We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Feedback


creative
26-03-2008, 18:49
I am greatfull to be tester, so here is my feedback until now:

First, nichandle was fast, but setting details weren't, I think there was a french thread talking about that, so if wasn't it, everything would be faster as well, because I received them when the problem were solved.

Than I tried some things, and I reinstall OS, but a different one, it was from Gentoo to Debian 4.0.
It was very fast (30/40 min) and new email was instantanly. Very impressive.

Speeds I couldn't as I wish, so I will od it later and give my feedback.
Anyway, I remeber Download reached at least 7Mb/s and Upload 2 Mb/s but it was a small test, I also will check this later.

So until nnow, everything is working properly.

Again, thanks.

Worm
26-03-2008, 08:52
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
More RAM will not affect the speed. The max is 12,5 MB/s.. and the Kimsufi will stay with 256MB RAM because :

- now there is the RPS1 with 512Mo
- or the Start100M with 512Mo too
I was not hitting the max speed, as my post stated

johnstevens
25-03-2008, 17:34
the only drawback ive noticed so far is the routing to scandinavian countries,which is bad-thats all ;P

Bruno
25-03-2008, 02:52
Quote Originally Posted by Worm
The Kimsufi range could definetely be improved with more RAM, and I will happily test these wonderful OVH machines again in the future :-)
More RAM will not affect the speed. The max is 12,5 MB/s.. and the Kimsufi will stay with 256MB RAM because :

- now there is the RPS1 with 512Mo
- or the Start100M with 512Mo too

Worm
25-03-2008, 01:17
I have been extensively testing the Kimsufi range, and have found Remote Desktop to be sometimes unresponsive, due to the lack of more ram. To really use this server properly, I would put the price up a few quid, and upgrade the ram to 512mb/1gb. The speeds are so so, ranging from 4mB/s to 6mB/s before getting disk overload, and the upload are decent, hanging around at roughly 3mB/s to another server.

The Kimsufi range could definetely be improved with more RAM, and I will happily test these wonderful OVH machines again in the future :-)

M101
22-03-2008, 23:53
BTW: have you ever seen a hosting company before where its manager is talking to his customers in forum?
Yes lol, its becoming more common.

One thing I would say is the whole thing with emailing UK support and getting french replies.

oles@ovh.net
21-03-2008, 18:46
sledge0303 a écrit:
>
> krogothzero;1494 Wrote:
>> The english there is kinda bad although it gets the message accross.

>
> to be honest... I don't know how hosting companies in UK are working
> but these small grammar and spelling error makes OVH different to all
> other companies. It's exactly the same like here with german support
> team.
> You can call OVH something like a 'family establishment', you can see
> and feel there are humans behind the scenes who are working for and no
> machines or wannabe perfect peoples neither. That's why I call OVH as
> charmant company with 'french accent'


nice thanks !


sledge0303
21-03-2008, 09:41
Quote Originally Posted by krogothzero
The english there is kinda bad although it gets the message accross.
to be honest... I don't know how hosting companies in UK are working but these small grammar and spelling error makes OVH different to all other companies. It's exactly the same like here with german support team.
You can call OVH something like a 'family establishment', you can see and feel there are humans behind the scenes who are working for and no machines or wannabe perfect peoples neither. That's why I call OVH as charmant company with 'french accent'

BTW: have you ever seen a hosting company before where its manager is talking to his customers in forum?

Greetz and happy Easter to all from Berlin, Germany

krogothzero
20-03-2008, 18:04
Quote Originally Posted by Reboot the server on manager
Your server is under disturb, you are not allowed to perform a hard reboot by yourself
The english there is kinda bad although it gets the message accross.

Addicted
19-03-2008, 19:45
random crashes every now and again, but apart from that, very nice.

just a shame we can't get more RAM

McAllister
19-03-2008, 11:49
Had some problems with my kimsufi's hdd,but it has been replaced almost instantly. Very good job.

cHeGa
17-03-2008, 23:34
Everything is fine.Who need faster server,he will pay more.Thats my opinion.

DeadCell
17-03-2008, 21:54
I think that overall i have no complaints, very good uptime actually beats the uptime of my home PC, speeds are ok, and as said above i have forgotten about the short amount of ram. I found you customer support very good and sorted any problems i had out with 3 hours, which in my books is good.

Keep it up OVH team, your grrrrrreat...

Spac3
17-03-2008, 19:50
Just thought Id give you a quick update on the sufi....pretty short, and sweet really...

Seems too just still do whatever I want it....Its actually a little wolf in sheeps clothing...speeds are mega solid, uptime absolutely solid, routing too home solid, actually,

You know...

This just works, and works very very well...Ive even forgotten about the 256 of ram, and just actually so suprises at how good this is for the money (ok its free , but for anyone buying one, very impressive)....

