OVH Community, your new community space.

New user - some questions

Tz-OVH
04-07-2008, 10:28
Over 12hrs after payment confirmation and no setup...the site said there were quite a few boxes ready within 1hr???

There were no delays with kimsufis according to another post.

Tz-OVH
03-07-2008, 20:29
Just ordered a new kimsufi and extended the lease on another...ever since my first order, I can't find where my pending dedicated server orders are listed, I've completed payment and gotten confirmation, yet I can't see anywhere to show its being processed...

2 Orders, 4166643 & 4166663

Yianni
28-06-2008, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
By default you get RAID1. If you reinstall with Windows 2003 you don't lose the trial but if you go Linux then back to Windows you do lose the trial.

To change RAID setup you have to perform a reinstall of the OS. You have to make a small 30gb partition in RAID1 then the rest in RAID0 (from what I have been told, I don't have RAID).
The RAID 0 guide you mentioned works perfect in setting up RAID 0 in linux.

Getting RAID 0 to work with Windows is another story and I don't know anyone that has done is successfully.

Andy
28-06-2008, 16:26
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Andy, do you know if its possible to mention while selecting a server through the website, whether you want RAID0 or RAID1...there isn't any choice from what I can see, even in the plans that say "RAID 1/0"...if I have to make changes after I rent the server, then that would mean I lose out on the Win2003 trial.
By default you get RAID1. If you reinstall with Windows 2003 you don't lose the trial but if you go Linux then back to Windows you do lose the trial.

To change RAID setup you have to perform a reinstall of the OS. You have to make a small 30gb partition in RAID1 then the rest in RAID0 (from what I have been told, I don't have RAID).

Tz-OVH
28-06-2008, 15:56
Andy, do you know if its possible to mention while selecting a server through the website, whether you want RAID0 or RAID1...there isn't any choice from what I can see, even in the plans that say "RAID 1/0"...if I have to make changes after I rent the server, then that would mean I lose out on the Win2003 trial.

Andy
28-06-2008, 12:43
Windows 2003 Web Edition is free on all servers above the Kimsufi range but the other editions cost still, but you do still get the 2 month trial.

You are correct, OVH only allow 2 servers per month on 1 month renewals. If you want a 3rd server in the same month you must pay for 12 months up front.

Tz-OVH
28-06-2008, 09:18
Does this Win2003 2month trial only apply to Kimsufi boxes, or the entire range of dedicated servers?

I just ordered a Kimsufi for 1mo in addition to my current box, its Saturday, do orders get processed? I've already done the payment.

I was reading and found that you are only allowed 2 servers a month on 1mo contracts, so I need to wait till July to order my 3rd server if I want it for 1mo?

Andy
27-06-2008, 23:02
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
So if just before your 30 days is up you re install your server to something like linux then re install windows does this mean you have the trial again for 30 days?.
No. The trial instantly ends if you change to Linux, even if the 2 months is not up yet.

JALZOO
27-06-2008, 23:00
So if just before your 30 days is up you re install your server to something like linux then re install windows does this mean you have the trial again for 30 days?.

Andy
27-06-2008, 18:23
Unfortunately the prices are pretty much set by Microsoft. OVH can't afford to make them any cheaper so those prices will never change. OVH are going to make it possible to use your own licenses some time in the future (no ETA i'm afraid) which might be nice for those who can afford a few hundred quid for a license but pants for those who can't.

Tz-OVH
27-06-2008, 18:04
Hi Andy,

Thanks for that, very clear and easy to understand!

Pity about the Windows 2003 issue, I'd like to just rent a kimsufi for 6mo contracts, saves having to use a kimsufi for 2mo, then cancel it.

I read about the reseller options, hopefully us clients will get to buy stuff with even better offers in a while.

Tz

Andy
27-06-2008, 17:44
1) No, you can just not renew the server and it will expire.

2) Windows 2003 is charged at £10/month for Web Edition and £30/month for all other editions. Note: Web Edition has a max of 2GB usable RAM if used so you must use Standard/Enterprise for servers above Kimsufi XL to make use of all of its RAM.

3) You can renew it in the Manager. It is under Administration > My Services or Administration > My Invoices. You can do it from either.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or add me on MSN

Tz-OVH
27-06-2008, 17:35
Hi Guys

Just got my box, was installed in under 1hr...awesome.

I have a few questions:

1] I ordered an EG box for 1mo, with Win2003, if I don't want to renew it after 30days, am I required to manually cancel it?

2] I thought of just ordering a box for 3-6months, but it doesn't clearly mention what charges are for Win2003 after the free 2months of usage, could I get some info on this?

3] Where do I renew the server lease if I want it for a 2nd month? I read the help file, it says in the Manager, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!