OVH Community, your new community space.

Hard drives out of stock

Thelen
04-12-2011, 22:27
Yup as Andy says though costs would go up therefore profit would go down a bit. Most people only care about maximum profit for the next 6-12 months. When they were deciding where to build this, likely there was a safe option that would cost say 50% more, meaning they'd have to raise prices by 2-5% for a few years.

Speedy059
04-12-2011, 07:20
Quote Originally Posted by AdamD
Surprised they built a plant at ground level, in an area which has a flood risk.

Mind you, maybe it's not practical to build it higher up? I dunno
Agreed, it's crazy that any of these manufactures with so many eggs in one basket would setup shop in a flood zone. They shouldn't build anywhere that has less than 5,000 year flood rating...

AdamD
01-12-2011, 13:32
Surprised they built a plant at ground level, in an area which has a flood risk.

Mind you, maybe it's not practical to build it higher up? I dunno

Andy
28-11-2011, 23:43
The biggest issue here is the fact that production was centralised and so heavily reliant on a single infrastructure. Had there been a plant somewhere else in the world (or a couple even) then this issue wouldn't exist. I'm not saying prices wouldn't rise at all but at least it would be minimal in comparison to what it is now.

I'm thankful I have 3TB in new disks ready and just under 2TB on my storage server free. That should pull me through the next 6-12 months with ease.

Thelen
28-11-2011, 23:36
Word is the rise will be about another 20% and then it should stop as production catches up.

I find it ironic the same problem is happening with penicillin in Australia (I think it is global?) except not with a price increase, but simply running out and people possibly dying. We ought to start pushing for more sane manufacturing and supply practices :/

jonlewi5
28-11-2011, 13:58
Sooooo, about these hard drives then...

Neil
28-11-2011, 12:43
Both you please stop, otherwise we will ban you both.

Stay on topic.

Thelen
27-11-2011, 22:19
Or maybe it is more screwed up by people that jump to conclusions, like yourself for example.

Thousands of people have lots their livelihood and all you can do is complain about someone being capitalistic (and really not even that, $500 is bugger all) and using it as an excuse to attack someone and post off topic.

AdamD
27-11-2011, 17:22
Well if you're the same Thelen who the other poster referred to, then yea, it's no wonder the world is screwed up, with people like yourself in it.

Thelen
27-11-2011, 06:02
Yup the world is what people make it.

Then they wonder why its so screwed up :/

AdamD
26-11-2011, 01:02
Quote Originally Posted by Trojan
It has always been this way, and it's the foundation of our modern economy.
The world is what you make of it, and all that.

Thelen
26-11-2011, 00:30
lol the whole stock market is based around profiting from disaster.

Trojan
25-11-2011, 21:13
These days, it seems fortune favours the greedy and immorral.
It has always been this way, and it's the foundation of our modern economy.

AdamD
24-11-2011, 22:29
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
It's Thelen. He's a selfish individual. He tried to take down pulsedmedia after he threw a hissy fit.
Oh wow, it's no wonder then.

AdamD
24-11-2011, 22:26
It's not like money is gonna fall in our lap. We have to take it ourselves, as much and as quick as possible.

Fortune favors the bold.
These days, it seems fortune favours the greedy and immorral.

Trojan
24-11-2011, 22:10
You know the human race is in a sad state when people try and make a quick buck after a natural disaster.
It's not like money is gonna fall in our lap. We have to take it ourselves, as much and as quick as possible.

Fortune favors the bold.

Winit
24-11-2011, 21:51
You know the human race is in a sad state when people try and make a quick buck after a natural disaster.
It's Thelen. He's a selfish individual. He tried to take down pulsedmedia after he threw a hissy fit.

http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=122
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...8682#r31989901

AdamD
24-11-2011, 17:52

Thelen
24-11-2011, 06:57
Just picked up 12 2TB external seagate things from officeworks. They contain the new 2TB drives that you can't even get from normal stores

2 for myself, other 10 are on ebay hehehe. Wish I had about $30k, would buy the rest of the stock they have and make epic profit

jonlewi5
02-11-2011, 12:23
ahh i see, i see. Cheers andy.

Andy
02-11-2011, 12:15
Yes. They'll replace it with a used drive however.

jonlewi5
02-11-2011, 09:42
Out of interest, what happens if im unlucky enough to lose a HDD in my server during this time? Am i going to be able to get that replaced? considering the situation.

Thelen
02-11-2011, 06:35
Yea I'm glad I bought my asus laptop just before this.. 2x750GB, would have been $100 more.

unfortunately I owe a friend a 2TB drive hopefully he doesn't want it before prices drop down some though >_>

Speedy059
30-10-2011, 07:34
Going to be interesting to see how Apple, Dell, and HP pull through this. They generally push for high sells late in the year for the holidays, but it looks like it may not be possible. Most consumers will probably wait another 4-6 months to get that laptop if it'll save them $50-$100 on the hard drive.