Will keep putting it through the paces, and that routing change you guys did is just tremendous....


Spac3
07-03-2008, 19:41
Quote Originally Posted by Allot
Thank you for taking the time to review the server and post your findings on here, we really do appreciate this. With regards to the delay in our response, we have to be careful in what we suggest with regards to the RAID options as, due to the nature of RAID, we do not want our customers to loose their data because of our suggestions. Of course, we apologise for this delay in our research as we try maintain our high standard and answer every email as soon as possible.

Allot
I can appreciate that on the raid, no point saying "do this or do that" and data just dissapears, it would be nice though if people did get an option on the raided boxses for the setup they wanted, and obviously if it was striped then a disclaimer, thatwhen they accept the orders, they accept the terms that any data loss incurred is their own responsibility, Im sure people would be happy enough with that.

Bandiwdth wise, well IVe seen the suffi pulling/pushing the full 100 meg speeds which again was something I was shocked by but also plesantly suprised with

Gotta hand it too you guys though, for the specs, these little sufi`s sure do well, Im actually suprised at how sturdy they are.

Ive got a few other things to try out on it so Ill keep you posted on any issues I bump into but all in all it does exactly what it says

All in all , for a budget entry in the server market, Im pretty impressed, so keep up the good work, keep improving the service and own the world

Heres the ping and tracerout from my virgin home line

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.


Pinging 91.121.94.216 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 91.121.94.216: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=46
Reply from 91.121.94.216: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=46
Reply from 91.121.94.216: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=46
Reply from 91.121.94.216: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 91.121.94.216:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 33ms

tracert 91.121.94.216

Tracing route to ks353505.kimsufi.com [91.121.94.216]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.2.1
2 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.129.64.1
3 55 ms 36 ms 9 ms 62-31-64-193.cable.ubr06.brad.blueyonder.co.uk [
62.31.64.193]
4 18 ms 15 ms 88 ms pc-62-30-251-61-ro.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.251.6
1]
5 14 ms 34 ms 49 ms lee-bb-b-ge-300-0.inet.ntl.com [195.182.178.94]

6 16 ms 19 ms 14 ms lee-bb-a-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.187.185]
7 29 ms 32 ms 22 ms nth-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.101]

8 21 ms 22 ms 26 ms tele-ic-1-as0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.184.2]
9 21 ms 23 ms 22 ms 193.159.225.237
10 31 ms 29 ms 30 ms 217.239.38.162
11 31 ms * 29 ms 010G.th2-1-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.205]
12 32 ms * * 020G.rbx-2-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.201]
13 37 ms 33 ms 33 ms rbx-28-m1.routers.ovh.net [213.251.191.207]
14 35 ms 33 ms 35 ms ks353505.kimsufi.com [xx.xx.xx.xx]

Trace complete.

Allot
07-03-2008, 18:59
Quote Originally Posted by Spac3
From initial testing, the sufi seems pretty damn sturdy. Bandiwdth wise, I assume everyone got an email from you guys saying "your bandwidth has been changed to 100,000 kbs, ie, 1gbit.

Which would be nice, but with only 256mb of ram, and the non raid disk, I dont quite think these are gonna get near that.

Cant say Ive had any real issues Oles, its pretty much just worked, and I have tried too break it.

I did order me a gbit server after testing the sufi as I was quite impressed and its lush...

The only gripe I have is the support. Its taken a few days too get emails answered (pretty much about the raid setup). Would be nice if you had an option when ordering too pick which raid setup youd like as I definatly didnt see one on ordering.

And Oles, this is the UK, not france. People here would be willing too pay a few more pounds amonth for that extra stick of ram. Were quite liberal with money, so if its going too make a differrence, we will pay for it, and the price range the sufi`s come in at too start with are cheap as chips so its a good entry price point that can be well handled with a few extra £ on for an extra stick of ram.

Not every one runs linux, if you stick windows on a sufi, its gonna suck 200mb of that 256 ram.

Anyway, having fun trying too break it, will be nice once yoru support end is up too speed but was impressed so much with the basic sufi , It made me order an http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/egplus.xml



Spacey
Thank you for taking the time to review the server and post your findings on here, we really do appreciate this. With regards to the delay in our response, we have to be careful in what we suggest with regards to the RAID options as, due to the nature of RAID, we do not want our customers to loose their data because of our suggestions. Of course, we apologise for this delay in our research as we try maintain our high standard and answer every email as soon as possible.

Allot

arewenotmen
04-03-2008, 23:26
I'm quite pleased with the performance so far - I'm running Webmin on Gentoo - but it's +1 for the extra RAM from me. Even 384 would be a start. Otherwise the machine is quite powerful. I'm not certain I'd pay when the trial runs out - it seems likely, but more RAM would swing it for me.

