OVH Community, your new community space.

RAID 0 HDD on MG BEST OF Urgent Help

myheadrocking
14-09-2011, 03:44
@DiDiHOSTiNG

Are you sure this solution works and sucks 1TB Space.
So basically we are removing the RAID 1 and then putting both drives individually on RAID 0 separately for both drives.

But for RAID 0 i think we need at least 2 drives **I am a Noob** so how will we do RAID 0 on 1 drive on its own.

myheadrocking
14-09-2011, 03:31
Sorry to bump this but.

Now i am in a fix, i am going to purchase another MG BEST OF and someone from OVH commented on my ticket.

Of course this is all possible, you just need to do 2 x 1TB in RAID 1 for the installation of OS and rest of the HDD in RAID 0 and there you go.

Now, only 1 question to guys over here before i purchase.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE, can someone help us all and solve this question coz if OVH can not help this they should remove the option its like cheating clients with the WRONG INPUTS.

Can someone help me on this guys.

theatheist
10-09-2011, 11:29
Try winstaller.org, They can install windows on OVH servers. The installation may be able to take advantage of all drives if raid has been disabled. They will do refund if it doesnt work.

DiDiHOSTiNG
16-08-2011, 20:00
Hi,

First I would like to say OVH know of this problem as i had this problem when mg bestof 2011 came out.... I ended up getting refund from OVH due to a small problem they have. First I'll give you instructions on how to get your 3TB drives on raid 0,

Here is commands for you, you have to stick your server in winrescue or rescue-pro
-list the disks:
# MegaCli -PdList -aALL | grep Device
# MegaCli -PdList -aALL | egrep "Slot|Device ID"

-list the RAIDs:
# MegaCli -LDInfo -Lall -aALL

-state of the RAIDs:
# MegaCli -AdpBbuCmd -aAll

-break the raid:
# MegaCli -CfgLDDel -Lx -a0
(x = virtual disk number)

- crate a raid 0, 1, 5 and 6:
# MegaCli -CfgLdAdd -rX[EncID:Hdd,EncID:Hdd,...] -a0

X = raid chosen
EnclID? = Enclosure ID (ID of backplane or Xtor)
Hdd = N° of the port

exemple raid 1:
# MegaCli -CfgLdAdd -r1[252:0,252:1] -a0

When you make the raid 0 make raid for each drive

# MegaCli -CfgLdAdd -r0[252:0] -a0
# MegaCli -CfgLdAdd -r0[252:1] -a0

These are the 2 commands I used to make both drives raid 0.

Now this is where your problem will be..... when you reinstall your windows OS you will lose about 1TB due to ovh/windows will not let you install on GPT drive and MBR drive is max of 2TB so you lose 1TB on one drive.... OVH know of this problem as i have spent weeks trying to sort this problem with them, they even asked if they could have my server to test from......

OVH did say to me that they would warn customers when they buy MG Bestof for windows, but loks to me they have not done anything on there website to say this.

Anyways the person to speak to at OVH is Marc as he delt with this with me.

Good luck with Your 5TB MG BestOF

Marc

maybars
08-08-2011, 16:00
It is already turned on. But I am neither able to send nor receive pm. By the way, I've added your address however it seems offline.

myheadrocking
08-08-2011, 14:42
Do you know how to do it, please help me with this.

I am sending my MSN to you.

Thanks

maybars has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove maybars from the recipient list and send the message again
Go to options, turn on your PM's.
My MSN is : videoautoblogs@hotmail.com

maybars
07-08-2011, 23:01
Hello there, send me a msn address. So I can help you. I think my pm is not still working so you have to write it here for a short period so I can add you.

myheadrocking
07-08-2011, 07:27
So much time passed, the intervention is still going for 5 hours, i am just sitting and watching the time going waste here.
What can be done on this..

myheadrocking
07-08-2011, 02:08
So finally i got no help , nothing from anyone, this is getting bad here, i want someone to come up and compensate me for the loss of time and mind for this issue.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 13:24
@Neil.

Any help for this is highly appreciated.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 12:25
My advisor wrote back its all done .. thanks..
This was done , now what should i thank him for here.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 11:17
Finally someone did a format and guess what the result is :

Same thing posted in POST 1..
So, basically all gone waste and i am still nowhere.

Now what to do , is there anyone who can help.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 10:00
Tried again to install everything from scratch, failed..
ystem installation has failed.

For information, this is the error message :

1 ports opened in place of 2

You may restart the installation process,
Click 'Restart installation' button.

Now i got someone on my ticket saying he is checking the install.

I am sick and tired of this.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 07:50
OVH support is really really bad on this part, its just getting forced RAID 1 on the servers
Now what to do on this thing..??

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 07:38
Just got the OVH REPLY to my intervention.

I mentioned in my ticket over 10 times i need RAID 0 and complete space and infact thats the only issue, but still i logged in to see RAID 1.

Guys,

How many times i listed that i need RAID 0 and complete 5.5TB HDD and again you did the same RAID 1 installation..
So we are back to ZERO after waiting for 12 hours.
This is going stupid now.

Now, what to do here, should i start everything again, this is so stupid now..

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 07:30
Guys, 4 hours gone i am still waiting for your replies on this thing..
Can someone inform me on this.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 04:23
Tried a reboot, says an intervention is going on..??
Waiting for this to be done.

myheadrocking
06-08-2011, 03:12
Nothing is working on this..
Finally i tried to rebuild everything from scratch, tried to configure the RAID again and did it.
Then i tried to reinstall , got an error :

- Server does not awake (BIOS has not been fixed for win?) !

Then i left an INCIDENT TICKET saying this error and told OVH guys to fix my RAID 0 or initialise the process at least.

