OVH Community, your new community space.

kimsufi

spid3r1987
29-03-2011, 17:13
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Fire away with the Q's. That's what the forum is for
thats what i like to hear, a supportive forum!!!

Myatu
29-03-2011, 17:12
Fire away with the Q's. That's what the forum is for

spid3r1987
29-03-2011, 16:53
Only if you currently have SSL certs that are bound to the IP, and you wish to re-use those. In that case, it will affect the SSL certs, yes. "Domain only" SSL certs won't be affected.
nahh ssl's are up for renewal soon so that wont matter
sorry about so many q's, not used a dedi server before, just used hosting with cpanel & local sbs 2008 box

Myatu
29-03-2011, 16:38
Quote Originally Posted by spid3r1987
this wont affect SSL certificates etc will it??
Only if you currently have SSL certs that are bound to the IP, and you wish to re-use those. In that case, it will affect the SSL certs, yes. "Domain only" SSL certs won't be affected.

spid3r1987
29-03-2011, 16:28
Any country that OVH serves
sounds good to me then
coz i got 3 websites i want to put onto UK IP's if possible
since i get 3 failover IP's i will use these lol

this wont affect SSL certificates etc will it??

Myatu
29-03-2011, 16:27
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Yes, fail overs can be in any country you like I believe.
Any country that OVH serves

Andy
29-03-2011, 12:19
Yes, fail overs can be in any country you like I believe.

spid3r1987
29-03-2011, 08:50
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
You get one fixed IP that can't be moved which is always French. You can also get an additional 3 addresses for free where you can select the country and move them between servers.

If you need more IPs, you need to pay £15/month extra (no matter how many additional IPs you have) as well as a setup fee. This allows you to set the network name, country and description in the RIPE database.
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
It would be a french IP but the fail over addresses can be set to UK
as what youwhat mentioned then, my failovers can be a UK ip?

Razakel
28-03-2011, 22:08
just wondering, iv currently got a 30day trial from OVH to see what its like etc

if i was to purchase a dedicated server, does it get a UK ip address or would it be a french one like my trial server??
You get one fixed IP that can't be moved which is always French. You can also get an additional 3 addresses for free where you can select the country and move them between servers.

If you need more IPs, you need to pay £15/month extra (no matter how many additional IPs you have) as well as a setup fee. This allows you to set the network name, country and description in the RIPE database.

spid3r1987
28-03-2011, 16:34
ignore, duplicate post

spid3r1987
28-03-2011, 16:14
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
cheers
not that it matters much, just thought for google rankings etc...
dnt really matter much tbh...

YouWhat
28-03-2011, 12:01

spid3r1987
28-03-2011, 09:07
just wondering, iv currently got a 30day trial from OVH to see what its like etc

if i was to purchase a dedicated server, does it get a UK ip address or would it be a french one like my trial server??

Razakel
27-03-2011, 21:32
Quote Originally Posted by robw
Not all C-250G's are created equal. For example mine:

#cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz

A nice dual core Pentium :-)
Mine's an E5200.

the script that runs is to create a google feed file
the hosting atm is currently hosting24.com
the sql_timeout is at 20 and it needs to be approx 70 seconds lol
If your queries are taking that long, you might want to look at optimising them.

It is a good price indeed, you won't get many similar offers elsewhere. But should things go awry, how "cheap" is it still in terms of lost revenue during that down time?
This is the main thing you need to bear in mind with the Kimsufis in particular. For most people, they work brilliantly and are absolutely fantastic for starting up, development work and that sort of stuff.

If you have problems, support for them is lower priority than the main OVH range, so it can take a while to get stuff sorted (I've personally had no problems). But at 15 quid a month, why not get two?

The only other thing you need to be aware of is that you need to know what you're doing or have access to someone who does - the servers are completely unmanaged.

spid3r1987
25-03-2011, 16:06
has anybody's server actually come with a celeron in it???

jonlewi5
25-03-2011, 14:40
My C-250 came with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @2.00 GHz

spid3r1987
25-03-2011, 13:32
Quote Originally Posted by robw

#cat /proc/cpuinfo

Lucky My Q6600 was really a Q6700 but I didn't expect a completely different processor. There's a big difference between celeron and dual core pentiums!
yeah exactly lol, knowing my luck id get the celeron haha!!
i wouldn't be opposed to paying £19.99 p/m if it was an intel pentium dual core cpu instead of a 1.2ghz single core celeron lol

Andy
25-03-2011, 12:56
Lucky My Q6600 was really a Q6700 but I didn't expect a completely different processor. There's a big difference between celeron and dual core pentiums!

robw
25-03-2011, 12:43
That kimsufi is only a celeron so don't expect miracles. It'll happily handle 2-3 connections/second but it totally depends on the system being used.

#cat /proc/cpuinfo

spid3r1987
24-03-2011, 21:24
It is a good price indeed, you won't get many similar offers elsewhere. But should things go awry, how "cheap" is it still in terms of lost revenue during that down time?

So as the situation is for you right now, there's a script that's running into timeouts. First things that comes to my mind: What in particular is causing this? For instance, is the DB server low on memory? (If so, then a C-250G would not be a good idea as DBs are memory hungry - and you're already using some for web services). Can the script be optimized? Or perhaps optimize the DB tables? Is it possible to use a cache between the script and database?

