OVH Community, your new community space.

Xen Guest VM Bridged Network Problems

Myatu
20-11-2011, 11:24
Quote Originally Posted by airwalker
The gateway is unreachable. I have assigned the virtual mac to the address.
Yes, this will be the case during installation. The there's two parts to the failover IPs: 1) the correct gateway and 2) create a route (path) to that gateway.

When you install Ubuntu, or any other Linux distro for that matter, you usually are only given the option to perform that first part. So you'd enter the failover IP, netmask and gateway.

Whilst this will create a default route/path, telling Linux all network traffic has to go through that gateway, Linux does not automatically assume that the gateway is on "eth0" (as Windows would). So it doesn't know where the gateway is - and of course will give you grief now

I'm not sure how you're installing the distro. For within VM's, you need to use the normal ISO's as provided by the Linux distros (some also have pre-made VM's - and Proxmox provides them too).

If they're installed through a VNC-like interface, then simply continue without configuring the network details. The re-boot at the end of the install will take a bit longer than usual, as it'll try to find a DHCP server, but it'll continue to where you can login. That's where you can open a terminal window (if you're using a desktop distro) or use the CLI, and edit /etc/network/interfaces (in Debian or Ubuntu) and modify it according to the guide you've read earlier -- you then have a chance to add the route/path with the "post-up" and "post-down" portions.

Now, if this keeps giving you grief, you can also try an alternative, which is to use an Class A, B or C private IP address for the VM, say 192.168.0.1 and give your bridge an IP of say, 192.168.0.254 (netmask 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 for that). On Virtualisation SW like Proxmox, you could then access the VM from the host by its private IP address - including SSH.

DigitalDaz
18-11-2011, 17:46
What exactly have you installed? xen on top of a raw distro?

citrix xenserver?

Has it installed grub correctly?

The simple way to stop it booting installation media would be to unmount it, then boot.

Any reason you have chosen xen, as Neil said, Proxmox is a breeze and we have a guru or two on the forums.

Neil
18-11-2011, 12:40
Quote Originally Posted by airwalker
I'm not sure if I can make this any clearer. How can I actually get something installed without having network access? None of the templates work. Nor does VMWare ESXi seem to work. It just tries to Netboot and tries DHCP. So basically nothing works on OVH out of the box, which would be ok if the documentation was up to scratch. But it isn't. So it sort of leaves me in limbo.

I understand that I probably have to set some routes up. But how I get myself into that position that I actually can boot to something I don't really know.

Thanks for the offers of help.

:-/
Hi

If you have never done this before then maybe try Proxmox, you can then see KVM and OpenVZ versions then and download the templates to the folder and boot them up and do the network config supplied earlier in this thread.

airwalker
17-11-2011, 19:13
I'm not sure if I can make this any clearer. How can I actually get something installed without having network access? None of the templates work. Nor does VMWare ESXi seem to work. It just tries to Netboot and tries DHCP. So basically nothing works on OVH out of the box, which would be ok if the documentation was up to scratch. But it isn't. So it sort of leaves me in limbo.

I understand that I probably have to set some routes up. But how I get myself into that position that I actually can boot to something I don't really know.

Thanks for the offers of help.

:-/

DigitalDaz
17-11-2011, 00:18
On a bridged setup on Ubuntu, in /etc/network/interfaces, you want similar to:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast
post-up route add 91.xxx.xxx.254 dev eth0
post-up route add default gw 91.xxx.xxx.254 dev eth0

That should do ya

airwalker
16-11-2011, 09:03
Yes I'm referring to the VMs. The Linux install image I'm using boots straight into the installer which I don't seem to be able to break out of. I have tried addin g 'rescue' 'single' 's' '1' etc to the boot options in an attempt to get I a console in either rescue mode or single user but to no avail. maybe I should pursue finding an image that will boot, like a live cd that has virtualisation support in the kernel....Any ideas?

marks
15-11-2011, 17:59
well, you must have access to a kind of console for the VMs, right? that's all you need.

We're talking about the VMs, not the host machine, right?

airwalker
15-11-2011, 11:03
marks,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is I'm booting straight into an installer and I'm not sure where I can get an image from which I could boot straight into a single user mode so that I could even try a tcpdump.

This makes my diagnosis difficult. Do you know where I could find such an image?

Thanks.

marks
15-11-2011, 09:19
Try this:

1) ping the VM from another IP

2) on the VM, run:
Code:
tcpdump host host_ip_where_you_ping_from
Do you see something on the tcpdump?

If you see the ICMP echo reply and request, but the ping doesn't get to the pinging host, copy the logs and open a ticket. That means that the vMAC has to be updated in the ACL of the switch

airwalker
14-11-2011, 21:38
I am trying to run Ubuntu install as a guest VM. I set the IP / netmask and Gateway as described http://help.ovh.ie/BridgeClient.

The gateway is unreachable. I have assigned the virtual mac to the address.

I am not sure what is wrong.

IP: FailoverIP
Netmask: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 91.xxx.xxx.254

Should I try another method? NAT? Or try to get a preconfigured image that I can boot and change the settings (rather than go through install).

Quite frustrated with this :-/