OVH Community, your new community space.

MSG FOR ADMIN: I can't login with putty on new server. Plz help

ecadre
28-06-2008, 14:46
Quote Originally Posted by SkillMenta
EDIT: I also don't like how I don't know what's installed. I'm a linux noob and have never installed software such as LAMP by myself. If I use the reinstall OS option in the manager will I have access to the Ubuntu installer via putty? i.e. When I put the ubuntu server disc into my home server I can run through the installer and choos to install:

LAMP
openssh
DNS server
postgresql server
etc.

This would be a lot easier for me as opposed to installing manually.
Thanks
Oh, also, although I don't know what OVH actually do, I can be pretty safe in saying that there is no support bod popping in an Ubuntu installation disk, in fact would not be an Ubuntu installer running at all.

They will be copying an image of an Ubuntu setup and it is quite possible that OVH enabled the root login in their setup.

There is plenty of debate of the sudo/root issue but my feeling is that the argument for using sudo is primarily a desktop user issue. This is a server and server admins like root.

There are ways of making root login more secure with things like using an encrypted key instead of passwords and limiting entry to certain ip addresses.

ecadre
28-06-2008, 14:21
Quote Originally Posted by SkillMenta
EDIT: I also don't like how I don't know what's installed. I'm a linux noob and have never installed software such as LAMP by myself. If I use the reinstall OS option in the manager will I have access to the Ubuntu installer via putty? i.e. When I put the ubuntu server disc into my home server I can run through the installer and choos to install:

LAMP
openssh
DNS server
postgresql server
etc.

Thanks

I don't have an OVH Dedicated/Private server, but I do use Debian, which Ubuntu is derived from and with which it shares the same packaging system.

There is a command line programme (actually it opens up in ncurses, you'll see what I mean when you open it) called aptitude that you can use.

Simply put in the command "aptitude" and you will get it. It is reasonably straightforward but it is well worth using a little time to learn about it before getting too lost in it.

You can also do searches straight from the command line of the package lists updated from the repositories:

aptitude search search-term

This will return a list of packages including that term in their name or description and indicate whether they are installed or not.

Aptitude can also install and remove packages straight from the command line:

aptitude install package-name
aptitude remove package-name

It can also to updates and upgrades to your system:

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade

Personally I prefer to use aptitude commands over the apt-get ones as aptitude has better package handling capabilities.

I hope that helps.

SkillMenta
28-06-2008, 13:09
It's Ubuntu and I was also told root is disabled / should never use.
root actually worked! I'm surprised at this 1 = because it's bad practice to use root account 2= because the email says username= admin!!

I think they were having a laugh with me.

Well I've heard good things about the system / price but bad things about the support. I know which one is a priority for me! At least I'm anyway.

Thanks for the help guy.. I'm off to find out how to diable the root account.

Cheers

p.s. I'll remember to include my nichhandle etc. next time, thanks for the advice

LAMP
openssh
DNS server
postgresql server
etc.

Thanks

phillip
28-06-2008, 13:03
In Debian the root username is root and enabled.
When asking for help in the forums is best add you nichhandle and servername so OVH staff can give assistance. A ping and traceroute also helps.

SkillMenta
28-06-2008, 12:57
Thanks for the reply Andy.

In an email it says:

The administrator account has been configured with the following settings:
User name: admin
Password: ****
But I haven't recieved an email with that exact title. I would maybe think it's not ready but I can get to the login screen in putty so that tells me it's working.

I can't get through to anyone at OVH do you know where I can speak to them? If they don't provide a weekend service ( which due to the website you are led to beleive they do ) then there should be a premium rate number to speak to a tech.

p.s. In ubuntu / debian it's setup so you should never have to login as root. In fact the root account is disabled until you make a password for it. I would be very surprised if OVH have enabled this account. You only need to use the sudo cmd to execute admin cmds.

Thanks for your reply Andy, it's a shame the customers are giving support as opposed to the company lol

Andy
28-06-2008, 12:41
The default username for all servers is usually "root" not admin. The details come in the same e-mail as the "Server XXXXX now online" e-mail. Passwords are case sensitive too to make sure you have that right.

SkillMenta
28-06-2008, 12:00
Hi everyone,

I've just registered on this forum because I've just bought a kimi08 but now I can't login via SSH & putty. I tried using the 'admin' login and password that was emailed to me but it doesn't work. I've also tried using my nichhandle and that password but that doesn't work either.

I've tried calling tech support but surprisingly no-one is answering the fone. It states on the website 'open between 9-6' I think most ppl, like me would assume that meant 7 days a week as a server is going to be running 24-7.

So far a bit disappointed with the support although
I have heard good things about the network / hardware.

Could someone please look into this. I will not be happy if I have to wait till Monday.

Thanks