OVH Community, your new community space.

The death of win2003

yonatan
28-03-2011, 11:31
Quote Originally Posted by ig0r
That kind of defeats the purpose though - Im not saying Im attached to win 2k3 web , if ovh wants to upgrade my free licence to 2k8 for free - hey Im good with that lol. My point is - OVH contracted to supply my server with free win2k3 OS and I contracted to pay for my server -Ive kept my side of the deal. I just need OVH to clarify what the situation will be after they remove 2k3 in regards to the free OS they contractually offered me.
I shouldnt have to buy a key for this server - OVH sold it with free OS to me , and if by removing 2k3 that means they end my free licence - Im seriously unimpressed and as I said - it also means I'll be leaving ovh as I cant afford to pay for a licence on this server that should have a free licence for its life (the main reason I moved to ovh). Im hoping OVH will clarify this soon so I know where I stand and Im also kinda hoping that OVH arent going to screw me on their end of the contract R.E licence .....

for this case they will have to contact Microsoft for a new key for you.

ig0r
28-03-2011, 10:01
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
If you know how to use the KVM in the Manager panel, you can install Windows 2003 yourself very easily.

If you can't do this, there is a user on these forums who will install any *.iso you like (as long as you have your own key) for only £25.

So, there is still options for you guys
That kind of defeats the purpose though - Im not saying Im attached to win 2k3 web , if ovh wants to upgrade my free licence to 2k8 for free - hey Im good with that lol. My point is - OVH contracted to supply my server with free win2k3 OS and I contracted to pay for my server -Ive kept my side of the deal. I just need OVH to clarify what the situation will be after they remove 2k3 in regards to the free OS they contractually offered me.
I shouldnt have to buy a key for this server - OVH sold it with free OS to me , and if by removing 2k3 that means they end my free licence - Im seriously unimpressed and as I said - it also means I'll be leaving ovh as I cant afford to pay for a licence on this server that should have a free licence for its life (the main reason I moved to ovh). Im hoping OVH will clarify this soon so I know where I stand and Im also kinda hoping that OVH arent going to screw me on their end of the contract R.E licence .....

RapidSpeeds
27-03-2011, 15:00
If you know how to use the KVM in the Manager panel, you can install Windows 2003 yourself very easily.

If you can't do this, there is a user on these forums who will install any *.iso you like (as long as you have your own key) for only £25.

So, there is still options for you guys

slacker
27-03-2011, 12:28
Our current servers with win2003 can be re-installed with win2003.
Not sure about the free license though, but I guess it doesn't matter.
Anyway, just simulate a re-install, and see if win2003 can be chosen from the list. Problem solved.

Andy
27-03-2011, 09:53
I believe you'll have to use the equivalent 2008 version of Windows as a replacement.

ig0r
26-03-2011, 18:34
Could I get some clarification on the server 2k3 OS thing please.
My server (Ive had it about 3 years) came with free windows 2k3 web OS installed (and free further reinstalls of 2k3 web) . The free OS is one of the main reasons I moved to OVH.
So what happens now if I need to reinstall my OS ?
Am I totally out of luck and no longer have a free windows OS - if so thats seriously wrong imo, I came to OVH primarily for the OS originally.
Yes I can manage fine with *nix - but for this server - it has to be windows.
In all honesty - if my free OS is gone, next time it needs an OS reinstall will be the time I leave OVH for good. Its unfair if thats the case though- it was sold to me with FREE OS by ovh and I dont think Im wrong to expect OVH to honour that for the servers lifetime and because that servers an absolute budget server (based on the finances available for it) its not practical to buy a windows OS for it when I should be getting it for free .
Could someone @ OVH clarify the case for me so Im left with no doubts as so far its not been adressed clearly

Thanks

jibbajabba
17-03-2011, 23:56
Alright, thanks. Cancelling the server to get a updated one is not a option for me, i certainly don't have £50 for the setup fee and can't afford to pay an extra £10 for the server.

I suppose if i had no option i could use Ubuntu, i've been learning how to use it but i'm abit scared incase i break something lol.

Tz-OVH
17-03-2011, 13:27
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Generally you can use the same licence purchased from us for 2003 and 2008, so you when you reinstall it will just have to be 2008.

But send us an email with the server address to double check.
Thanks Neil, will do.

Neil
17-03-2011, 11:51
Generally you can use the same licence purchased from us for 2003 and 2008, so you when you reinstall it will just have to be 2008.

But send us an email with the server address to double check.

Tz-OVH
17-03-2011, 10:41
Quote Originally Posted by marks
No, the licenses are the same price. Another thing would be the compatibility in the case it's an old server.

what do you mean you don't pay anything? do you have your own license? In that case, OVH cannot update it for you unfortunately.
I reloaded the server recently (less than 6mo) and when I selected a Windows distribution it didn't add any additional cost versus Linux. This is Win2003 Web Edition. I recall it being free a long time ago...hence my continued use of this server.

Server type: Kimsufi C-05G Server

marks
17-03-2011, 10:30
Quote Originally Posted by jibbajabba
If i reinstall my windows 2003 to 2008 will i have to pay more for the licence? i've had my server for a few years now.
It's a old kimisufi 08 which i took over from a friend.
No, the licenses are the same price. Another thing would be the compatibility in the case it's an old server.

So I assume you're saying Win2003 is discontinued. I have free Windows on my Kimsufi machine, so I don't pay anything for the license, will you extend that to Win2008 if you force the discontinuation?
what do you mean you don't pay anything? do you have your own license? In that case, OVH cannot update it for you unfortunately.

jibbajabba
17-03-2011, 01:46
If i reinstall my windows 2003 to 2008 will i have to pay more for the licence? i've had my server for a few years now.
It's a old kimisufi 08 which i took over from a friend.

Tz-OVH
16-03-2011, 12:43
So I assume you're saying Win2003 is discontinued. I have free Windows on my Kimsufi machine, so I don't pay anything for the license, will you extend that to Win2008 if you force the discontinuation?

oles@ovh.net
16-03-2011, 11:42
Hello,

We have just removed "win2003" distributions off our catalogue of available distributions for new servers or re-installations. For over a year, they have no longer been maintained by Microsoft and the problems are too numerous to let them die in peace. So we decided to finish them off.

.... Yaaaaaaaaa ... Japanese samurai sword...

There ...its done.

We still offer the "Win2008" and its variants.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards
Octave