OVH Community, your new community space.

Under DDoS again, no phone support, e-mail support not replying, incident line crap

Winit
09-05-2011, 19:15
Quote Originally Posted by marks
there is more to talk about the DDoS attack than just try not to annoy anyone out there or you'll be attacked.
The Internet doesn't tolerate ranting kids like Andy.

Andy
09-05-2011, 13:15
Well the OVH servers might encourage a little better response time if nothing else.

Iray
09-05-2011, 12:44
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Thank you marks. He's on my ignore list now anyway.

I feel I must apologise to Neil for my own behaviour last week. It was not a go at him personally, more a go at the practices of OVH in general. I hope I haven't offended you

Anyway regardless of that, I went ahead and ordered an EG BestOF server last night before the new series comes in (frankly the new series is not worth £40+VAT more for double the RAM and 1TB extra HDD if the FR prices are anything to go by).

Why? OVH are the cheapest to offer the hardware I need and our "relationship" has been pretty rock solid since I started. My only gripe really is the support I wish it was so much better especially when it comes to things like attacks. Obviously loyalty doesn't help when it comes to support either
I agree. But you know the drill.. 24/7 support $rent = ++£ x 24 x 7

Andy
09-05-2011, 12:30
Thank you marks. He's on my ignore list now anyway.

I feel I must apologise to Neil for my own behaviour last week. It was not a go at him personally, more a go at the practices of OVH in general. I hope I haven't offended you

Anyway regardless of that, I went ahead and ordered an EG BestOF server last night before the new series comes in (frankly the new series is not worth £40+VAT more for double the RAM and 1TB extra HDD if the FR prices are anything to go by).

Why? OVH are the cheapest to offer the hardware I need and our "relationship" has been pretty rock solid since I started. My only gripe really is the support I wish it was so much better especially when it comes to things like attacks. Obviously loyalty doesn't help when it comes to support either

marks
09-05-2011, 10:39
They're included with the French EG series and up for the '11 series, provided you have the Professional option. In the UK it's still Professional fee + £19 + £149 setup. Not sure if that'll change once the range is updated.
As usual, coming in the following weeks to the UK.

@winit: tone down your comments. Andy's complaint is legitimate, and there is more to talk about the DDoS attack than just try not to annoy anyone out there or you'll be attacked.

Andy
09-05-2011, 00:04
Exactly.

Just got an EG-10R BestOF now anyway. Better SLA for one thing so hopefully none of this crap.

Iray
08-05-2011, 16:19
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
You did something to attract it. Your attitude stinks, you probably pissed someone off. Tread carefully in future!
LOLWUT?

Myatu
08-05-2011, 01:11
The type of DDoS was a simple flood. It hammered the server's NIC and made it almost inaccessible. It wasn't a resource-overloading DDoS in that it overloads the server itself, only it's connection. It made the pings erratic and dropped connections like no tomorrow. I couldn't get access via SSH or RDP, but I could occasionally get the website to load.
I see. I do think the Cisco ASA could have reduced the effectiveness of that, but there's a cheaper solution as well if you don't need high-throughput UDP, which is adding a mC or VPS as a front-end with a stateful firewall. If you couple that with a QoS'ed link between that and your server, then you could essentially build your own firewall for, what, £5 to £7.30 a month - a bit cheaper than the £34 + £149 setup fee. Perhaps not as efficient, but could mitigate a full scale meltdown...

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Not checked the cost as of recent for proper ovh kvm, but I think that's cheaper than the firewall?
They're included with the French EG series and up for the '11 series, provided you have the Professional option. In the UK it's still Professional fee + £19 + £149 setup. Not sure if that'll change once the range is updated.

RapidSpeeds
07-05-2011, 21:30
The type of DDoS was a simple flood. It hammered the server's NIC and made it almost inaccessible. It wasn't a resource-overloading DDoS in that it overloads the server itself, only it's connection. It made the pings erratic and dropped connections like no tomorrow. I couldn't get access via SSH or RDP, but I could occasionally get the website to load.
That's what KVM over IP via a Seperate IP is perfect for.

Can get into your server to perform anything you need to (and block/modify), without the expensive usage of a firewall.

Not checked the cost as of recent for proper ovh kvm, but I think that's cheaper than the firewall?

I don't know Andy, maybe even buy yourself a licence for Windows, which will give you more disposable cash to spend on a 1Gbps server - you will save money in the long run

Winit
07-05-2011, 21:14
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
So being DDoSed means it's your fault? I once got DDoSed by a German neo-Nazi who I'd reported to the police for something fairly serious. What exactly are you meant to do?
You're meant to remain anonymous!

Andy
07-05-2011, 18:44

Razakel
07-05-2011, 17:31
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
lolwut.

You did something to attract it. Your attitude stinks, you probably pissed someone off. Tread carefully in future!
So being DDoSed means it's your fault? I once got DDoSed by a German neo-Nazi who I'd reported to the police for something fairly serious. What exactly are you meant to do?

Myatu
07-05-2011, 17:29
Completely unrelated. 3 other sites with a similar theme to my own also got hit. The attack was only about 100Mbps which saturated the port.
Just curious what type of DDoS this was, do you know? For instance, was it just a handful of IPs repeatedly hammering your server? Or a mass of IPs (drones, such as a bot-net) sending just a few packets at a time?

Winit
07-05-2011, 15:22
Go and get a life.
Truth hurts! Fact the facts!

Andy
07-05-2011, 11:12
Completely unrelated. 3 other sites with a similar theme to my own also got hit. The attack was only about 100Mbps which saturated the port.

Winit can also meet my ignore list as well.

LawsHosting
07-05-2011, 10:45
Do you/they know the origin of the attack? As ResellerClub had an attack yesterday on their NS/DNS servers for hours, may be related:
Here are some more details about the DDOS Attack.
* We were hit by 1,20,000 qps per server
* Which was using 500Mbps bandwidth
Nearly 100/24 subnets (254000 ips) from China participated in that attack. All of these IP Addresses have been Blocked.
Quick question, I assume if theres a virtual rack for our servers, we would only need one firewall?

and @winit, meet my ignore list:
This message is hidden because Winit is on your ignore list.

Andy
06-05-2011, 23:44
Go and get a life.

Winit
06-05-2011, 23:42
lolwut.

Andy
06-05-2011, 22:31
Erm, you realise anyone can get DDoS'ed right? OVH have had it many times. ANY server can be DDoS'ed. Go and troll someone else...

Winit
06-05-2011, 22:13
Cheapskate. Take your nasty DDoS-attracting server to a bulletproof Russian host.

Andy
03-05-2011, 16:54
I can't afford to take out a firewall that costs over 1/2 the price of my server. It's just not feasible. None of the OVH staff suggested I get a firewall at any point except for yourself in your first reply, but even that was after I had mentioned it.

You're also forgetting the VAT on top of the £35 - but that's not what we're disputing here. I spoke to a friend last night who has an OVH server and he feels he can't get as much out of his server than he would like because the professional usage fee is holding him back. £15+VAT for professional usage on top of the additional cost of the service you want is laughable. Sure people pay it, but that's because they have little choice.

Also the minimum bandwidth block cost is stupid too. I got limited to 10Mbps 3 days before the end of the month last month and there was no way I was going to pay £30+VAT for 2TB of bandwidth I couldn't use. Had it been a 250GB block for example for £5 I'd probably buy it. Just a suggestion for that department.

Neil
03-05-2011, 16:50
I pay £60 a month, not £35. Even so I would expect a reply to the 3 e-mails I sent to you yesterday, yet I did not. If you can't reply in a reasonable time (reasonable would be under 3 hours) then why do you offer support at all? I would say I was quite patient.

I understand you can't give away expensive equipment for free, my point was the "hidden" costs of requiring professional usage on top. It looks like a really nice deal until you realise professional use is needed on top, then you add VAT to both and the price has doubled. It's just not fair when you look at it that way.

The reply to my tickets were not satisfactory - I have seen similar replies before - it's scripted. Instead of saying "sorry we can't do that, but getting a firewall may help" they just say "your server is blocked to protect it" and be done with it. That's not helpful to me.

Would things be any different if I had an OVH server and not a Kimsufi? I doubt it given reports I've seen from others.

Please don't see the above as a personal attack on yourself or any of the other customer support staff, you can only do what you're told you can do. However I and many others would like to see a lot of improvement to the support system, and the pricing structure that is currently in place.
Hi

The server in question is costs £35 since the other money is lost to Microsoft, we had email support yesterday, but there were other pirtoiy emails. The incident team replied to you promptly yesterday and were in contact with you several times thought the day. There is nothing we can do, they explained in the ticket that your server was being attacked and they can remove the protection when the attack is over. This would of been the same for an OVH Server, but replies would of been quicker on the ticket, the suggestion would of been to order a firewall as well.

The professional use is not a stealth revenue, I can see that a large percentage of our customers have it, as it is required for a wide range additional services, from RIPE Blocks, to vRack, to Firewalls. We have had it for 2 years and there are no plans to change it.

From what I have seen there is nothing we could improve on, apart from replied to your email yesterday, your incident tickets were dealt with promptly and the suggestion to order a firewall for your DDOS attacks should be taken seriously as this is not the first time.

Andy
03-05-2011, 12:49
I pay £60 a month, not £35. Even so I would expect a reply to the 3 e-mails I sent to you yesterday, yet I did not. If you can't reply in a reasonable time (reasonable would be under 3 hours) then why do you offer support at all? I would say I was quite patient.

I understand you can't give away expensive equipment for free, my point was the "hidden" costs of requiring professional usage on top. It looks like a really nice deal until you realise professional use is needed on top, then you add VAT to both and the price has doubled. It's just not fair when you look at it that way.

The reply to my tickets were not satisfactory - I have seen similar replies before - it's scripted. Instead of saying "sorry we can't do that, but getting a firewall may help" they just say "your server is blocked to protect it" and be done with it. That's not helpful to me.

Would things be any different if I had an OVH server and not a Kimsufi? I doubt it given reports I've seen from others.

Please don't see the above as a personal attack on yourself or any of the other customer support staff, you can only do what you're told you can do. However I and many others would like to see a lot of improvement to the support system, and the pricing structure that is currently in place.

Neil
03-05-2011, 12:41
Hi Andy

Your server had 100Mbps incoming attack and your server is 100Mbps, so automatically placed in protection to stop other customers complaining about the connectivity issues to their servers, if we didn't they would all complain as well. Your server is not blocked, the requests to your server are limited, depending on the attack sometimes the server still works, sometimes it doesn't.

You want us to protect your server from a DDOS attack, then order a firewall, you asked for them, we now offer them, We cannot protect your server and 90,000 other servers for just a Kimsufi, via our routers and switches - that is managed and we do not offer managed services. We do block DDOS but not for individual servers (yes someone targeted your server only), we only block for network management.

The firewalls are very popular now because, I am sorry if you cannot afford them, but we can just give them away for free.... http://www.google.com/search?q=cisco...=shop%3A1&aq=f Most servers have the professional use because of RIPE Block Pricing and other services, this will not change.

I have checked your ticket and is replied twice to you in under 2 hours, for a Kimsufi I would say that was acceptable, but if you expect us to drop everything and run to your Kimsufi server when it gets individually targeted and you don't have a firewall then sorry OVH cannot do that for £35 a month.

The protection on your server is lifted after the attack is over, I guess when access to your server is returned you find out the IP's and contact the datacentre and get the server suspended.

Andy
02-05-2011, 14:28
To whoever might actually bother to read this on a bank holiday...

I am under DDoS again, and as per usual nobody at OVH seems capable of helping me.

• Phone support is closed, presumably because they can't be bothered.
  • E-mail support is not replying, despite 2 e-mails in the last 4 hours. Again I presume they just can't be bothered.
  • The incident line is pointless because they're all French who don't seem to understand English and insist on going by a damn script rather than helping me with the real problem.

I'm getting increasingly pissed off with OVH support. Every time I have an incident, it's worse support than the last time. What happened to 24 hour English support via both e-mail and phone? We were promised this 2 YEARS AGO. We still do not have it.

Secondly whenever I seem to suffer an attack, OVH get cold feet and just block my server from the network, thus doubling my problems, rather than solving the cause and putting DDoS protection in place. You HAVE that capability, don't you deny it, I've seen you use it, so why don't you seem capable of using it for loyal customers such as myself? I've been with OVH over 3 years now and I haven't seen so much of a hint of that kind of support.

I've used other providers and they jumped to my request when I asked them to put DDoS protection on my server. It worked 100% flawlessly.

Third, I was looking at the Firewall offers just in case it became necessary. £19/month... Fair, yes? No. Stick another £15/month on top of that PLUS VAT, PLUS £149+VAT setup fee. Not looking so good an offer now is it?

For crying out loud STOP with the damn professional use fee. It's just a money making scheme and WE DON'T LIKE IT. OVH used to be honest about everything, open about their prices, nothing was hidden. What changed? All OVH do now is try to con you out of more money for something that is obviously way over charged. For example the USB disks. You need the professional use option + pay £8/month for the disk. 2 months later that disk is paid for yet you continue to pay extortionate prices for it. It's ridiculous.

So, is anyone going to help me with my DDoS issue or are you all going to sit there pretending it's a day off?

You have my phone number on your database, you've had 2 e-mails from me and there is a ticket open that is not getting resolved.

SORT IT OUT OVH.

NIC: AW1188-OVH.

Lets hope I NEVER have to do that again.