OVH Community, your new community space.

Packet shaping on UDP 1935?

glidewave
31-08-2011, 08:45
You can check shaping/throttling (both server and home) using mLabs tools:

http://www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools

freshwire
31-08-2011, 06:27
TCP in TCP makes me feel dirty inside...
Clense your mind by staring at this for the next 3 hours

Myatu
30-08-2011, 21:18
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
Tried that too, with no success. (TCP in TCP makes me feel dirty inside...)
Haha! No worse than wrapping it UDP What other settings for OpenVPN are you using though, particularly compression-wise?

Also, have you tried "Tinc"? I absolutely love it - easy to configure, flexible and little overhead (great throughputs). I've found that OpenVPN is slowly becoming the Mozilla of FOSS: a bit of an overweight dinosaur...

unclebob
30-08-2011, 20:47
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Try "proto tcp" instead. I have stopped using UDP for VPN's on OVH just for that reason; even IPSEC is iffy.
Tried that too, with no success. (TCP in TCP makes me feel dirty inside...)

Myatu
30-08-2011, 16:51
Try "proto tcp" instead. I have stopped using UDP for VPN's on OVH just for that reason; even IPSEC is iffy.

unclebob
29-08-2011, 17:38
I run an Openvpn server on UDP 1935 (a port generally used for streaming flash content) and I am getting *VERY* poor throughput ~ 5KB/s. Just changed my listening port to 19350 and I'm getting full throughput again... Contacted my ISP (Xilo/Uno) and they are adamant that packet shaping does not take place on their network, which I fully trust.

Has anyone else experienced this on OVH's network? I'm on a Kimsufi 2G.

Edit: seems like it's slowing down now regardless of which port I use... Listening on a different IP address seems to sort it out though. Very odd.