Network performance, no complaints. I get about 500kb/sec down when I'm transferring stuff from my old dedicated server.

Actually I'm very impressed with Webmin/OVHm - I think you could improve the visuals a little to convince more people, but it surprised me how good a free control panel can be, having been lumbered with the dreadful Ensim for five years. The OVHm integration is very good and made my life much easier. Subdomains could be better, i.e. redirects etc, and it'd be nice to be able to specify no quotas for individual sites, but both are OK.

Spac3
04-03-2008, 20:18
From initial testing, the sufi seems pretty damn sturdy. Bandiwdth wise, I assume everyone got an email from you guys saying "your bandwidth has been changed to 100,000 kbs, ie, 1gbit.

Which would be nice, but with only 256mb of ram, and the non raid disk, I dont quite think these are gonna get near that.

Cant say Ive had any real issues Oles, its pretty much just worked, and I have tried too break it.

I did order me a gbit server after testing the sufi as I was quite impressed and its lush...

The only gripe I have is the support. Its taken a few days too get emails answered (pretty much about the raid setup). Would be nice if you had an option when ordering too pick which raid setup youd like as I definatly didnt see one on ordering.

And Oles, this is the UK, not france. People here would be willing too pay a few more pounds amonth for that extra stick of ram. Were quite liberal with money, so if its going too make a differrence, we will pay for it, and the price range the sufi`s come in at too start with are cheap as chips so its a good entry price point that can be well handled with a few extra £ on for an extra stick of ram.

Not every one runs linux, if you stick windows on a sufi, its gonna suck 200mb of that 256 ram.

Anyway, having fun trying too break it, will be nice once yoru support end is up too speed but was impressed so much with the basic sufi , It made me order an http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/egplus.xml



Spacey

JALZOO
04-03-2008, 17:13
Im on the Start 100M L+ Bandwidth great, Support Great! Server setup in less than 1 hour havent had any down time yet!. Thanks ovh

sledge0303
04-03-2008, 17:07
Hi,

many thanks to Andy and fozle for informations about your routing. I have some friends in UK and they always complain about low speed to my at OVH located servers. I wonder why but keep an eye on it anyway.
Many thanks again.

Thomas

fozl
04-03-2008, 12:56
1 home () 0.794 ms 0.456 ms 1.428 ms
2 btdhg564-hg2.ealing.broadband.bt.net (217.47.196.73) 45.310 ms 47.000 ms 45.239 ms
3 217.47.196.1 (217.47.196.1) 45.310 ms 217.47.196.34 (217.47.196.34) 46.717 ms 217.47.196.2 (217.47.196.2) 46.885 ms
4 217.47.196.110 (217.47.196.110) 62.566 ms 56.242 ms 49.254 ms
5 217.47.219.154 (217.47.219.154) 47.287 ms 228.141 ms 51.127 ms
6 217.41.168.29 (217.41.168.29) 47.253 ms 54.358 ms 55.125 ms
7 217.41.168.134 (217.41.168.134) 47.342 ms 56.707 ms 53.187 ms
8 217.41.168.46 (217.41.168.46) 49.163 ms 53.072 ms 49.069 ms
9 217.47.70.114 (217.47.70.114) 53.383 ms 49.239 ms 47.417 ms
10 core2-pos0-8-0-1.ealing.ukcore.bt.net (62.6.204.42) 49.006 ms 48.910 ms 47.308 ms
11 core2-pos0-15-0-10.ilford.ukcore.bt.net (194.72.20.145) 72.790 ms 72.376 ms 65.123 ms
12 transit1-gig11-0-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net (194.72.20.146) 62.939 ms 68.465 ms 67.487 ms
13 t2c1-ge13-0-0.uk-ilf.eu.bt.net (166.49.168.85) 48.795 ms 58.713 ms 47.494 ms
14 so-6-0-0.ar3.LON3.gblx.net (64.209.93.141) 56.996 ms 63.030 ms 60.998 ms
15 ge2-1-10G.ar3.CDG2.gblx.net (67.17.105.234) 59.133 ms 58.491 ms 55.552 ms
16 020G.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.130) 66.877 ms 57.418 ms *
17 040G.p19-7-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.145) 80.337 ms * 64.846 ms
18 p19-6-m1.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.30) 59.173 ms 65.022 ms 64.609 ms
19 fozle.ovh.net () 57.309 ms 70.793 ms 61.074 ms

