OVH Community, your new community space.

ATTN: Oles, Reguarding Client Dedicated Server Monitoring

raidensnake
14-07-2008, 07:58
well i hate to say this but paying for what I got at the min has maxed out what I can afford financially.

Dave
24-06-2008, 14:59
Quote Originally Posted by raidensnake
As I mentioned before in another post I wish to get live stats of my server when the remote desktop is unavailable however yourselves don't seem to provide us one. I would strongly suggest it as I have a lot of high traffic and a lot of the time the server is busy to let me log in. please could you get back to me on this. thanks.
First thing I'd suggest is that if you can't log in remote desktop because of the high traffic (100% utilization of 100mbps/1000mbps) demand then you need to look at getting another server and load balancing or getting a server from the 1gbps range if you don't already have one, because if RD traffic is being turned away then so will a percentage of HTTP or any other traffic.

If in fact you are experiencing high server load (cpu/hd/memory) from lots of concurrent connections which is stopping you from logging in RD then again you either need to upgrade the server or optimize your setup more if its just a stock software install.

I know on my linux server in my OVH control panel there is a section called "Real Time Monitoring" and this displays:

Distribution :
Kernel :
Date :
CPU usage : %
RAM usage: %
SWAP usage: %
Server running since :

This information is relayed from the server via a scripted called RTM that is installed by default, although for the privacy and security of my box I've disabled this script and I monitor core services and hardware my self.

Personally I don't think its up to OVH to provide such an in depth monitoring solution, the servers are self managed so monitoring of any devices/components should be up to you, if your server is inaccessible due to a high load then you really should look at your requirements and setup.

For the time being you could look into QOS and prioritize RD traffic but I going to go out on a limb and say its more of a server load issue rather than traffic issue if RD connections are timing out.

raidensnake
24-06-2008, 07:43
As I mentioned before in another post I wish to get live stats of my server when the remote desktop is unavailable however yourselves don't seem to provide us one. I would strongly suggest it as I have a lot of high traffic and a lot of the time the server is busy to let me log in. please could you get back to me on this. thanks.