OVH Community, your new community space.

Where to backup on proxmox

james.cookie
22-11-2011, 00:44
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Yes, you can. Now, just curiosity here, is there a reason why you wouldn't want Proxmox itself do the backup of a VM? Or is it something like a MySQL Database data?
Exactly, I don't want a snapshot of the whole VM, just the data from the databases running on two VMs.

Thanks for the response

Myatu
21-11-2011, 20:32
Yes, you can. Now, just curiosity here, is there a reason why you wouldn't want Proxmox itself do the backup of a VM? Or is it something like a MySQL Database data?

james.cookie
20-11-2011, 22:12
You don't want to use the root for this purpose. Proxmox already has a backup directory in /var/lib/vz actually, which it uses to collate live snapshots. You can use this for the same purpose, before sending the file(s) off to another destination. There are also ways of performing these "on-the-fly", but obviously depends on how you access the remote location.
So I can create a directory under /var/lib/vz for my backups and proxmox will ignore it?

Myatu
20-11-2011, 11:45
Quote Originally Posted by james.cookie
Thanks for the reply. I do intend to back up off site as it is indeed safer, however I need a place to collate the information first.
You don't want to use the root for this purpose. Proxmox already has a backup directory in /var/lib/vz actually, which it uses to collate live snapshots. You can use this for the same purpose, before sending the file(s) off to another destination. There are also ways of performing these "on-the-fly", but obviously depends on how you access the remote location.

yonatan
17-11-2011, 14:38
I actually went for the HA-NAS offer, its MUCH MUCH better to know u have HA

nosco
17-11-2011, 01:56
I use Proxmox, and I use a Mini NAS (as linked above) to take live snapshots of the running VM's (4 at present), and then let Proxmox sort out the hows and whys and wherefores of it all. From my point of view it just "happens". No downtime, no faffing around ... just instant snapshots farmed off to somewhere else for later restores if needed! For £9 or whatever it is, can't go wrong.

Mount the Mini NAS as a new filesystem (instructions included with the product if you need them, but it's easy via the Proxmox interface), and Proxmox does the rest.

james.cookie
16-11-2011, 21:18
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do intend to back up off site as it is indeed safer, however I need a place to collate the information first.

James

yonatan
16-11-2011, 15:16
Hi,
the safest location would be an offsite storage system,
pick up one of these: https://www.ovh.co.uk/nas/
they are great for backups

james.cookie
15-11-2011, 22:28
Hi,

I have a proxmox server and I need to back up some data from the VMS I have running on it. First I need to collate the information on the server itself and then I intend to tar it up and send it to the FTP site.

However, this data is quite large (approx 3 GB) so taking a look at where I might put such data:

Code:
root@ks481714:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              10G  2.7G  6.8G  29% /
tmpfs                 7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  648K  9.4M   7% /dev
tmpfs                 7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data  1.8T  7.8G  1.7T   1% /var/lib/vz
I could put in on / somewhere, but that doesn't leave a lot of room for manoeuvring, the obvious place is /var/lib/vz, however, from what I can see that is used by proxmox for storing and configuring the VMs themselves.

So, the questions is: Can I safely use a directory under /var/lib/vz without it getting deleted/tramped on by proxmox and if so, whereabouts is safest?

Regards
James