MidnighToker
30-10-2011, 00:46
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Fujitsu and Samsung all the way for me, no gateway to the sea for my data. And, speaking of Samsung, that's S.Korea - shouldn't be a problem to source them from there, would it?
I was the same, Samsung all the way, except they're getting bought out by Seagate, so...

Thelen
29-10-2011, 12:16
wut, SP storage use XT now? since when?

yonatan
29-10-2011, 03:08
Quite on topic , right from wht :
http://imgur.com/a/p3cHA ( Flood @ wdc plant ) ;-(

that's terrible, let's all wish everybody will be well.

Myatu
28-10-2011, 18:10
Ugh. Talk about putting all one's eggs in one basket. I thought they'd learned from the earthquake that affected the RAM market.

NickW
28-10-2011, 17:26
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Fujitsu and Samsung all the way for me, no gateway to the sea for my data. And, speaking of Samsung, that's S.Korea - shouldn't be a problem to source them from there, would it?
The company that supplies motors for 70% of HDDs is also under water, so all manufacturers will be affected one way or another.

Myatu
28-10-2011, 17:18

yonatan
28-10-2011, 16:53
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
The drives for SP storage aren't the same. AFAIK they are worse quality based on what I've had delivered :/
Nope, they are high quality high end desktop drives.
normally we get these: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro.../barracuda_xt/
which are Awesome!

Thelen
28-10-2011, 13:28
The drives for SP storage aren't the same. AFAIK they are worse quality based on what I've had delivered :/

yonatan
28-10-2011, 10:01
Maybe halt the sp-storage orders totally for this period of time?

1 sp storage = 2 eg bestof ...

Thelen
28-10-2011, 06:13
Heh, my favourite computer stores in AU have finally put up their prices, about 60% from what I can see.

Anyone want a pair of 1TB seagates that I bought just before this?

Tz-OVH
27-10-2011, 12:48
Flooding in taiwan, a major HDD manufacturer manufacturing plant is crippled.
Thailand. And lots of manufacturers have been affected. The HDD manuf. rely on others for core components and they are based in Thailand too.

Prices doubled already on most drives :/

Thelen
27-10-2011, 03:43
Basically means setups will probably come back or at least the HG prices will stay where they are or go up :/

4-10 months probably till things come good.

Trojan
26-10-2011, 23:34
Flooding in taiwan, a major HDD manufacturer manufacturing plant is crippled.

AdamD
26-10-2011, 22:41
Why have harddrive prices gone up?

Tz-OVH
26-10-2011, 17:45
It was just a matter of time. HDD prices have gone up 2x...going to have such a bad effect on the markets.

oles@ovh.net
26-10-2011, 17:40
Hello,

As you know, there has been a lot of flooding in Thailand and several hard drives production plants in the West have stopped. Seagate and Hitachi going on but they can not deliver all the Global demand. Being a large customer in September and October we have access priority to global stocks. however it starts to be very tense. For November, we got 20% of our orders and we learn the restart factories in Thailand is expected for January 2012! In December and January they will provide 10% of our needs, or nothing at all!

If we want to continue to provide you with the servers in 1 Hour or 36 Hours.

1. We need new drives for new servers. So the New discs are now in place on assembly lines only.
2. The servers that have been put into production and are used for a few months and are not renewed will usually see the hard drive changed a new one. This allows us to guarantee freshly rented a server has a disk less than 1000H. We stop the operations to avoid running out of stock records too fast. So if you are delivered in Server in October, November, December and January, you will therefore have a probability of a server with a disk of 4-10 months. The data has been erased by formatting a low level, but the disc will be a few months already operating.

It is not known yet whether this (small) change sufficient to maintain the stock server available at 1H. Honestly we doubt in January and since OVH uses
about 20,000 hard drives a month, it is likely we will be out of stock for few days or even may be some weeks on certain types or completely for our servers. It is not known yet. You therefore advised to order enough new servers in advance and not to take them last minute. If you change the server to new, it is best to postpone this
operation to see in January or February. It is quite likely that given time we have to be block certain order and priority will be given to new customers
not yet at OVH server. Or us to do the renewal for three months to to avoid the turn-over until February. We do not yet know how we will manage these 4 months, it will be rather delicate.

This is a very special situation and we are not comfortable with. Globalisation for some means only the cost reduction with taking maximum risk for the entire
the planet instead of the distribution of risk on different production areas and a better adaptation to the application. The plants are calculated on a financial turn 100% of
time at 100% capacity in order to maximize investment income. We see very quickly that the goal is not to sell and take advantage of growth opportunities that given market, but to manage costs and maximize income, even if it does not meet all the request. This world is not going in the right direction and forces us to make decisions that are not in keeping with the spirit in which we want change. But our responsibility also be taken to avoid a wall that and therefore to make available to negotiate a curve well upstream and then gently.

Friendly
Octave