OVH Community, your new community space.

standard centos kernel?

marks
21-03-2011, 12:59
Quote Originally Posted by rolysatch
thanks yontan, i've decided to just keep with the ovh kernel.
The OVH kernel is just optimised for OVH servers. Over the years, it's shown more stable and quick for the vast majority of our customers.

I'd suggest to keep it as long as you don't have a particular reason.

You can also use one of our network kernels, to use the latest version available, or download it and install it in the bootloader from here:

ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/

rolysatch
21-03-2011, 11:42
thanks yontan, i've decided to just keep with the ovh kernel.

yonatan
20-03-2011, 14:48
hi yontan

understood, i would prefer if possible to pay you a small fee and you write simple instructions so i can do it myself. would this be possible? i've sent you a msn message.

roland
Im afraid there is no " one size fits all " method for this kind of operation , it depends on your server model and motherboard, and actually i never wrote an howto for this due to the fact it changes from server to server.

the basic guideline would be to create your initrd and make sure you are booting from the right device.

rolysatch
09-03-2011, 21:21
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
No, the vanilla kernel will need to be compiled and patched manually for each new patch.

yum provides you with a binary kernel from centos which depends on the upstream from readhat.
it is not the same kernel version ,you must not update from yum if you use the manual compile method.

if you need the stock centos kernel installed , you will have to install it from yum directly.

I can do this for you for a small fee , just contact me on MSN .
hi yontan

understood, i would prefer if possible to pay you a small fee and you write simple instructions so i can do it myself. would this be possible? i've sent you a msn message.

roland

yonatan
08-03-2011, 11:48
i've managed to comile a kernel off of this guide here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=239

will the kernel now be able to be updated with yum or not?
No, the vanilla kernel will need to be compiled and patched manually for each new patch.

yum provides you with a binary kernel from centos which depends on the upstream from readhat.
it is not the same kernel version ,you must not update from yum if you use the manual compile method.

if you need the stock centos kernel installed , you will have to install it from yum directly.

I can do this for you for a small fee , just contact me on MSN .

rolysatch
08-03-2011, 00:11
thanks!

Thelen
07-03-2011, 23:18
I don't see why not, just make sure to use normal yum repos.

rolysatch
07-03-2011, 22:02
i've managed to comile a kernel off of this guide here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=239

will the kernel now be able to be updated with yum or not?

rolysatch
07-03-2011, 19:33
thanks adam. my problem is that i have directadmin also that is supplied by ovh.

AdamD
07-03-2011, 19:08
I used two methods to fix this, one was to use this -

http://forums.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4991

And the other was to use OVH's virtual KVM to install Centos from a Centos boot CD.

rolysatch
07-03-2011, 16:26
hi

i've just bought my first server with ovh, and have realised that they don't use the standard kernel!

I'm not an expert with server management but have been able to run my own servers for the past 5+ years with other hosting companys with out too much trouble with the aid of directadmin and yum.

To my suprise the install i have recieved with my i7 server and directadmin is not standard and has a custom kernel. does anyone know of a step by step simple guide to change the kernel to a standard one so that i can keep the kernel simply updated with yum, along with other stuff like iptables.

any advice appreciated

roland