oles@ovh.net
04-03-2008, 10:30
>> 2 35 ms 47 ms 37 ms 217.47.110.186

Packets Pings
Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net 0.0% 8 3.5 1.0 0.2 3.5 1.1
2. p19-7-6k.routers.ovh.net 37.5% 8 0.7 8.8 0.4 41.7 18.4
3. 040G.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net 0.0% 8 7.0 74.8 0.7 288.6 106.3
4. 040G.gsw-2-6k.routers.ovh.net 0.0% 8 10.9 4.3 0.7 13.3 5.0
5. ge1-0.ar2.lon2.gblx.net 0.0% 8 10.5 9.9 9.0 10.8 0.6
6. 64.215.187.166 0.0% 8 11.2 11.5 8.8 19.0 3.2
7. t2c1-ge13-0-0.uk-glo.eu.bt.net 0.0% 8 11.4 10.7 10.1 11.4 0.4
8. t2c1-p9-1.uk-eal.eu.bt.net 0.0% 8 30.7 13.1 9.8 30.7 7.2
9. ss1.nl-ams.eu.bt.net 0.0% 8 9.9 10.7 9.5 12.5 0.9
10. ???
11. core1-pos9-0.manchester.ukcore.bt.n 0.0% 8 89.9 25.9 14.4 89.9 28.2
12. core1-pos13-1.sheffield.ukcore.bt.n 0.0% 7 17.7 32.3 16.9 76.0 25.1
13. bar8-pos8-0.sheffield4.broadband.bt 0.0% 7 15.9 19.3 15.9 33.1 6.1
14. 217.47.110.51 0.0% 7 17.0 18.9 17.0 21.3 1.4
15. 217.47.110.186 0.0% 7 19.1 19.6 17.0 26.4 3.1




>> 3 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms midd-t2cam1-a-ge81.inet.ntl.com
>> [213.106.239.177


Packets Pings
Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev
1. p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net 0.0% 8 0.6 0.8 0.3 2.2 0.6
2. p19-2-6k.routers.ovh.net 0.0% 8 0.5 0.9 0.4 1.8 0.5
3. 040G.th2-1-6k.routers.ovh.net 42.9% 8 9.0 50.3 7.3 98.8 49.0
4. ntl.FreeIX.net 0.0% 8 1.1 1.1 0.9 1.2 0.1
5. bre-bb-a-so-720-0.inet.ntl.com 0.0% 8 10.6 10.5 10.3 10.9 0.2
6. bre-bb-b-ge-000-0.inet.ntl.com 0.0% 8 10.6 10.7 10.5 10.9 0.2
7. lee-bb-a-so-110-0.inet.ntl.com 0.0% 7 13.6 13.8 13.6 14.1 0.2
8. midd-t3core-1a-so-000-0.inet.ntl.co 0.0% 7 15.8 15.8 15.5 16.1 0.2
9. midd-t2cam1-a-ge81.inet.ntl.com 0.0% 7 15.5 15.5 15.4 15.7 0.1




Andy
04-03-2008, 09:40
Quote Originally Posted by sledge0303
Hello,

just a question about routing between France/UK:

can some customers post traceroutes and pings to your dedicated servers in Paris and/or Roubaix?

TIA,
Thomas
This is from a BT connection at work.
C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew>ping abyssunderground.co.uk

Pinging ip.abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=110
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=110
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=110
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=110

Ping statistics for 91.121.17.201:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 55ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 56ms



C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew>tracert abyssunderground.co.uk

Tracing route to ip.abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms host86-137-229-210.range86-137.btcentralplus.com
[86.137.229.210]
2 35 ms 47 ms 37 ms 217.47.110.186
3 38 ms 37 ms 37 ms 217.47.110.161
4 38 ms 37 ms 35 ms 217.41.176.25
5 40 ms 35 ms 37 ms 217.41.176.130
6 37 ms 37 ms 35 ms 217.41.176.58
7 35 ms 35 ms 37 ms 217.47.110.241
8 36 ms 37 ms 35 ms 217.32.171.217
9 39 ms 39 ms 42 ms core2-pos8-0.birmingham.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.204.
46]
10 47 ms 47 ms 47 ms core2-pos0-15-0-10.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.
20.145]
11 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms transit1-gig11-0-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.
20.146]
12 44 ms 45 ms 45 ms t2c1-ge14-0-0.uk-ilf.eu.bt.net [166.49.168.89]
13 46 ms 46 ms 45 ms so-6-0-0.ar3.LON3.gblx.net [64.209.93.141]
14 67 ms 208 ms 232 ms ge2-1-10G.ar3.CDG2.gblx.net [67.17.105.234]
15 57 ms * 55 ms 020G.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.130]
16 57 ms * 58 ms 020G.rbx-1-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.226]
17 60 ms 58 ms 57 ms rbx-4-m1.routers.ovh.net [213.251.191.7]
18 55 ms 58 ms 57 ms abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201]

Trace complete.