The reply came DIAGNOSIS OVER, software diagnosis is done..

I logged in to see server in rescue mode and nothing seemed different, i thought may be someone did correct it so i went for another installation and then third and then fourth.

Nothing, same error.
- Server does not awake (BIOS has not been fixed for win?) !

5 Days gone, still the server is same nothing is working on it, i called OVH at least 10 times for the same issue, still nothing is working.

Its just 10 minute fix for OVH guys, request to help me with this or else my server, payments all will be going waste.

Help me with this.

Winit
06-08-2011, 00:10
Install Windows to a smallish partition and create another larger partition after the installation is finished.

maybars
05-08-2011, 22:17
This is because manager only can be available to Raid 1 disk space. You can either install Windows 2008 (to use integrated main partition expand option) or try to use gparted (I don't know if its proper for ntfs expand, I used it for ext3 expand it took 7 hours) as I did.

When I mentioned about this situation to support guess what response I took:
Me: "The disk space must be showed as 80 GB with MegaRaid 0, not 40 GB. (Please check the file) Otherwise everytime I re-install the server, I have to spend 7 hours to resize the partitions."

Support: "I'm sorry but that's currently impossible; we can't support different raid hardware configuration trough the ovh manager, so you'll have to do it by the hand. you can use the "post-install" script functionnality in your ovh manager during a reinstallation."

You can check the same problem in here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5636

myheadrocking
05-08-2011, 17:46
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
If you have setup it up on the Raid Card, then just reinstall the server with the partitions you want. You can ignore the OVH Manager as the Raid Card will deal with it all.

But then i have 5.456TB space, should i ignore the CUSTOM LAYOUT tab and just go ahead and install the windows , will i end up with 5.65TB HDD including Windows setup..??

Is this what you are saying..??

And if i end with it, how will i get GPT HDD to create new volumes , then it wont allow me usage of over 2TB HDD..??

myheadrocking
05-08-2011, 17:45
Hey Neil.

This Hardware RAID thing is giving me hiccups.

Now i have removed everything.. Can you please guide me with things, i can do with software RAID on this one or hardware RAID.

I need to setup partitions now and install windows, how to do this..??
Whats the next step..??

Neil
05-08-2011, 17:44
Quote Originally Posted by myheadrocking
Ok..
I am trying this from SCRATCH.

i have reconfigured the RAID 0 and this screen shows up :

Whats next now, how to create partitions for windows and in the OVH MANAGER, it still shows 3TB in custom layout tab.

Help please.
If you have setup it up on the Raid Card, then just reinstall the server with the partitions you want. You can ignore the OVH Manager as the Raid Card will deal with it all.

Neil
05-08-2011, 17:41
Hi

I think you are mixing Software Raid with Hardware Raid. You should either make the partitions and raid types on the raidcard or disable the raid card and then use Windows and create them via Software Raid.

myheadrocking
05-08-2011, 17:41
Ok..
I am trying this from SCRATCH.

i have reconfigured the RAID 0 and this screen shows up :

Whats next now, how to create partitions for windows and in the OVH MANAGER, it still shows 3TB in custom layout tab.

Help please.

myheadrocking
05-08-2011, 16:04
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Did you follow the MegaRaid? You need to follow the MegaRaid section if you have an MG Server, http://help.ovh.co.uk/HardRaidLsi#link3
Absolutely yes,

I followed those steps and checked it once again just now for the size :

However, I still can not create any partitions in the 3.5TB HDD, i am just posting another screen for this, i need urgent help for this one.. The server has to be setup for production today itself.

Here is the screen, see this..

I don't know what is to be done now.

Also the option to convert to DISC 0 is not showing.

Regards

Neil
05-08-2011, 14:05
Quote Originally Posted by myheadrocking
I just purchased an MG BEST OF which comes default with
RAID 1 & i needed RAID 0, so i asked OVH support for the
same and they gave me this link to follow :

http://help.ovh.co.uk/HardRaidLsi

I did follow this one and used these commands and somehow managed to do the RAID 0 config.
At the time of windows install, it still showed me 3TB HDD.

Now i installed my windows and when i see i still can not use the COMPLETE 5.5 TB HDD, out of that 3.5 TB still remains unused , i am unable to make any partitions on that one..

What's wrong in this, please help me with this, i wanted a RAID 0 and somehow it comes with RAID 1 and now spending 2 days for this issue, i cant use that space, what is going on here please help me with this.
Tried Gparted and partition manager things, nothing still i can not make a simple volume or do anything with my 3.5TB HDD, its urgent guys.

Its very urgent.

Regards
Hi

Did you follow the MegaRaid? You need to follow the MegaRaid section if you have an MG Server, http://help.ovh.co.uk/HardRaidLsi#link3

myheadrocking
05-08-2011, 13:16
I just purchased an MG BEST OF which comes default with
RAID 1 & i needed RAID 0, so i asked OVH support for the
same and they gave me this link to follow :

http://help.ovh.co.uk/HardRaidLsi

I did follow this one and used these commands and somehow managed to do the RAID 0 config.
At the time of windows install, it still showed me 3TB HDD.

Now i installed my windows and when i see i still can not use the COMPLETE 5.5 TB HDD, out of that 3.5 TB still remains unused , i am unable to make any partitions on that one..

What's wrong in this, please help me with this, i wanted a RAID 0 and somehow it comes with RAID 1 and now spending 2 days for this issue, i cant use that space, what is going on here please help me with this.
Tried Gparted and partition manager things, nothing still i can not make a simple volume or do anything with my 3.5TB HDD, its urgent guys.

Its very urgent.

Regards