OVH Community, your new community space.

Is there any way to install FreeNAS on Kimsufi Server?

maybars
25-09-2011, 20:25
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
+1 on this.

but if you need NAS capabilities why not go with Open-Solaris and utilize built in NFS?
I need; SMB/NFS/FTP and iSCSI for later but the point is having an easy central management interface.

maybars
25-09-2011, 20:24
Proxmox KVM:
- Openfiler: Stucks on installation
- FreeNAS 7 & 8 : Something wrong with routing (bridge) I've tried everything to make guest access internet (with 5 installations, no luck)

Now:

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
maybars wrote:
> Is there any other suggestion? or should I just forget it and build
> services on distros?

Best bet would probably be to either:

- install FreeBSD and see if there is a way to migrate it to FreeNAS
or
- install FreeBSD, go to rescue (which will then be the matching FreeBSD rescue
system) and see if there's a way to install it in a chrooted environment.

However, both approaches mean you need a profound understanding of FreeBSD
administration.

By the way, what happened to Openfiler distro in manager?

yonatan
25-09-2011, 15:58
Quote Originally Posted by Felix
maybars wrote:
> services on distros?

or

administration.
+1 on this.

but if you need NAS capabilities why not go with Open-Solaris and utilize built in NFS?

Felix
23-09-2011, 13:10
maybars wrote:
> services on distros?

or

administration.

maybars
22-09-2011, 22:08
How lovely, isnt it?

Now gonna try Proxmox I never leave the field without fighting

maybars
22-09-2011, 21:00
Thank you all for useful information. I was trying to use FS10-T as a backup storage server (NAS) for my virtual server customers. I also intended to use it only OVH internal connection with IP restrictions.

However, I came to end. Because FS-10T seems not compatible with ESXi and BSD is not able to run under XEN Something testing my nerves :S

Myatu
22-09-2011, 18:03
Quote Originally Posted by maybars
I would be happy to have other suggestions? Not one, several reasons;
- Most storage services in one place
- Good web management for all
- Stable
- Small

I am also thinking about installing Ubuntu Server and install all services individually (SMB/NFS/FTP) However different management styles and struggling with ".conf"s driving me crazy So the best option seems like to go virtualization
One that comes to mind is Mandriva Directory Server. Their docs relating to Debian/Ubuntu are a bit outdated though, and they do have an appliance for virtual machines.

It provides you with a unified management for users (via LDAP) and storage space (via Samba [SMB] and/or NFS]), which includes quotas.

You can also add more modules for other things, such as DNS management (required for Samba) and Postfix + Dovecot/Courier/Exim, so the same users you manage for storage are also managed for e-mails.

I've used it for a few years myself; as said, the initial setup on Ubuntu/Debian is a bit of trial-and-error, but once up and running, it works like a charm. Quite light on resources too.

Another, which I am very partial to, is GlusterFS. It works more like a native NAS, but also has NFS abilities if you need them. However, if you want the web-based manager, you'll need to run an appliance they provide (virtual machine is probably best in your case then).

Those are the ones that come to mind right now But indeed, the virtual machine option might actually be the quickest way to get you going (and also easier to 'undo' if you decide you don't like it). Otherwise, you may have to spend some time on initial setups (and bare NFS really is quite easy to do, TBH), but it's a learning curve that may well come handy later on

maybars
21-09-2011, 15:44
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
You could try a Virtual Machine. Any particular reason going for FreeNAS? There might be easier or better alternatives.
I would be happy to have other suggestions? Not one, several reasons;
- Most storage services in one place
- Good web management for all
- Stable
- Small

I am also thinking about installing Ubuntu Server and install all services individually (SMB/NFS/FTP) However different management styles and struggling with ".conf"s driving me crazy So the best option seems like to go virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
If you did have an EG Server or above with Professional Use, you did get access to KVM via IPMI and can get into the BIOS to change the boot order.
Unfortunately it is FS-10T Thats the point my hands cuffed.

Neil
21-09-2011, 15:37
If you did have an EG Server or above with Professional Use, you did get access to KVM via IPMI and can get into the BIOS to change the boot order.

Myatu
21-09-2011, 13:31
You could try a Virtual Machine. Any particular reason going for FreeNAS? There might be easier or better alternatives.

maybars
21-09-2011, 10:11
Hello,

As I've mentioned on subject, is there anybody know how to?

- I have tried to install via vKVM, no luck. Although I made the correct network config, it wasn't successful.

- I have ordered 16G USB Flash to extract FreeNAS .img file on it but couldn't solve how to make system boot on that drive.

Is there any other suggestion? or should I just forget it and build services on distros?