This is from my Virgin Media cable connection at home.
C:\Documents and Settings\Login>ping abyssunderground.co.uk

Pinging ip.abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=113
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=113
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=113
Reply from 91.121.17.201: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=113

Ping statistics for 91.121.17.201:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 34ms


C:\Documents and Settings\Login>tracert abyssunderground.co.uk

Tracing route to ip.abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 7 ms 5 ms 6 ms 10.156.136.1
3 6 ms 7 ms 8 ms midd-t2cam1-a-ge81.inet.ntl.com [213.106.239.177
]
4 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms midd-t3core-1a-ge-017-0.inet.ntl.com [195.182.17
8.73]
5 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms lee-bb-a-so-130-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.75.45]
6 11 ms 11 ms 66 ms nth-bb-b-so-100-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.101]

7 13 ms 13 ms 17 ms tele-ic-1-as0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.184.2]
8 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 193.159.225.237
9 26 ms 23 ms 21 ms 217.239.38.162
10 37 ms * 32 ms 010G.th2-1-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.205]
11 33 ms * 36 ms 020G.rbx-2-6k.routers.ovh.net [213.186.32.201]
12 34 ms 32 ms 34 ms rbx-4-m1.routers.ovh.net [213.251.191.135]
13 34 ms 33 ms 34 ms abyssunderground.co.uk [91.121.17.201]

Trace complete.

sledge0303
04-03-2008, 09:26
Hello,

just a question about routing between France/UK:

can some customers post traceroutes and pings to your dedicated servers in Paris and/or Roubaix?

TIA,
Thomas

loststryk
04-03-2008, 09:11
i am actually looking at that as the rest is overkill for what i need

oles@ovh.net
03-03-2008, 22:36
loststryk a écrit:
>
> oles@ovh.net;1006 Wrote:
>> Andy a écrit:
>> >
>> > I agree the kimisufi servers should have double the RAM too.

>>
>> it can't. every cts of price is very important. that is why
>> in France, the price is 19.99E and not 19.90E ... 0.09Euro
>> is quite a lot in % of the final price ...

>
> well we know the kimsufi range can do a lot more, they have 2ghz
> processor, so why not create a second range at 23-24 euros a month
> called kimsufi2 and offer with 512mb of ram.


how about this ?
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/start100m.xml

Dual 2.00GHz, 512RAM, 250GB HG for 29.99 pounds


OVH.Customer
03-03-2008, 19:39
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Regarding the support, what do you mean by "Everything is in French" ? can you be a little more specific. But be aware that our tech are working at the moment on a new version of our email support, it will be fully in English . It should be ready during this month.
That will be great. I'm not particularly keen on the current support system but that may just be because the French is distracting me. I think it would also be good if the support system used a secure HTTP connection.

Bruno
03-03-2008, 19:29
Quote Originally Posted by loststryk
if you want to go troll on a thread, may i suggest the yahoo forums, as this thread was asked by OVH for feedback, to continually bash people with there feedback is a) bad manners b) unnecessary and c) down right rude.
I'm not asking Ovh to double the RAM. But this question is asked every week since the Kimsufi offer started (december 2006). And the answer hasn't changed : Kimsufi had, has et will have always 256M. Because of the reasons I said before (and because it's too late).

loststryk
03-03-2008, 18:38
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
Well, why 512 when 256 is enough ? Look at the prices of the others servers : you do +10£ when you double the RAM. Add to this the costs of the developpement (Ovh would have to change the product line, etc.. it costs), and you get a "Kimsufi+" that is more expensive than a Start. Or just cheaper, but it doesn't make sens because you want a Start for the price of a Kimsufi.
seeing as ovh offer different variations of the other servers with different disks and different ram and even different connections, i find your point a bit moot.

also with the price of ram these days at wholesale / disti prices, another 256 meg of ram is around the 10 euro mark, so over a period of 12 months a couple of euros / pounds extra to a monthly bill will not make much difference.

if you want to go troll on a thread, may i suggest the yahoo forums, as this thread was asked by OVH for feedback, to continually bash people with there feedback is a) bad manners b) unnecessary and c) down right rude.

now why don't you do everyone including myself a favour and go troll elsewhere

thxs

Bruno
03-03-2008, 17:40
Quote Originally Posted by loststryk
well we know the kimsufi range can do a lot more, they have 2ghz processor, so why not create a second range at 23-24 euros a month called kimsufi2 and offer with 512mb of ram.
Well, why 512 when 256 is enough ? Look at the prices of the others servers : you do +10£ when you double the RAM. Add to this the costs of the developpement (Ovh would have to change the product line, etc.. it costs), and you get a "Kimsufi+" that is more expensive than a Start. Or just cheaper, but it doesn't make sens because you want a Start for the price of a Kimsufi.

