OVH Community, your new community space.

VPS at £5 per month

Thelen
27-08-2013, 09:37
Yes it does from when I tested.

elcct
26-08-2013, 19:32
Does VPS have OVH <-> OVH connection @ 1-10gbps ?

If not, then why?

Jasgriff
26-08-2013, 18:57
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Still relevant though as Volumedrive is mentioned in this thread, and gives you all a option to get your post counts up!
+1

rickyday
26-08-2013, 17:52
Still relevant though as Volumedrive is mentioned in this thread, and gives you all a option to get your post counts up!

RikT
26-08-2013, 17:28
Quote Originally Posted by AndrewNylon
This thread is 2 years old............
taht thread isnt 2 years old first post was 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM

LawsHosting
26-08-2013, 17:18
Wait, what. I thought this was a new thread! Just to see a new post 2 years later. Waste of a click!?!?!

AndrewNylon
26-08-2013, 17:05
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
I hope no one on these forums are with Volumedrive? or rather *were with*

Shocking.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296858
This thread is 2 years old............

rickyday
26-08-2013, 16:53
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
Same feeling Myatu.

Ive never seen a VPS have a setup fee. Ive used around 50 VPS now..

but why should I pay your fees when I can have :

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=volumedrive
I hope no one on these forums are with Volumedrive? or rather *were with*

Shocking.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296858

HandsomeChap
23-03-2011, 21:49
But Adam that would be too logical

AdamD
22-03-2011, 14:30
The setup fees should be tiered to the price of the lease, in my opinion.

I could understand a €5 euro setup fee for the VPS, any higher is just plain stupid.

Dedicated server setup fees for instance, shouldn't start at £49.99, it should be tiered in some manner, like..

Server cost - £14.99 - £49.99 = £10 setup fee
Server cost £50.00 - £99.99 = £20 setup fee

and so on.

marks
22-03-2011, 14:13
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
So, if I order a kimsufi with a 'Loyalty voucher', instead of the setup fee, port 25 will be blocked unless I pay £50? Kind of confusing when Frenglish is used
Ok, now I understand the questions. I can see that oles mentioned it in the post about the loyalty vouchers.

That was mentioned back then, but nothing else has been talked about this anymore. So, at the moment, the situation is as usual: kimsufi has setup fee £49.99

LawsHosting
22-03-2011, 10:57
Quote Originally Posted by marks
no, they don't have it blocked
Can you elaborate on the meaning of
kimsufi (will be 0 installation fees and unblocking of ports 25 at £50)
So, if I order a kimsufi with a 'Loyalty voucher', instead of the setup fee, port 25 will be blocked unless I pay £50? Kind of confusing when Frenglish is used

NickW
21-03-2011, 16:10
The setup fee is 6 times the cost of the service. How is that justified?

marks
21-03-2011, 12:48
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
+1

Any company that puts setup fees on an AUTOMATED setup is just asking for trouble. I mean come on... £50 is a rip off even for the dedicated servers. How can you expect anyone to pay it for RPS/VPS?
The setup fee for the VPS is 30€, not 50€, in the French site.

You guys know the reasons that OVH has to add a setup fee to our products. I understand that, from your point of view, it's not the best thing (turn over but abuse specially).

I also think that you definitely have to complain about it, if you think that's the wrong way to do it. Specially when you give alternatives that can help us reach the same goals. We do take not of all of them, and when the time comes to consider a new pricing change, they'll be taken into account.

Andy
21-03-2011, 12:19
Quote Originally Posted by Rahxie
A setup fee on a virtual server, what a joke...
+1

Any company that puts setup fees on an AUTOMATED setup is just asking for trouble. I mean come on... £50 is a rip off even for the dedicated servers. How can you expect anyone to pay it for RPS/VPS?

marks
21-03-2011, 10:24
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
So, going over a question I asked a few weeks ago, Kimsufi's do have the ports blocked by default?
no, they don't have it blocked

Rahxie
20-03-2011, 12:07
A setup fee on a virtual server, what a joke...

LawsHosting
20-03-2011, 10:59
Quote Originally Posted by marks
Yes, there is a setup fee but the VPS don't have the SMTP port block.
So, going over a question I asked a few weeks ago, Kimsufi's do have the ports blocked by default?

elvis1
20-03-2011, 00:34
why would a setup fee stop abuse?

an easy way would be :you can then give the setup fee back ( if there is no way you can wipe it) if the client does not abuse the service ( beyond the TOS) after X amount of time ( with no need to pay upfront)

Iray
19-03-2011, 12:48
$5 but a $50 setup fee... yehhhh....

Myatu
18-03-2011, 17:52
I fail to see how half a year's worth of a base VPS rental as the setup fee is competitive?

When considering that HA is also an extra £15 per month, you get the same at RackSpace for less (thus giving you an allowance of non-crippled traffic - unlike OVH - before it comes as expensive as OVH). Rackspace of all companies... The Starbucks of servers when it comes to pricing.

marks
18-03-2011, 12:28
Yes, there is a setup fee but the VPS don't have the SMTP port block.

At the beginning there were some talks about having the port 25 blocked by default and then unblock it with a fee, but as abuse is something more general than port 25, it's been thought this is a better solution (after all abuse can be more than just port 25).

We understand that setup fees are hard for a starting business but I'm afraid that it has been set this way.

Apart from this, the product offers lots of possibilities and a base price of £5/month is very competitive.

What do you think about the other options?

elvis1
18-03-2011, 03:04
Same feeling Myatu.

Ive never seen a VPS have a setup fee. Ive used around 50 VPS now..

but why should I pay your fees when I can have :

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=volumedrive

Myatu
17-03-2011, 18:24
What is it with Oles and those $*$@ setup fees every time!

Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
So you can quickly see that the VPS in OVH starts at €5 ex VAT p/m with Free Set-up
Bull...!

jonlewi5
16-03-2011, 17:47
> Learn more:
> http://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/
>
> Installation costs are 30th. You
> Ability to send emails. And do all sorts
> Server UDP and TCP (limited protections
> Cons attacks on UDP).
>
> The orders will be delivered before noon tomorrow
> The time that we allow to go into production betas
> Testers who wish to renew their VPS. They have
> No installation fees. It will be done tomorrow in the
> Morning and they have one week to think about before
> VPS beta test will be erased.

Hello,
In 1 hour, we will launch the "renew" s
controlled by beta testers. Next, we will
begin to deliver to customers who have ordered
VPS since yesterday. About midnight everything should be
production.

We just reprice options HA (99.99% SLA)
and HP (8 vcore with 2x more GHz / GB). It has also enabled
Order for VPS with these 2 options. By cons
VPS HA deliveries will start later this week
next VPS and HA + HP in 2 weeks. The
time to finish the development and validation manager v5
technology with the manager v5 but mostly we need
10In a days to produce and implement the
new hosts for the VPS ... we do not have much
.... Ale that starts strong ... but no problem ... we will
get there ...

Regards
Octave

oles@ovh.net
16-03-2011, 17:38
Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
More:
https://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/

Installation costs are €30. You are able to send emails and have all types servers on UDP and TCP (limited protections against attacks on UDP).

The orders will be delivered tomorrow by noon time and at this time we will allow the beta testers who wish to renew their VPS to be put into production. They have no installation costs. It will be done tomorrow morning and they have one week to think about it before the VPS Beta's are erased.
Hello,
In 1 hour, we will launch the "renewal" orders by the beta testers. Next, we will begin to deliver to customers who have ordered VPS since yesterday. About midnight everything should be in production.

We just changed the prices for the HA (SLA 99.99%) and HP (8 vcore with 2x more GHz / GB) options. We have also enabled ordering the VPS with these two options. However, deliveries of the VPS HA will start late next week and the VPS HA + HP in about 2 weeks. The time is needed to finish manager v5 development and to validate the manager v5 technology but mostly we need another 10 days to produce and implement the new hosts for the VPS ... we do not have too much to do.... and it's starting strong ... but no problems ... we'll get there ...

Regards
Octave

NickW
16-03-2011, 14:50
Are these available with a UK IP address for us UK customers?

Tz-OVH
16-03-2011, 12:42
So oles and Neil are now talking to each other in French, handy on the UK forum Neil!

Neil
16-03-2011, 12:00
> and the UDP bandwidth is limited to 1Mbps. 32Kbps per

Hello,
Following discussion around gaming and voIP we have increased the UDP limit to 5Mbps per VPS.

All the best

Octave

Neil
16-03-2011, 11:59
Hello,
We are pleased to announce the production of a new offer: VPS alias Virtual Private Server .

Firstly thank you to the beta testers who have greatly helped to validate by chipping away at the infrastructure for the last 2 months! Many many exchanges...

The offer is between shared hosting and dedicated servers and it is a private server without the constraint of a true dedicated server. Or from hosting with complete freedom unlike shared hosting ... so to each his own

Some advantages of vrack:
- No hardware to manage
- 100% available HA storage with integrated backup
- Can change between 0.5GHz/256MB to 16GHz/24GB in 3 clicks
- 4 or 8 vCore server with maximum power of each vCore to 2.00GHz
- In case of hardware failure you restart your VPS on the OVH cloud in minutes
- And thus guarantee the SLA:
- Less than 43 minutes of outage per month (99.9% SLA)
- Less than 4 minutes of outage per month (99.99% SLA)
- Linux or Windows

By default your VPS runs in 4 vCore or 8 vCore. Depending on your GHz reservation , the power can be used on a vCore (and therefore all on only one vCore ... with the maximum 2.00GHz) or the power is distributed over the 4 or 8 vCore. It is automatic and therefore suitable for both games that need max vCore as well as sql servers serving requests in parallel.

The storage is done on the storage racks that are highly available, meaning that if one of the two heads that manage the racks disks fail, the slave immediately becomes the master and takes over all the disks and then processes the requests.

On the network side, VPS has a 100Mbps connection input and output. There's a bonus: we activated the protections against attacks: ICMP traffic is limited to 32Kbps and UDP bandwidth is limited to 1Mbps. 32Kbps ip source on SYN. No limitation in TCP.

To manage your VPS you have a manager v5 with usage statistics of CPU, RAM, HD and the network. You have the option of upgrading your VPS in bursts during the payment time or the monthly power change. Then reboot and reinstall.

Changing power is done either cold (with a reboot of the VPS) or hot (with the HP option). In all cases we wanted something very flexible and immediately available. Then simple to understand and above all to use.

More:
https://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/

Installation costs are £30. You are able to send emails and have all types servers on UDP and TCP (limited protections against attacks on UDP).

The orders will be delivered tomorrow by noon time and at this time we will allow the beta testers who wish to renew their VPS to be put into production. They have no installation costs. It will be done tomorrow morning and they have one week to think about it before the VPS Beta's are erased.

The offer will continue to evolve following the roadmap that we've already announced. It will also change depending on feedback from our customers. If you have functionality that you want added, please send an email and we will discuss it. Then we will add it to the roadmap with the precise specifications and date of production.

Availability in subsidiaries: 10 days (the time to translate the website and adapt the offer to the payment methods available for each subsidiary).

All the best
Octave

oles@ovh.net
16-03-2011, 10:12
See below: