OVH Community, your new community space.

What servers do you get winserver 2003 web edition free?

Andy
30-06-2008, 18:28
Quote Originally Posted by hyster
I have 2 old superplan large with 2 x 750 drives with win web. These one had 2 gig of ram and would love another if only OVH would build some more of these. I think a lot of users would take these ones so they can run Win web 2003.

Top server and with web 2003 a real bargain. Please please please OVH can we have some more.

Thanks
I agree. I would have updated to a Kimsufi 08 XXL if the hard disk space was the same or more as my current deal (the old Large++). I think the loss of disk space is a let down for the new deals.

hyster
30-06-2008, 17:04
I have 2 old superplan large with 2 x 750 drives with win web. These one had 2 gig of ram and would love another if only OVH would build some more of these. I think a lot of users would take these ones so they can run Win web 2003.

Top server and with web 2003 a real bargain. Please please please OVH can we have some more.

Thanks

IainK
30-06-2008, 10:40
Personally, i'd rather save the cash and the memory and go for Linux
But for those of you that really want Windows Server this is a problem Microsoft have caused .They chose to bring out a limited OS for a low low price (compared to the other editions anyway) and they chose to limit it to 2GB ram and 1 CPU.
As for OVH, the servers don't cost enough to include a Windows Server Std Edition license when you think of how much bandwidth you get and the hardware.

Yianni
30-06-2008, 08:29
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
Well how pointless is that.. Considering web edition can only handle 2GB and the superplan servers have atleast 4GB ram.. Cant understand it TBH
It's called marketing.

Give something of less value for free and of course have the option for the real thing there so people will either upgrade later on purchase it to start with.

You will find though that a lot of servers will be ok even with 2GB ram visible. It all depends on what you do and how resource hungry your applications are. Some might prefer to save the 30 Pounds if things work fine with the web version of windows.

Cheers

Andy
29-06-2008, 19:47
Quote Originally Posted by JALZOO
Well how pointless is that.. Considering web edition can only handle 2GB and the superplan servers have atleast 4GB ram.. Cant understand it TBH
I presume its unchanged since before the reloaded range when the servers in the Large range didn't have as much RAM.

JALZOO
29-06-2008, 19:23

Andy
29-06-2008, 16:58
Any server above Kimsufi. So if your server doesn't have kimsufi in the name then Windows Server 2003 Web Edition is free on that server. But it would be pointless having it since Web Edition only allows you to see 2GB of the RAM you have installed.

JALZOO
29-06-2008, 16:46
Confused..

Questions in the title :P