loststryk
03-03-2008, 16:01
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Andy a écrit:
>
> I agree the kimisufi servers should have double the RAM too.


it can't. every cts of price is very important. that is why
in France, the price is 19.99E and not 19.90E ... 0.09Euro
is quite a lot in % of the final price ...
well we know the kimsufi range can do a lot more, they have 2ghz processor, so why not create a second range at 23-24 euros a month called kimsufi2 and offer with 512mb of ram.

not only are you then able to offer an additional service to the uk market, your also giving people a little more choice, and i'm quite sure, (including adding on the 17.5% VAT) your sell a lot more kimsufis

thanks for listening

Andy
03-03-2008, 14:03
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
Ok, it is not so big. I think that your load is due to : demanding RAM applications plus not optmised OS (Windows on a Kimsufi... hum..) and maybe a wrong config. Try Linux just to compare, it will interest some people there. why not try to optimise the software instead of the hardware ?
Linux is not an option for several reasons (software incompatibility mainly). I run custom software which does not run on Linux, as its made for Windows.

MySQL is a very RAM demanding application anyway, but with this current server I have a CPU load of about 3% and RAM load of (currently):

Total Memory: 2039 mb, Used: 430mb, Free: 1609mb

But I have just done a reboot due to Windows updates.

I have stress tested the server before with 100 simultaneous connections and it faired up quite well. I don't remember the results but I'll do the test again and see how it goes.

Bruno
03-03-2008, 13:53
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I have dynamic sites and a few phpBB forums, plus wordpress sites etc, and I get around 100,000 hits a day average (increasing daily), but I also have a lot of image hosting etc (I use about 1.5TB bandwidth a month).
Ok, it is not so big. I think that your load is due to : demanding RAM applications plus not optmised OS (Windows on a Kimsufi... hum..) and maybe a wrong config. Try Linux just to compare, it will interest some people there. why not try to optimise the software instead of the hardware ?

I didn't know Kimsufi meant that. You learn something new every day. I'm not digging the specs of the Kimsufi server, I just think more memory would help. If it did have double the memory, I'd have a few of them right now.
I know what you mean but it's the Kimsufi..

CraigWalker
03-03-2008, 13:39
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
This kimsufi trial is to help us also to fix the bugs, translate what remains in French, etc... That is why your feedback is very important to us in order to improve our services.

Therefore, it would be more helpful if you could give us the links in order us to translate them.

Regarding the support, what do you mean by "Everything is in French" ? can you be a little more specific. But be aware that our tech are working at the moment on a new version of our email support, it will be fully in English . It should be ready during this month.
I will do a full report later on today.

handmousemaster
03-03-2008, 13:37
I think kimsufi are really great for what you pay (or here for free ^^)

I've been testing different things (speeds, multiple ip, ftp server, Team Speak server,....) and until now nothing went wrong. I'm having some troubles about security and encryption of the disk but that because of Fedora ^^
I love the manager panel: the reinstall service is great: i can really try anything. If it goes wrong, in 15 minutes i've got a server as good as new ^^

I agree with everybody about the ram : we got a dedicated with a big HDD, correct CPU and good bandwith, 512 will be more adequate to fully use the server, but that would maybe increase the price.

Andy
03-03-2008, 13:31
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
What kind of sites do you have ? How much hits per day ?
I have dynamic sites and a few phpBB forums, plus wordpress sites etc, and I get around 100,000 hits a day average (increasing daily), but I also have a lot of image hosting etc (I use about 1.5TB bandwidth a month).

As for feeding the troll, thats the reason I said I don't want an argument. Everyone likes what they prefer

I didn't know Kimsufi meant that. You learn something new every day. I'm not digging the specs of the Kimsufi server, I just think more memory would help. If it did have double the memory, I'd have a few of them right now.

Bruno
03-03-2008, 13:27
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Yes I respect that, but for a few pounds more, they could easily upgrade the memory to double what it is now to boost the performance.
Yes, but it will be useless. Kimsufi is a special offer with a way of thinking : remove the more useless to decrease the prise without decrease the quality. Kimsufi means "which is enough for me" in french, because a lot of people pay for a Start and they use only 1% of resources. If you need more, you have to pay more.

I find Linux too unstable...
Don't feed the troll :-)

but their performance will be poor for dynamic sites with such a small amount of RAM
What kind of sites do you have ? How much hits per day ?

By upgrading my old server from 256 to 512MB RAM I saw a performance increase of at least 4 times. It doubled again when I upgraded to 1GB.
Because it is Windows (i think) and Windows server is very... special.

Andy
03-03-2008, 13:09
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
Windows, Plesk CPanel.. are not made to run on a Kimsufi. Even if it is possible to install them, they will crash soon, especially with a heavy config like web+php+mysql+emails. Did you try to make a comparison between Windows and Linux on a Kimsufi ?


