OVH Community, your new community space.

Operating system VPS VMware (Debian 4.0) Serial Key

Budvar
20-02-2009, 13:23
I found the solution. During the Registration for the serial keys you can choose between windows and Linux. I have chose windows but it should be Linux.

Now it works.

Sorry for my bad english...

Neil
20-02-2009, 11:52
Quote Originally Posted by Budvar
I know. I downloaded VMware Server Console 1.0.8 and in the same prozedure i get the key for version 1.0

Creating of a Virtual Machine works. Everytime I try to start the Virtual Machine it says:

"Cannot find a serial number to unlock this version of VMware Server.
Please enter a valid serial number by choosing Help > Enter Serial Number..."

Then I try to enter the key and it says...

"The Serial Number entered did not match any licenses"
The Licence must also matched what you Registered, so Name and Company must be inserted if that is what you put on the form.

If that does not work then you will have to contact VMware, there is little more we can do.

Budvar
20-02-2009, 11:33
I know. I downloaded VMware Server Console 1.0.8 and in the same prozedure i get the key for version 1.0

Creating of a Virtual Machine works. Everytime I try to start the Virtual Machine it says:

"Cannot find a serial number to unlock this version of VMware Server.
Please enter a valid serial number by choosing Help > Enter Serial Number..."

Then I try to enter the key and it says...

"The Serial Number entered did not match any licenses"

Neil
20-02-2009, 11:24
Hi

You most likely got VMware 2.0 Keys, you need to get VMware 1.0 Keys, which can be got here http://register.vmware.com/content/registration.html

Budvar
20-02-2009, 11:14
I have the same Problem. What kind of key did you get? I get also the key from Vmware, but it doesn't match. Can anybody send the right key?

Please help me...Thanks

wesleyelder
27-06-2008, 14:42
Quote Originally Posted by kro
No, it should be saved on the server after you entered it in the console. Are you connecting with user "root" or did you create another user for VMware manually? If so, try connecting with "root" privileges. Additionally I will send you another key to test via private message.

Best Regards,
Felix
I was connecting using root, however the console never accepted the key i entered. They Key sent vis private message worked.
Thanks so much
Wesley

Felix@OVH
27-06-2008, 14:31
Quote Originally Posted by wesleyelder
so when i enter this serial key, via the vmware server console client on my windows pc, using help -> enter serial key i get the message :

"The serial number entered did not match any licenses"
Do i need to enter the same serial key on my server somewhere?
No, it should be saved on the server after you entered it in the console. Are you connecting with user "root" or did you create another user for VMware manually? If so, try connecting with "root" privileges. Additionally I will send you another key to test via private message.

Best Regards,
Felix

wesleyelder
27-06-2008, 14:20
Quote Originally Posted by kro
Connecting to the server using the console should be possible even without key, however you should get a message similar to that one when trying to boot the VM.
Did you enter the key (correctly) in the VMware Server Console -> "Help" -> "Enter serial number"?

You can also check in /etc/vmware/, there should be a small text file named license-something which contains the information you entered.

Best Regards,
Felix
Thanks for the speedy reply,
however i couldnt see any license-something file in that location.

the following files are located at /etc/vmware/

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root   4096 Jun 27 13:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 58 root root   4096 Jun 27 15:13 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    556 Jun  6 16:20 config
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  16606 Jun  6 10:07 installer.sh
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 263210 Jun 27 12:56 locations
-rw-r--r--  1 root root     86 May 13 15:30 netmap.conf
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jun  6 10:07 pam.d
-r--r--r--  1 root root    182 Jun  6 10:07 signing-key.pub
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jun 27 12:26 ssl
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jun 13 11:22 state
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    252 Jun 27 13:01 vm-list
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    262 Jun 27 13:01 vm-list-private
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root   4096 Jun  6 10:14 vmnet1
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root   4096 Jun  6 10:14 vmnet8

i registered for a serial key. got this key : 9AM84-YWC0T-1113N-484J8

so when i enter this serial key, via the vmware server console client on my windows pc, using help -> enter serial key i get the message :

"The serial number entered did not match any licenses"
Do i need to enter the same serial key on my server somewhere?
Little lost,
Thanks
Wesley

Felix@OVH
27-06-2008, 12:28
Connecting to the server using the console should be possible even without key, however you should get a message similar to that one when trying to boot the VM.
Did you enter the key (correctly) in the VMware Server Console -> "Help" -> "Enter serial number"?

You can also check in /etc/vmware/, there should be a small text file named license-something which contains the information you entered.

Best Regards,
Felix

wesleyelder
27-06-2008, 12:05
Hey Guys,
Hoping someone can help me here.

ive installed 'Operating system VPS VMware (Debian 4.0) (BETA)' and i would like to get a vm up and running, but everytime i try to connect to the server is says,

"cannot find a serial number to unlock this version of Vmware Server"

so i went and register to get a serial key and enetered it. However it never works!

Do i need to eneter the serial number on the server first?
Thank in advance
Wesley