Are you currently using OVH's hosting product? They use clustered servers (so not a single point of failure) and you can add a Private SQL option (see http://www.ovh.co.uk/shared_hosting/private_sql.xml), which also removes the single point of failure issue. You have a bit more control over the SQL server as well in this case.

There are users here who have been using a single Kimsufi for commercial purposes with success (ie., VoIP service, etc). But success is never guaranteed, hence I throw these out as well...
the script that runs is to create a google feed file
the hosting atm is currently hosting24.com
the sql_timeout is at 20 and it needs to be approx 70 seconds lol

Myatu
24-03-2011, 21:21

So as the situation is for you right now, there's a script that's running into timeouts. First things that comes to my mind: What in particular is causing this? For instance, is the DB server low on memory? (If so, then a C-250G would not be a good idea as DBs are memory hungry - and you're already using some for web services). Can the script be optimized? Or perhaps optimize the DB tables? Is it possible to use a cache between the script and database?

Are you currently using OVH's hosting product? They use clustered servers (so not a single point of failure) and you can add a Private SQL option (see http://www.ovh.co.uk/shared_hosting/private_sql.xml), which also removes the single point of failure issue. You have a bit more control over the SQL server as well in this case.

There are users here who have been using a single Kimsufi for commercial purposes with success (ie., VoIP service, etc). But success is never guaranteed, hence I throw these out as well...

spid3r1987
24-03-2011, 20:46
i wouldn't normally, but with "hosting", the scripts i have to run to generate feed files wont run because of sql_timeout....
and no hosting will change this..
all 3 sites need to run this script.

but we are only a small company so cant afford a middle-high dedi/vps server...
the c-250g is brilliant price
jsut not sure spec of cpu will cope etc...
might have to try something else :S..

Myatu
24-03-2011, 20:42
not expecting miracles, but just dont wanna commit to 12 months to find the servers struggling...

each site has approx 25-30k of products + images etc...
My suggestion: don't put all your eggs in one basket. Particularly when it comes to e-commerce sites.

Andy
24-03-2011, 20:32
For 10k page hits (not unique visitors) per month it should be fine.

spid3r1987
24-03-2011, 20:31
That kimsufi is only a celeron so don't expect miracles. It'll happily handle 2-3 connections/second but it totally depends on the system being used.
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Plenty.
not expecting miracles, but just dont wanna commit to 12 months to find the servers struggling...

each site has approx 25-30k of products + images etc...

Winit
24-03-2011, 20:08
just wondering, would the kimsufi c-250g be good enough to run 3 e-commerce sites with not ALOT of traffic??

approx 10k hits per site per month...
Plenty.

Andy
24-03-2011, 19:12

spid3r1987
24-03-2011, 19:11
just wondering, would the kimsufi c-250g be good enough to run 3 e-commerce sites with not ALOT of traffic??

approx 10k hits per site per month...

spid3r1987
23-03-2011, 16:25
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
Sorry to butt in

Why do people use Plesk? I can't see a benefit, only the opposite.

It, or used to, uses MySQL and Apache for the data - hence why it gets targeted a lot. Saying that, it was years ago that I used it (version 7.5 era).

Just expressing my opinion.
use plesk because its a panel that i know of, im not a genius when it comes to websites, most of the time iv used cpanel, but i begrudge paying £24.99 per month for cpanel when plesk can do the same thing for £5....

LawsHosting
23-03-2011, 13:08
Sorry to butt in
on linux plesk 10
Why do people use Plesk? I can't see a benefit, only the opposite.

It, or used to, uses MySQL and Apache for the data - hence why it gets targeted a lot. Saying that, it was years ago that I used it (version 7.5 era).

Just expressing my opinion.

Neil
23-03-2011, 12:03
yep i know about the £50 setup fee, but i think were paying for 12 months instead of monthly
just gotta make sure all domains get pointed to the new server once its setup etc...

on linux plesk 10, how easy is it to setup subdomains?
Straight forward, although they have moved everything around in Plesk 10 so takes a bit of time but the feature is there.

spid3r1987
23-03-2011, 09:16
Don't forget the £50 setup fee.
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Pay for 12 months = no setup fee.
Yeah, but how many people do you know who pay for 12 months?
yep i know about the £50 setup fee, but i think were paying for 12 months instead of monthly
just gotta make sure all domains get pointed to the new server once its setup etc...

on linux plesk 10, how easy is it to setup subdomains?

Andy
22-03-2011, 20:43
Yeah, but how many people do you know who pay for 12 months?

Winit
22-03-2011, 20:00
Pay for 12 months = no setup fee.

Andy
22-03-2011, 18:08
Don't forget the £50 setup fee.

Myatu
22-03-2011, 17:50
Yes, you can use those IPs as you see fit. So "www.site-one.com" can use the main IP, "www.site-two.com" the 1st Failover IP, etc.

spid3r1987
22-03-2011, 17:21
hi there, im looking at the kimsufi dedicated servers
just small basic fs
at £14.99
brilliant price!!
it mentions 3 fallover ip's
is it possible to use 2 of these ip's to be dedicated to a certain domain
i have 3 websites im wanting to run from this box, each website will need its own dedicated IP for SSL reasons...

any help is greatly appreciated
im a complete noob at this..