OVH Community, your new community space.

Unmetered Servers

Gary Spires
11-05-2011, 12:42
ok thanks

Andy
11-05-2011, 12:31
Should be no impact providing you're within your bandwidth. You'll more likely see streams stuttering than websites slowing down.

Gary Spires
11-05-2011, 12:18
Ok thanks for that. Will look at metered.

Will a stream affect web site traffic on say a 1gig connection. I already have a server running a stream with about 15 sites on it as well. Its all well within the limits of bandwidth, just wondered how much impact it would have on site loading times etc.

Gary

Andy
11-05-2011, 12:12
Unlimited is all low priority bandwidth, which is no good for streaming. You need to select the traffic series (normal bandwidth) for streaming or you'll find streams frequently stuttering.

Peering = Free links and often only exist within Europe. Unlimited works best over these.
Transit = Links that cost a lot and go to USA, etc. Unlimited works horribly over these because OVH don't want to pay the extra cost.

Gary Spires
11-05-2011, 10:05
Hi

Would the unmetered servers be suitable to run shoutcast on? I would be looking at only one/two streams, each getting no more than say 150 listeners peak. The stream would be at 128k.

It says they run at 100 Mbps, but what does ** Unlimited traffic on peering, low priority on the "transit". mean?

I don't want to get a server which is only going to last a couple of months.

Gary