OVH Community, your new community space.

Ganeti Installation Instructions with Virtual Rack

Loic
29-06-2011, 09:39
Thanks for the nice comments Myatu. I must say, I am not fan of drbd. I have installed it because it is well supported by Ganeti, but I am not using it. I prefer to replicate at the application level — MySQL master/slave, MongoDB replica sets — and combine with dns level load balancing or something like that.

15min downtime when starting up a new instance is for me acceptable.

It looks like GlusterFS is improving all the time, so I will need to test it at some point. I need to setup an AWS S3 like service for my applications. So GlusterFS could be the underlying replication system (it now supports HTTP).

I still need to work on a good backup system. The NAS stuff from OVH could be a good way. The 100GB price tag is attractive to "start with" and it is managed, so, one thing I do not have to worry about.

Anyway, Ganeti is really nice. http://notes.ceondo.com is running on a small KVM instance.

Thanks for the GlusterFS reminder,
loïc

Myatu
28-06-2011, 18:54
Neat! I've been tinkering with OpenNebula for a while (KVM). Have you tried GlusterFS instead of DRDB? I find it has much more flexibility and performance whilst keeping the same availability of data.

Loic
28-06-2011, 13:20
Hello,

as I keep exploring the right system to deploy my virtual machines, I discovered Ganeti. Ganeti is a bit like ProxMox but only for KVM or Xen. So, you need a processor with virtualisation support.

I am slowly putting this system in production with both a RIPE block and the vrack offer. I am still using ProxMox in production, but the robustness of Ganeti and the fact that I can run it with a stock kernel on top of debian squeeze are bringing me to migrate my VMs over this new system.

Read my Ganeti deployment notes and do not hesitate to post your questions here. (I may take a while to answer, but every week or so I check the forum. If too slow, do not hesitate to contact me by email).

Regards,
loïc