OVH Community, your new community space.

Has anyone ever had this situation with OVH?

ictdude
20-08-2011, 22:34
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Another one bites the dust. A lot of us have been there maybars, you're not the only one to be told your backups are gone either. And this is why I make off-site backups of everything.

It is surprising that they have cancelled it just like that, however it's your responsibility to prevent out-going attacks. Incoming they will simply block your IP's until the attack ends. I've had incoming attacks many times.

All I can suggest is you phone them, but they won't be open until Monday now unfortunately. You could try technical line which puts you through to France (someone will speak English) but they may be even more useless.
Yes thats the best to do. off-site backups of everything is the best you can do.
Have all my data and vm´s also off-site. And on a second OVH server. And off-site on third-party provider backup. If not you can have risks like this. Also dont forget to get a good firewall and security updates. And logwatch.
And fail2ban..

maybars
19-08-2011, 22:10
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Another one bites the dust. A lot of us have been there maybars, you're not the only one to be told your backups are gone either. And this is why I make off-site backups of everything.

It is surprising that they have cancelled it just like that, however it's your responsibility to prevent out-going attacks. Incoming they will simply block your IP's until the attack ends. I've had incoming attacks many times.

All I can suggest is you phone them, but they won't be open until Monday now unfortunately. You could try technical line which puts you through to France (someone will speak English) but they may be even more useless.
This proves that OVH still loves to play god. As I've mentioned in my first message I can understand that if the contract cancelled because of an outgoing effect. I may also accept the denial of reach to server if there was an outgoing attack. Which drives me crazy is there is no explanation, nothing. I have sent messages to incident team and support team. The answer is the same. "We can't do anything. We don't know. Decision has been made by legal department. blah blah" I have also sent 2 e-mails to legal@ovh.net which end up with 20 hour silence.

Andy
19-08-2011, 21:24

maybars
19-08-2011, 20:57
Quote Originally Posted by lewis4490
Try ringing them.
I strongly believe that wont work too. Because its always the same answer: "Decision has been made by legal department. We can't do anything." Where and who is the legal department. Why nobody can reach them and say "Hey there is a customer here and he has some problems."

Sometimes OVH makes me feel that I am robbed. Because now, I really feel like my hands are literally tied up by OVH and everyone denies to help me.

lewis4490
19-08-2011, 20:45
Try ringing them.

maybars
19-08-2011, 19:38
Besides, the irony is; If the server's contract cancelled becaquse of incoming attack then how lovely. Every attacker can cancel a server in OVH. Ohh, this is actually what they want.

maybars
19-08-2011, 19:35
Hello,

One of my servers had attack 2 days ago. All of the IPs were blocked. I understood that it is normal for precaution. One of the messages was indicating that there was also outgoing attack (Automated incident system message about Worm/Hacker etc.) The server was virtualized with ESXi so I don't know but it is possible.

The day after my server's contract was cancelled and server put into ftp rescue mode. The only reason was "Attack. Out!" There was no explanation, no logs, nothing. No one answers my questions about that.

Then the crucial part came out. I am not able to get my backups! The ftp rescue mode does not show disks as mounted. I am not able to locate /vmfs directory to recover my data. Then I've sent several incident replies, support tickets. Always the same answer "Decision has been made by legal department. Server will not be put in rescue-pro mode."

Is this a joke? The server's contract has been cancelled. "It is okay. I understood. Somebody could (It is also not certain) make attack from the server. (Which is irrelevant because IPs were blocked because of incoming attack.)" However, what does it mean that "I am not able to get my data back" ?!?!?!?!