Kimsufi is not for professionnal use (except as a backup server or something like this). You can't be a professional and run your business on a Kimsufi.


I don't know exactly the number of Kimsufi bought until now, but I can promise you they don't run only static sites.
Yes I respect that, but for a few pounds more, they could easily upgrade the memory to double what it is now to boost the performance.

I don't use Linux so I cannot compare the difference. I find Linux too unstable for my applications, but lets not start an argument over that (because I know it will spark one )

I can understand they don't just run static sites, but their performance will be poor for dynamic sites with such a small amount of RAM. By upgrading my old server from 256 to 512MB RAM I saw a performance increase of at least 4 times. It doubled again when I upgraded to 1GB.

Bruno
03-03-2008, 13:03
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I used to run a server with just 512MB RAM and even it struggled to run Windows
Windows, Plesk CPanel.. are not made to run on a Kimsufi. Even if it is possible to install them, they will crash soon, especially with a heavy config like web+php+mysql+emails. Did you try to make a comparison between Windows and Linux on a Kimsufi ?

Because of this I never get a server with anything less than 1GB now. I have the 100M L ++ server and I use around 700-900 MB RAM at most, but the 2GB gives me room for expansion.
Kimsufi is not for professionnal use (except as a backup server or something like this). You can't be a professional and run your business on a Kimsufi.

If you're running static sites you'll be fine, but most people would want to run dynamic sites, or forums etc, which will need the extra RAM to run at a decent speed.
I don't know exactly the number of Kimsufi bought until now, but I can promise you they don't run only static sites. phpBB or Joomla doesn't need 500MB

Andy
03-03-2008, 13:00
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Regarding the support, what do you mean by "Everything is in French" ? can you be a little more specific. But be aware that our tech are working at the moment on a new version of our email support, it will be fully in English . It should be ready during this month.
When we submit a ticket to support, the replying e-mail is in french, and also the link included in the e-mail to get to the support ticket system is also in french and takes you to the french site.

S0phie
03-03-2008, 12:59
Quote Originally Posted by CraigWalker
My main issue is with the website.

Everything is ported from French and most links haven't been converted so we still get the French version.

The support really is poor, nothing seems to work and everything is French.
This kimsufi trial is to help us also to fix the bugs, translate what remains in French, etc... That is why your feedback is very important to us in order to improve our services.

Therefore, it would be more helpful if you could give us the links in order us to translate them.

Regarding the support, what do you mean by "Everything is in French" ? can you be a little more specific. But be aware that our tech are working at the moment on a new version of our email support, it will be fully in English . It should be ready during this month.

Andy
03-03-2008, 12:50
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
You know, this question was aborbed thousands of times (you can see them all on http://forum.kimsufi.com/ if you understand french) and the answer is always the same : 256MB is enough for a server like Kimsufi. Kimsufi is a server for small activities : a backup server or dedicated to mails, DNS... or for hosting small websites that can't stay on hosting (90 plan,...). I used a Kimsufi during 1 year and there was no problem (I didn't saved my MRTG but the % of used RAM (without the cache) was really low). If you need more : get a Start100M (512M + Pentium 4) or wait a little for the RPS.
I used to run a server with just 512MB RAM and even it struggled to run Windows with as much as possible disabled, HTTP (Not apache or IIS, but Abyss Web Server which has much smaller memory footprint of 2MB), PHP, MySQL and e-mail. I was always approaching all 512MB RAM used, maybe having 40mb free at the best of times.

Because of this I never get a server with anything less than 1GB now. I have the 100M L ++ server and I use around 700-900 MB RAM at most, but the 2GB gives me room for expansion.

If you're running static sites you'll be fine, but most people would want to run dynamic sites, or forums etc, which will need the extra RAM to run at a decent speed.

Bruno
03-03-2008, 12:46
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
So far a lot of people have agreed to pay a little more for a server with more RAM. Perhaps you could offer a second kimsufi server with more ram for a little more money, while still keeping the original great price lower RAM server?
You know, this question was discussed thousands of times (you can see them all on http://forum.kimsufi.com/ if you understand french) and the answer is always the same : 256MB is enough for a server like Kimsufi. Kimsufi is a server for small activities : a backup server or dedicated to mails, DNS... or for hosting small websites that can't stay on hosting (90 plan,...). I used a Kimsufi during 1 year and there was no problem (I didn't saved my MRTG but the % of used RAM (without the cache) was really low). If you need more : get a Start100M (512M + Pentium 4) or wait a little for the RPS.

