OVH Community, your new community space.

My GoDaddy domain and creating sub-domains

heise
17-01-2015, 23:56
GoDaddy is normally 15 US$ per year and with this promotion you get it for 10US$ per year after second year, BUT you have to pay extra for privacy protection. Taking that into consideration, there are many other companies that have better offers. But thanks for the advice.

tanik
17-01-2015, 16:36
DOMAIN OFFER TO EVERYBODY.

I've just registered five new domain names from Godaddy. All we know about the service quality of Godaddy. Now they're offering a domain name at $.99 and you know this is quite a cheap price and i've never seen this kind of big offer from Godaddy. However, let me come to the main point.

Are you thinking to buy some domain names? If yes then let me help you. Simply visit Godaddy.com and register a new account there. Search for a new domain name and select a domain name to checkout. When you'll checkout just use this promo code "99WORD" and continue. You'll get a new domain name from GoDaddy at $.99!

If you've any question, feel free to ask me. I hope, you should never miss this big offer

BigDook
06-04-2011, 23:58
[QUOTE=BigDook;38377The only option under "Domains and DNS" i have for it is "Web Re-directions" This what you mean?
I've pointed by domain at GoDaddy to use dns18.ovh.net and ns18.ovh.net too.[/QUOTE]

HAHA!

So i might of been wrong when i said the only option i "have" was Wed Re-Directions, as i thought that because all the rest had little red circles with a line through them because those aren't allowed for me as my domain isn't registered with OVH. Turns out the "DNS Zone" option is allowed, but because it has a red circle with a crosshair in it....i thought it was one of the ones i couldn't use! LOL

Surely you can understand why i got confused See this screenshot =

Anyways, MarkS! Cheers mate, have added my sub-domains, and it's now pinging away to my host and guests happily.

Thanks for your help

marks
06-04-2011, 13:56
Quote Originally Posted by BigDook
The only option under "Domains and DNS" i have for it is "Web Re-directions" This what you mean?
click on DNS zone and you should see your zone (or create DNS zone is it hasn't automatically been created).
There, you'll see the DNS servers that you've been assigned (it should be dns/ns18, but it's better to double-check).

Or do you mean setting up my sub-domains within my dedicated server screen, and it's option for the Secondary DNS Service?
No, the subdomains will have to be created in the DNS zone there in your manager. OVH will replicate the DNS zone in 2 DNS servers: ns18 and dns18, which should be enough.

BigDook
06-04-2011, 12:54
Marks, thanks for the response.

Have done what you suggested, and now under my "Domains" section in OVH manager i can see my domain. The only option under "Domains and DNS" i have for it is "Web Re-directions" This what you mean?

Or do you mean setting up my sub-domains within my dedicated server screen, and it's option for the Secondary DNS Service?

I've pointed by domain at GoDaddy to use dns18.ovh.net and ns18.ovh.net too.

marks
06-04-2011, 10:13
Hi guys
Now i have a domain registered with GoDaddy, no comments, i realise now i hard they suck I would like to get my domain pointing to my dedicated server, and then create sub-domains for the VM's.
If I understood it right, I'd like to offer you a simpler solution:
-The idea would be: create the DNS zone for your domain at OVH DNS servers (i.e.: dns18.ovh.net, ns18.ovh.net,...) and there, you can create your subdomains as you want.
-Advantages: you don't have to bother to configure and manage the DNS servers and it's for free.
-How:
You can add a new domain to your manager (even if it's not registered at OVH) here:

OVH Manager >> More services >> "Order a new domain or a domain transfer" >> enter the domain name >>
Activate email and web redirections (free service)

Once the DNS zone is created, you can add subdomains pointing to your VMs.

Final step is to change the name servers for your domain in the whois (in the other registrar you've mentioned) to point to OVH DNS servers (the ones you've been given when you create the DNS zone). You could also transfer the domain at OVH, of course

I believe that if you do this configuration, you'll get what you were looking for.

Let me know if it's of any help.

BigDook
06-04-2011, 09:08
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Five domains, not including subdomains, IIRC.

If that's not enough, you can always install a DNS server on your server.

Yes, but you'll need to set the nameservers for your domain to OVH's.
Naa, doesn't seem to work. When I do lookups from Dns testing websites I can see they point to Ovh dns servers, but it doesnt ping my servers despite setting them up on the secondary dns service within my manager.

YouWhat
05-04-2011, 18:17
5 seperate domains eg

1.com
2.com

etc

then you can set as many sub-domains as you like.

All you do is set the name servers in the domain control panel in godaddy site to the dns servers that they assign you for your domain, leave it a couple of hours and I find that it is usually live then.

BigDook
05-04-2011, 12:47
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel

Hey, so as long as i point my nameservers to OVH's dns servers, i can then add......as many domains/sub-domains as i want using OVH's secondary DNS service?

Razakel
05-04-2011, 12:44
Yeah i read a another post where someone mentioned em, and i checked em out too.

So is that 5 domains like (donkey.com, horse.com etc) or is that like total domains including sub-domains (abc.donkey.com, def.donkey.com etc)?

Cheers

3. Could i just add my domain entries and sub-domains into the OVH secondary DNS system, and would that just work fine?

BigDook
05-04-2011, 12:25
Yeah i read a another post where someone mentioned em, and i checked em out too.

So is that 5 domains like (donkey.com, horse.com etc) or is that like total domains including sub-domains (abc.donkey.com, def.donkey.com etc)?

Cheers

YouWhat
05-04-2011, 12:11
I use http://zoneedit.com for pointing my domains to my server.

They are free for upto 5 domains and I have never had a problem with it pointing domain from godaddy or any other registrar.

BigDook
05-04-2011, 11:37
Hi guys

Theres been a few posts on this, but i still haven't been able to figure out definitive answer.

I recently just got a OVH dedicated server, and would like to run VMWare ESXi on it, so it would use the main IP.

Then i would run say 3 VM's on it, each using the additional IP's i've been given.

Now i have a domain registered with GoDaddy, no comments, i realise now i hard they suck I would like to get my domain pointing to my dedicated server, and then create sub-domains for the VM's.

So for example dedi.example.com for my main server.
vm1.example.com for my first VM etc.

I understand the only way todo this, is to create a DNS server, and bind my domain to it. Which i've done, on one of my VM's, running Ubuntu. So not the main IP of my dedicated server. The domain is setup, i've added the references in the OVH Secondary DNS section, and pointed by GoDaddy domain to point to my Ubuntu VM DNS entry for it 1-2-3-4.ovh.net(example) which is running my DNS server as it's primary, then secondary and third entries to the 2 OVH dns servers.

But it ain't working. I can't ping my domain from the outside world at all.

OK, finally, my Questions

1. Is what i'm doing right, and will it work using a VM for the DNS rather than my actual dedicated server.
2. Is there a simplier way todo this?
3. Could i just add my domain entries and sub-domains into the OVH secondary DNS system, and would that just work fine?

Cheers guys