

Also, check out the OVH RTM tools - I've not tried them myself, as I use my own monitoring, but they have some tools which provide more detailed monitoring through the OVH manager web interface.

raidensnake
22-06-2008, 07:14
I really hate to say this but there doesn't seem to be any types of monitoring tools available for dedicated servers. I had a server crash the other day and I couldn't even find out what was going on. I couldn't get any status... the staff said there was nothing wrong. from what I can make sense of through the emails they only use a simple ping test to monitor the server. I know a ping test is unreliable. please if anyone can suggest some free tools to let me check the cpu & mem ect... also this is is a suggestion for ovh as well. that would be aprechiated thanks.