Andy
03-03-2008, 12:38
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Andy a écrit:
>
> I agree the kimisufi servers should have double the RAM too.


it can't. every cts of price is very important. that is why
in France, the price is 19.99E and not 19.90E ... 0.09Euro
is quite a lot in % of the final price ...
So far a lot of people have agreed to pay a little more for a server with more RAM. Perhaps you could offer a second kimsufi server with more ram for a little more money, while still keeping the original great price lower RAM server?

CraigWalker
03-03-2008, 12:28
My main issue is with the website.

Everything is ported from French and most links haven't been converted so we still get the French version.

The support really is poor, nothing seems to work and everything is French.

oles@ovh.net
03-03-2008, 12:28
Andy a écrit:
>
> I agree the kimisufi servers should have double the RAM too.


it can't. every cts of price is very important. that is why
in France, the price is 19.99E and not 19.90E ... 0.09Euro
is quite a lot in % of the final price ...


Andy
03-03-2008, 11:55
I agree the kimisufi servers should have double the RAM too.

Also, can I suggest that you, by default, have the latest drivers on the Marvel network cards? I have had several problems when reinstalling my server where the drivers were not up to date and kept causing the network card to drop the connection, making it difficult to work with the server.

The drivers provided the first time I reinstalled were 8.x and I had to update to 10.x to get the connection stable.

kantiman
03-03-2008, 11:42
I agree with loststryk u should increase the RAM to 512 and let everyone test it. But 256 is very small for windows or linux itself.

loststryk
03-03-2008, 11:30
Quote Originally Posted by Dawg
I have got the one above that and im having trouble atm im on windows and i only have one disk drive when im supposed to have 2

My other ptoblem is when downloading the client just closes for no reason even if i limit the speed, I get no disk overload or anything it just closes after about 30-40 seconds.

Speed wise im very happy i have hit 59meg but cant sustain it because the client just closes any ideas ?
load task manager and look at the process size of the application that keeps dying out, it it gets huge, thats your problem, your need to tweak the settings for the application

Andy
03-03-2008, 11:11
Quote Originally Posted by Dawg
I have got the one above that and im having trouble atm im on windows and i only have one disk drive when im supposed to have 2

My other ptoblem is when downloading the client just closes for no reason even if i limit the speed, I get no disk overload or anything it just closes after about 30-40 seconds.

Speed wise im very happy i have hit 59meg but cant sustain it because the client just closes any ideas ?
Update the NIC drivers. If you're on Windows, use the Windows Update. I had the same annoying issue. The Marvel ones come with v8.x installed, the update will bump them to v10.x however no matter the version, an update is always good.

Dawg
03-03-2008, 11:00
I have got the one above that and im having trouble atm im on windows and i only have one disk drive when im supposed to have 2

My other ptoblem is when downloading the client just closes for no reason even if i limit the speed, I get no disk overload or anything it just closes after about 30-40 seconds.

Speed wise im very happy i have hit 59meg but cant sustain it because the client just closes any ideas ?

loststryk
03-03-2008, 10:24
between 10 - 20% of the gbit

JulieH
03-03-2008, 10:04
loststryk where are the upload and download speeds maxing out at on your 1gbit server? I am also looking into getting that one and trying it out for a month, but wanna know if the Hard Drives are limiting the bandwidth and/or the pipe is fat enough.

THanks.

loststryk
03-03-2008, 09:16
i can only comment on 2 of the range at this moment in time, this is what i found.

the kimsufi range are good for what you pay, however, there is major limitations to the kimsufi range due to the lack of ram in them, 256meg of ram is a major bottleneck on applications (windows and linux) the kim sufi range would of been a better offer with a minimum of 512MB, people could of run plesk ect more comftably for small web servers (i.e. home use or 1 domain use)

so my recommendation is, update the kimsufi range with another 256meg of ram, put your price up by a couple more quid, and people would still buy

I also have http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eglarge.xml

now this server, is lot better, ideal for multiple hosting, torrenting etc, the cpu and the ram work well togeather and the machine has so far had no problems, apart from 1 thing, RAID 1, under linux i cant get past the raid soft/hardware to enable both disks, which is a major pain, especially as the 2nd drive would be great as a backup for cpanel backup cron, however under windows, i have use of both disks.

my recommendation here is to allow raid 0

in regards to the support manager, still some bugs which people have been pointing out, however one of the things that annoy me, is when i have sent a ticket in, i get an email in french (the only french i know is how to order a lot of beer) so i get a little lost, it took me a couple of days to work out that i needed to click a link for the ticket to be submitted in the email thats generated when a ticket is raised, maybe automate it so it automatically confirms the ticket without user interaction.

Hope this is of some help

oles@ovh.net
03-03-2008, 07:46
Hi There,
How is the general feedback out the dedicated servers ? Is it good ?
Have you any bandwidth problems ? Is it quick ? Any hardware problems ?
Any software problems ? Manager ?

Thanks for feedback
Octave