OVH Community, your new community space.

Setting Up for Google Apps

herra
16-04-2011, 17:55
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I'll try it now
---

Well.. I know it takes a while to propogtae.. but.. I typed it all in.. nothing shows up,, I see two NS lines, an "A" line and a "AAAA" line. The rest are CNAME. So where are the addresses I've just typed in?

----
Ok now I "Force" them and they show up. Fingers crossed. ... yup that seems to have done the trick.. many thanks

Myatu
16-04-2011, 14:37
Login to your OVH Manager and select the domain name which you wish to edit. Then on your left side, you will see "Website Hosting" and underneath the option "Domains & DNS", which you select.

From the icons on the next screen, on the second row, you have one called "DNS Zone".

In the DNS Zone, you will find your existing MX records, listed in the table at the end of the page (if any). I highly recommend you record this current information before you change/delete it.

To add the MX records to your DNS Zone, click on the "MX Type" icon, found on the 3rd row from top on this screen. Leave the "Subdomain" field empty, unless you are using something like "johndoe@mail.mysite.com", in which case you use "mail" as the subdomain.

As for priorities, OVH only allows 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100. As Google explains, simply keep the same order of priorities in this case (where 1 is highest, 100 is lowest). So in your case:

Code:
ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 1
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 5
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 5
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
As the "Destination", you enter one of the full domains provided by Google, excluding the trailing period/dot (so only "ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM" - no period [.] at the end!).

Click "Validate" to add this MX record to the DNS Zone. Changes may take as long as 24 hours to become apparent on servers throughout the world.

Hope this helps

herra
16-04-2011, 13:55
The Google Apps page has lots of specific info for changing MX records on a whole host of hosting companies.
Unfortuantely, nothing on how to change the OVH set up.

Can any one help please?

This is what it suggests:

Set up email delivery

Changing Mail Exchange (MX) records

Mail Exchange (MX) records control how incoming email is routed for your domain. Before Google can host your email, you'll need to change these MX records to point to our servers.

If your domain already has email addresses, please be careful changing MX records. To avoid disruption in email service, be sure to create the same set of user accounts with the control panel before changing your MX records Learn more

If you're not ready to change your MX records yet, use the temporary email address (@mcgintyschool.com.test-google-a.com) assigned to your user accounts when you create them. The temporary email address will be deactivated once you change the MX records. You must also verify domain ownership before using any Google Apps.

Showing instructions for

Sign in to your domain hosting company's website using the username and password associated with your domain.

Navigate to an MX record maintenance page. MX records are special DNS (Domain Name Service) records, and are often located under sections titled "DNS Management," "Mail Server Configuration," or "Name Server Management." You may need to turn on advanced settings to allow editing of these MX records.

Delete any existing MX records before entering new MX records.

For each MX record, enter information according to the entries in the following table.

You may not be allowed to enter the priority values exactly as they appear in the table below; in that case, simply ensure that the server addresses are prioritized in the same order as they appear in the table. (i.e. The priority ranking [1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5] should work just as well as [1, 5, 5, 10, 10, 10, 10] so long as you keep the addresses in the right order.)

If you're asked to specify the type of each record you're adding, enter "MX".

MX records often require the specific format of DNS records, including a trailing dot (".") at the end of any full-qualified domain names (e.g. "server.example.com.")

Set any TTL values to the maximum allowed.
MX Server address Priority
ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 30

Change the SPF record to fight SPAM (optional)

You may define the SPF record to authorize only certain IP addresses to send email for your domain. This will prevent spammers from sending unauthorized email under a forged address from your domain.
Thanks